View Poll Results: Do you use the 'do not track me' option in your browser?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, i did enable it

17 45.95%
  • no, don't care

16 43.24%
  • can't find the checker

3 8.11%
  • i don't know what you talking about

3 8.11%
  • don't use a browser

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do not track me

Lightbulb Do not track me

How many of you, have already enabled the 'do not track me' button in your favorite browser?
    Or did you even find or not bothered looking.

In a nutshell, this feature should tell a website to not track your own footsteps you take from site to site. So that marketing firms can not take advantage off your web habits and create a profile of you.

It would be nice to hear from everyone (well that will not happen) and share your experience. And, does it actually work? We will see.

In firefox you need to go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced and there under Browsing the last checker is for not, well it says anyway.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Default Re: Do not track me

how do I do that with Konqueror?
    Desk: HP Pavilion, Nvidia GeForce GTX460, Atheros Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2, Win7
    Lap: Sony Vaio VPCEB3J1E, Intel GMA 3500, Intel Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2
    Netty: HP Mini 3530, Xubuntu 11.10

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 00:06:01 +0000, JoergJaeger wrote:

> - no, don't care

Noticed it only a few days ago and thought "Wozzat?" As I haven't been
    aware of any ill-effects through not having it switched on, I'm wondering
    how I would notice any improvement - if there were one.

--
    Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks. E-mail: change boy to man
    openSUSE 11.4; KDE 4.6.00; AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+;
    Video: Radeon HD 2400 Pro; Sound: MCP61 HDA (nVidia); Wireless: BCM4318

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoergJaeger View Post
    Or did you even find or not bothered looking.
    I didn't bother.

As I understand it, this is all done on the honor system. It depends on businesses honoring your request to not be tracked.

Some businesses are honorable. But they likely weren't tracking me anyway.

Instead of relying on business, I do my best to thwart most tracking. I run a script to start firefox, and have that script delete most cookies. I restart firefox at least once per day, to be sure that the cookie cleanup occurs. I use "noscript" and "flashblock". And I periodically run a script to delete flash cookies.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

i concur with nrickert, this option "seems" politically correct and a kneejerk response to consumer protest.... but, offers no real protection.

a feel-good remedy.

I've always been opposed to sites tracking me and selected it as soon as it was released.

Here is an example of how insidious this tracking behavior is and why I avoid social networking sites:

Just how creepy is 'Creepy'? A test-drive - The Red Tape Chronicles - msnbc.com

Tracking will soon become unlawful in the US. A law is already before congress. Then websites will be required by law to honor do-not-track.

FireFox is just getting the code in place ahead of time.

Blog Entries

I have now turned on "do not track". I don't expect it to have any noticeable effect.

I was amused when reading this thread. The bottom of the page has a list of "Similar Threads." The list includes "Amarok2, how to add track to collection" and "How to track down the cause of crashes". Obviously, they have not yet solved the AI (artificial intelligence) problem.

Well, as far as tracking goes. Just check this forum. It does get tracked by Google (hey Google).
    Most, if not all websites like to use Google to be placed in front of web searches. In return, every user will be in their databases and thats without any consent. Of course one can argue that by using the web you already gave your consent.
    As far as i know, all major browsers should have this option for the user to select (Internet Explorer, FireFox, Opera, Chrome etc.)
    I heart of one instance, as an example that showed how tracking can affect you, that by researching a product on a certain site, due to tracking that you will get presented the best fit on other websites which have links to major retailers like Amazon. Just look a certain product up for awhile and see what comes up.

I do think that this option, even if its currently only voluntarily, is a good option and if it becomes law anywhere on the planet, it is good thing.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoergJaeger View Post
    Well, as far as tracking goes. Just check this forum. It does get tracked by Google (hey Google).
    Okay. But that's a different issue entirely. By tracking the forum, they pick up the string "JoergJaeger". But they cannot connect that to your computer and to what you do on other sites, especially if you use different login names at those other sites. So they aren't really tracking you, just by building a search database.

They do track a little more than that. Of course it is for marketing purpose, thats what Google does. Selling information.
    https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ogle_Analytics
    Most websites do have a link to Google. Wikipedia is one of the sites, that is free of Google and does offer https.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast