Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unity - the test

Default Unity - the test

Hi, i just picked up this blog post from Phoronix.
    Its kinda sad really and setback for Ubuntu.
    But, for anyone who did not read or heart about it, you may want to read it.

[Phoronix] Ubuntu's Unity Still Crashes A Lot, Usability Problems
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Default Re: Unity - the test

Think KDE 4.0 alpha 0.1, versus KDE 4.6. While Cannonical is not Google, but with their backing it will get to an usable state - as long as videochip companies chime in.
    Last edited by brunomcl; 15-Apr-2011 at 16:20. Reason: typos

I also plan to install Ubuntu 11.04 on an old computer and have a look at it.

This Test by Canonical in Phoronix leads to a not-so-good feeling for me regarding Ubuntu.
    In the last days of my Ubuntu usage I got the impression that all this, all this huge amount of users and requests and bugs is simply too much for them to handle. And then on top of that a new user interface...

Of course I hope that they will get Unity into a state that it is actually stable and userfriendly. But seriously: I doubt it.

this 6 months release cycle is too short.

So speaking for me in an egocentric way: I am glad that I left it behind... a friend of me still uses it (right now 10.04 LTS and he is also complaining about the stability and errors...) but at some day he also needs to upgrade to a version with Unity. This will be in 2013... hopefully they have Unity stablelised until then.
    Desk: HP Pavilion, Nvidia GeForce GTX460, Atheros Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2, Win7
    Lap: Sony Vaio VPCEB3J1E, Intel GMA 3500, Intel Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2
    Netty: HP Mini 3530, Xubuntu 11.10

I think a test like this was a good idea. The bad part is, that people have problem to do fairly simple things. Broken things can be fixed, although if it so a tight schedule i wonder why they had to cram unity for a release.
    I have to make some room on my harddrive to install Ubuntu and see it for myself.
    One thing i know. I don't want to be a programmer working on it. Just imaging the pressure they have right now.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

One problem is additionally: they tried to bring some stuff into Gnome 3 as they also did with Gnome 2 (their notify-osd and so on) but Gnome has rejected it. So I think, they originally have planned with Gnome 3, because their release cyle is set like this: 4 weeks after each Gnome release a new Ubuntu will be released.
    But after Gnome has rejected the Ubuntu stuff, a big discussion came up, which heated more and more and the result is that Ubuntu started Unity also for desktops. This might be wrong but this is my impression and the summary of all the information I read on blogs and news sites.
    So my further impression is: just to fullfill the release cycle, they press on with Unity for the next release. Of course they can not do anything else, because now Gnome 3 is released and they would have to use Gnome 3 with 11.04 if they follow the Gnome release cycle.
    If I were them, I would simply delay the next version until october. But on the other hand, with an early release, you get feedback and more information about bugs. So maybe this release will cause a lot of screaming and headache but it is also very very useful because they get information how users like it, and how it performs.
    But the openSUSE forums should also prepare for a wave of converts

I also wouldnt want to be a Canonical employee right now....
    Desk: HP Pavilion, Nvidia GeForce GTX460, Atheros Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2, Win7

Why don't they try the way openSUSE (and many other distros) went with KDE4? They offered KDE3 along with KDE4-development-versions starting with 11.0 (if I remember correctly) until 11.2 or 11.3 (I am not sure whether it's even possible to still install it from the 11.4-KDE3-repo).

Canonical did the same with Kubuntu: once it was called "stable", they substituted KDE3 with KDE4 without any fallback, although back then KDE4 was far from being mature.

I just don't get it. Probably they just don't have enough staff to manage it all.

Default Απ: Re: Unity - the test

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    Why don't they try the way openSUSE (and many other distros) went with KDE4? They offered KDE3 along with KDE4-development-versions starting with 11.0 (if I remember correctly) until 11.2 or 11.3 (I am not sure whether it's even possible to still install it from the 11.4-KDE3-repo).

Canonical did the same with Kubuntu: once it was called "stable", they substituted KDE3 with KDE4 without any fallback, although back then KDE4 was far from being mature.

I just don't get it. Probably they just don't have enough staff to manage it all.
    I agree with gropiuskalle. Why do not they try with openSUSE? openSUSE is the best solution for KDE. I speak generally in KDE.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Απ: Re: Unity - the test

I've tried the alpha and beta of 11.04 but couldn't seem to feel at home with Unity in it's present state. In fact I then tried Kubuntu 11.04 and it works quite well but all that drove me to find a KDE distro that was smooth and I ended up back a SuSE 11.4 which just seems to run for me.

I think Conical wanted to get out from under Gnome and thus the birth of Unity but as it stands right now it will need a couple more release cycles to become mature enough to be usable for everyday use. If I had not gone with Suse KDE I most likely would have used XFCE or LXDE. But I not sold on either Gnome 3 or Unity Just don't really see the need but then I don't use a netbook or handheld device either.

I think Unity is lovely, hopefully it'll be as buggy as possible and forced as default - that oughta move a new batch of people to using openSUSE ;-)

Yes, I'm evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    I think Unity is lovely, hopefully it'll be as buggy as possible and forced as default - that oughta move a new batch of people to using openSUSE ;-)

Yes, I'm evil.
    hmm... I think most of the Ubuntu users who experience bugs and so on will switch over to Mint. Mint is .deb and therefore familiar for most of them. Personally I dont care if it is .rpm or .deb but a lot of ubuntus do because they dont have so much of a clue whats going on in the Linuxworld.
    And the ones with a clue will stay because they figure out how to fix Unity respectivley how they can install plain Gnome 2 on their machine.

But, sure, there will be some new users over here too. Hopefully

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast