Updating kernel 11.4

I’m trying to figure out how to update the kernel in 11.4 from the repository. I have the stable repo added, but i’m not sure how to get it updated.

My question is WHY?!

If your kernel meets all requirements about your hardware and you have no quirks and gremlins, I will advise you to go to YaST and TABOO kernel to prevent it from updates.

Newer kernels bring new features and improvements

Nevermind I figured it out.

Wait, your kernel based on opensuse OSS repo and update repo. So if you want to upgrade your kernel you must find the current update repo.

assas1n wrote:

>
> Newer kernels bring new features and improvements
>
Which are in most cases useless for anybody running a kernel version which
just works.
The only exception to this are security fixes.
I cannot understand why someone wants to update just because there is
something (and it can even be worse) you can update without any rationale.

If a new kernel brings improvements and new features depends on your system.
Better support for wlan chip xyz helps nobody who has chip abc and so on.

PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.1 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
ION | 3GB Ram

I’m updating because I have an amd fusion laptop.

So and I have Amd radeon 6990 and Amd processor, but in my opinion, before making upgrade save your files.

Upgrading processing

su
# zypper addrepo -f <Kernel's repo>
# zypper dup

And reboot.

Thanks i’ll try that.

Just keep in mind: NEVER, EVER, FIX WHAT AIN’T BROKEN.

Just keep in mind: NEVER, EVER, FIX WHAT AIN’T BROKEN.

Actually one reason why Linux is considered a pretty secure system is because it has a systemwide software management which lets you roll in fixes with ease for every single package installed shortly after a fixed version is released.

I am not sure what ‘stable’-repo is meant here, but in case of the update repository, one will only get security- and bugfixes, no new features (hence the version number of for example the Kernel).

In my opinion I agree with Emil about that, But if someone wants to make experiments with his/her computer, he can make it.

If you want to upgrade your kernel you must use the openSUSE OSS repo and update repo.

With your existing kernel is ok. In my opinion you have full support for your processor. And no problems at all.
I have AMD phenom II x3 as my processor and AMD Radeon 6990 as my graphics card. Should I upgrade my kernel? The answer is no with a overclocking you are ok.

But if someone wants to make experiments with his/her computer, he can make it.

When updating the Kernel from the update-repo, it is not really an experiment (again: it only provides bugfixes, no new features). As I said: those fast fixes are one reason why Linux is so secure. One should not avoid such fixes for the chance of something being broken - instead, one should always have a backup of the system-partition at hand for the rare occasion that a fix will cause more trouble than it solves. But that “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it”-attitude is pretty much the opposite of what Linux stands for, I think (at least referring to bugfixes and security issues).

One should strongly distinguish between updates and upgrades, those are two very different things.

Sorry for misunderstanding, I said about upgrade, update is ok and acceptable, yeahhh.
Of course these two things are different, but in my opinion and only for this thread upgrading is not necessary.

Well, actually, updates and bugfixes are very relative. For example, if you use Atheros card, and bugfix came to Tulip cards, you don’t really need it, right?
What will happen, in 90% of cases that your graphics driver will be screwed, possibly virtualbox driver etc. One should really read changelog before updating.

Anyways, if you have laptop/desktop (not server), and everything works fine, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade unless bugfixes includes something you use.

Well, actually, updates and bugfixes are very relative. For example, if you use Atheros card, and bugfix came to Tulip cards, you don’t really need it, right?

Once again: that would not be an update (= fixing bugs and security issues) but an upgrade (providing new features). Frosteh is asking about updating the kernel. Besides, providing a new feature does not really mean it would harm another feature. The Kernel contains tons of stuff a single user would never need per se.

Anyways, if you have laptop/desktop (not server), and everything works fine, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade unless bugfixes includes something you use.

Quite nobody is expert enough to judge whether a set of updates presented by the package manager is reasonable or not. Some might be experts for kernel fixes, other know their way about KDE-packages or what have you, but nobody can judge the fixes of an entire system - that’s why we have bughunters, maintainers and package managers who sum up their work for us. The thing is, when a security issue strikes, your system worked fine until then - how do you decide which fix is worth updating and which not? Only looking for new features actually increases the risk of things being broken.

I myself aim for bleeding edge, at least for some parts of my system - I mention that to show that I am not paranoid about such stuff. But one should know what he / she is doing.

Well yes, as you said, we can resume it to a personal point of view. I am going for cutting edge, not quite bleeding edge, as it happened that it can bleed too much for my taste.
However, kernel is a priority only when something is not working as it happened with Broadcom before 11.4 final release. (my case).

Updating and upgrading kernel is acceptable, but only for this thread is not necessary.

Should you or shouldn’t you, there are good arguments on both sides. For years now, I have always upgraded when a new kernel is available. I can think of only two times running into problems and the fix for both was fairly easy.