Speed up Google Chrome?

I have long preferred Google Chrome as my browser. But it has been getting slower and slower, it seems. My home page is the “New Tab” page which is a list of favorites and recently closed pages. It takes quite a long time to start up. Worse, I usually click the link to my gmail account first and it takes a very long time to load! I would think that Chrome would load google pages fastest.

I rarely use Firefox, but I did a speed comparison. Chrome took 20 seconds to get a usable page loaded where Firefox took about 12 seconds using gmail as my home page. Clicking the link to gmail in Chrome added another 20 seconds to get a usable page. I should add that I have FF set to open 4 tabs at once. So, it is about 12 seconds vs. 40.

I can only guess that there are some settings in Chrome which should be tweaked. Does anybody know of any? I have the latest versions of Chrome, FF and 11.4 with KDE 4.6.2. My internet download speed is many MBs. I presume they both use the same Verizon DNS server.

Try Tools>Preferences>Under the bonnet>Privacy>Learn more and see if you want to disable some of the settings. Not tried it myself but it looks the most likely place to find something.

The only thing that looks like it might have influence is the Proxy setting. It says I am using my system proxy. However, if I click the change button, the details say I connect directly to the internet; which is true. I have no proxy. Don’t know what to make of this.