Wrong permissions on upgrading Virtualbox

Hi all,

I’ve used 11.4 since release, without any problems whatsoever.

Still no problem (here comes the but), when I upgrade Virtualbox from zypper, here’s what I get:

Installing: virtualbox-4.0.4-17.1 [done]
Additional rpm output:
creating group vboxusers...
setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxBFE to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0755)
setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0755)
setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSDL to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0755)
setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetAdpCtl to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0755)
setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong owner/group root:root permissions 0755)

Installing: virtualbox-qt-4.0.4-17.1 [done]
Additional rpm output:
setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0755)

I just want to know what that means. I’ve added myself to the vboxuser group too:\

I’m using the free virtualbox, just in case anybody was wondering:)

Any advice always gratefully received :wink:

Thanks!

I have the same. In my case Virtualbox can be run only as root user.

I solved my problem by removing .VirtualBox directory from the home directory of my regular user (not user). But when I still getting this message when installing Virtualbox.
This forum threadcould be useful for some one

Are you a member of vboxusers? Need to be, in Yast join vboxusers save and then reboot

Yes, I am. I became a member right after program installation (of course, I logout after adding user to the group).

So do you actually have any problem now except for that messages?

Those messages “setting xxx to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0755)” are no errors. They just inform you that those files’ permissions have been adjusted to match your security settings (/etc/sysconfig/security and /etc/permissions.*).

On 11/01/2013 12:46 AM, gogalthorp pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> Are you a member of vboxusers? Need to be, in Yast join vboxusers save
> and then reboot

You only need to logout && login.