Installing Gnome 3 - Not happening like others

I added the repository from stable, the did a ‘sudo zypper dup’ and nothing… it did some stuff but didnt really do anything (asides: moved over some packages from suse rep to gnome rep) … I still have Gnome 2.32…
What has happened?

You chose gnome3 session at the login screen?

Not even there, just GNOME… I cant quite see why it hasnt done anything.
Everyone else seems to get serious issues, and I would be fine with solving that. But ‘zypper dup’ didnt really do anything with the rep. WHy could this be?

Hi,

For now, the official repo of GNOME 3 has some issues. So, it is wise to wait a little until someone post a confirmation that everything is fixed.

@ caf4926, do we have news of the state of this repo ? Maybe we should post an announce stating that users should wait before doing a zypper dup with this repo enabled until we are sure from the devs taht all issues have been fixed. What do you think?

@ caf4926, do we have news of the state of this repo ? Maybe we should post an announce stating that users should wait before doing a zypper dup with this repo enabled until we are sure from the devs taht all issues have been fixed. What do you think?

I just tried this in a test partition myself and it’s worked OK. It’s not 100% but I don’t have time to look much now as I have to sleep.

I don’t know why so many are switching to this so soon. It’s not a good idea. Especially if you have to ask questions about what to do if you get in a mess.

You are so right about that. I don’t even know too. People are impatient and would rather got into a mess just to do the switch. :\

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:36:01 +0000, StephenS1949 wrote:

> I added the repository from stable, the did a ‘sudo zypper dup’ and
> nothing… it did some stuff but didnt really do anything (asides:
> moved over some packages from suse rep to gnome rep) … I still have
> Gnome 2.32…
> What has happened?

The repo is apparently not ready yet. Some of us jumped the gun and
they’re still working out issues. I would expect it to not work at this
stage.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I believe people are making the swap as it has entered the STABLE repository. This leaves users with a sense of completion… hence attempting update.
I personally have no issue with getting into bother, its how you learn - I’ve had it many times over the last 6+ years. I asked for help as I had an unusual encounter - it did nothing haha
Thanks anyway