Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: upgrade from 11.3 to 11.4 -- good idea?

Default upgrade from 11.3 to 11.4 -- good idea?

I'm currently running opensuse 11.3 with Gnome and I downloaded the 11.4 iso yesterday and was considering doing an over-the-top upgrade. But I've been browsing through the forums and it looks like a lot of people have been having issues with 11.4.

So what is the general consensus on 11.4 so far? Is it recommended to stay with 11.3? If I do try to upgrade, what types of "gotcha's" am I likely to experience.

And since 11.4 comes with LibraOffice but 11.3 has OpenOffice, will it automatically remove the old and install the new or should I manuualy uninstall OO first?

Default Re: upgrade from 11.3 to 11.4 -- good idea?

11.3 was a little bit quirky for me, and I've found 11.4 to be more stable and faster on my hardware. I did a clean install, though, and would recommend the same. Since you've been browsing the forums, I'm sure you've seen some of the issues from upgrading over 11.3.

LibreOffice will replace OpenOffice.org as fare as I know.

Whether or not to upgrade can be a tough decision. I kept 11.2 on my parents computer until they're power supply fried, and I've since put 11.4 on there. I love checking out the latest and greatest and can deal with issues when they arise. My parents need the rock solid stability. It's all a matter of preference. You can always use a live disk for a while before installing.
    I'm confused...No, wait...Maybe I'm not...

The only problem with doing a clean install is that I've got quite a bit of apps installed in my 11.3 as well as customized settings and I don't relish the idea of reinstalling everything and then reconfiguring everything. I remember in the 10.x days, I went from 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.3 with no problems but reading through the forum, it looks like 11.4 has been more problematic. I'd be interesting in hearing other's experiences. Has anyone done a 11.3 to 11.4 inplace upgrade and had NO problems?

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:36:02 +0530, jgosney
    <jgosney@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
    > The only problem with doing a clean install is that I've got quite a bit
    > of apps installed in my 11.3 as well as customized settings and I don't
    > relish the idea of reinstalling everything and then reconfiguring
    > everything. I remember in the 10.x days, I went from 10.1 to 10.2 to
    > 10.3 with no problems but reading through the forum, it looks like 11.4
    > has been more problematic. I'd be interesting in hearing other's
    > experiences. Has anyone done a 11.3 to 11.4 inplace upgrade and had NO
    > problems?
    >

i kept the /home partition in place and didn't experience much
    difficulties. most or many applications will need to be reinstalled
    anyway, since their versions differ from 11.3-11.4, so i don't see much
    point trying to leave the other partitions in place. in case older files
    don't get replaced by 'zypper dup', that's likely to lead to trouble. most
    of the customization happens in /home, so you won't have too much of your
    efforts wasted.

--
    phani.

On 2011-04-13 18:06, jgosney wrote:

> Has anyone done a 11.3 to 11.4 inplace upgrade and had NO
    > problems?

Here you will mostly see the problem histories, not the success histories.
    And there are differences between live upgrade or DVD boot and upgrade.

11.4 is still young. On every version a lot of problems are discovered the
    first month and it takes some time to correct them. I'm waiting.

My recommendation if you have the itching is to test the new version in a
    spare partition, and if it works, do a full backup and upgrade the main
    partition. If it goes bad, you can restore.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

My recommendation if you have the itching is to test the new version in a
    spare partition, and if it works, do a full backup and upgrade the main
    partition. If it goes bad, you can restore.
    Or if you have the hardware, you can install Virtualbox and mess around with 11.4 while keeping your 11.3 in tact. It's also easy to make and restore from snapshots if something goes terribly wrong.
    I'm confused...No, wait...Maybe I'm not...

I've been using the same /home since OS 11.0 through every version up to 11.4, since 11.3 it's been exported as an nfs mount to two other machines in conjuction with nis logins

It was a lot more finnicky in 11-11.2, but bear in mind that was from around when kde4 was coming in and maturing, than it was on installing the later ones, but hasn't been much that didn't 'just work' in the newer versions of most apps

I've currently got the machine the /home is exported from still running 11.3, and the two other machines I mount the exported nfs /home on running 11.4 without any glitches whatsoever

Out of curiosity I logged into a desktop on the machine containing the /home just to see if it had any adverse effect on app settings, desktop configuration etc, the only thing I've found is that I'm using the Search and Launch desktop layout since installing 11.4, on 11.3 using the layout I can't get any right-click menus on the desktop itself, meaning I can't do stuff like change the wallpaper, add widgets etc

So that little issue aside, it wouldn't after all be relevant to a 'normal' desktop machine install, installing 11.4 using the same /home partition you were in 11.3 should be pretty flawless & seamless

(Incidentally I tried the Search and Launch layout on two other machines using local /homes still running 11.3 and they both had the same right-click issue, and cos you can't right-click ... darned if I know how to change it back!)

I've always prefered a 'fresh install' over an upgrade and I don't think I'm alone in that, and more often than not I use a network install disk so as to be starting out with the latest versions of things from the word go, if you use anything else you end up downloading the same stuff as updates once the installion' finishes as updates anyway ... so you wait for it all to install, then wait for it to download as updates then install all over again

But the real beauty of a network install is you're more likely to end up with less stuff you've no use for and never use, though on the downside it does mean a little more work afterwards in terms of installing things like libraries, kernel headers, apps you always use etc, if that stuff puts you off I'd go with a dvd install

I've just previewed that and not sure which I've been the most, helpful or confusing, so to sum up ...

Personally I would do a fresh install keeping your original /home, just mount it without formatting during the partition setup part, use either 'edit' or 'create partition setup', I always use create, and everything should work fine for you

On 2011-04-14 01:06, Wrath5000 wrote:

> Or if you have the hardware, you can install Virtualbox and mess around
    > with 11.4 while keeping your 11.3 in tact. It's also easy to make and
    > restore from snapshots if something goes terribly wrong.

Absolutely.
    Although you still need to test the real thing for a hardware test.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

OK. After reading all the responses, I think I'm going to give the upgrade a shot -- but I'm going to wait until Monday. Don't want to go into the weekend with a bunch of problems to fix. I will report back in this thread my results.

I think the best way to backup my current system would just be create a .tar of everything and put it aside. then if 11.4 blows everything up, I can just untar that file and be back where I started.

I just did the 11.3 to 11.4 upgrade a couple days ago. It went quite smoothly but it did change my bootsplash screen to some hideous Suse bootsplash. It was easy enough to switch back to my nice one though. For some reason it deleted my VirtualBox app. So I downloaded the latest RPM from virtualbox.org and reinstalled it, all of my virtual disks were still there so it didn't hurt too bad. Everything else appears to be ok but I've only got about 4 hours of use with 11.4. On the plus side, I did gain 2 gigs of disk space. If anything breaks I'll let you know.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast