Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selecting video card drivers and screen resolution on 11.4 KDE

Default Selecting video card drivers and screen resolution on 11.4 KDE

The installer has left me with 1,024 by 768 pixels and a driver that will not reach anything like the res my card and monitor will cope with. The display is currently blanking every 30secs or so for a very brief interval as well.

I may have missed something on the install but there didn't seem to be any opertunity to choose either a driver or monitor type. I was eating my dinner through most of it.

I had a brief flirtation with Mandriva and know that linux should be able to nearly fully support my monitor which is 1680x1050 by Belinea. Earlier open suse install gave the option of seting this sort of thing up and listed all of Berlinea's monitors as well.

The card is an nvidia 210 by Asus. Reported as a 200. I do not want to try installing an nvidia driver yet as I understand that there will be problems. Also I have a YAST ipv6 dns problem = no updates.

Any painless ideas, even installing again? Please be gentle with me I am not fond of the consol.

John

Default Re: Selecting video card drivers and screen resolution on 11.4 KDE

It's worse now. I have managed a temporary fix for the ipv6 problem and have updated including an nvidia driver. This now gives me a max resolution of 640x480 as installed. Just how can yast etc pick a res like that? The card is a 210 silent and it does recognise that it's a 200 series and that it's more recent than many other nvidia driver options.

I have had a quick look but strongly suspect it wont help much but I can try some of the suggestions.

On the initial problem before the update a generic vesa driver will offer far better resolutions especially if it gets the info from the card itself. No doubt that is included in the distro.

John

As I suspected the links are of no use what so ever. May be of use if graphics do not work at all.

What I have is the correct drivers for my nvidia card installed by yast. They even seem to be loaded correctly but on every boot screen suse shows a low res vga mode in the boot options. For some reason and with no explanation I can now boot either of 2 11.4 installations. Both behave in the same way. Deleting the video boot mode makes no difference on either,

I have managed to generate a fresh x11 conf file for the card. Nvidia offer a lot better help on that aspect. Doesn't make any difference so Suse must also have tucked something away some where while installing the nvidia driver that is causing the problem. Talk about making things worse.

Looking though X's files it also seems that X needs monitor information to do it's job properly. It also notes that some aspects of the set up yast has established are larger than the display size.

Frankly if a distro involves this degree of problems people who can easily cope with these sort of issues would probably be better off going down the Archlinux route. There you are likely to be dealing with near vanilla code from top to bottom. Suse used to offer a relatively safe easy route to linux and a desktop. That doesn't seem to be the case these days and it looks to me like there are better and easier options elsewhere especially for people who do not really want to get involved with the console. This is from some one that has used linux for rather a long time and has spent most of his working life at the sharp end of software of one sort or another.

John

Blog Entries

Hi John. It would be useful if you could share the Xorg.0.log contents with us. Upload it to SUSE Paste (or equivalent) and post the link to it here. Then someone may be able to provide further assistance with your problem.

For most of us hardware detection just works, but some monitors do not play nicely with respect to EDID. Fortunately, the nvidia driver comes with nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-settings utilities that can assist with configuring xorg.conf to produce a suitable display resolution. (There are many threads on this already if you're prepared to spend a little time searching and reading).

Blog Entries

If you're familiar with editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf files by hand, you could use nvidia-xconfig to generate a working xorg.conf, then add a manual modeline (use the cvt utility to generate one suitable for your monitor).

Here is a good reference for xorg.conf options available for the nvidia driver:

AppendixB.X Config Options

The following options can be used to disable EDID if required:

Code:
      Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "FALSE"
        Option "UseEDIDDpi" "FALSE"
        Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"

Hi I did use nvidia-xconfig to generate the xorg.conf file. I also used it's modeslist feature to add modes which are suitable for the card and my monitor.

I've found the nvidia man files very useful. I have used it's suggested shell command to check what is actually loaded at run time and that is correct. The only issue is the resolution. It's just offers 640x480 and 320x240 in the nvidia desktop facility. I assume this is down to the automatic boot parameters added by YAST as these are the max resolution that I can obtain. The only error (warning) in the x log file is the one that I have already mentioned - it's using it's default display size and that it isn't big enough. I would guess that the initial kde bar was twice the width of the screen so maybe the default is an old 80 column vdu.

I've played with cvt. Here I have some confusion. X appears to need screen size and resolution to calculate dpi in real terms. Going back to 9.x this was actually asked for during installation / could be added later - long time ago so not sure. Also the installation offered to upgrade to nvidia drivers immediately. Not that the long term ipv6 problems would allow that after they were introduced in 9.something this time. 10.1 my last upgrade before this one fully utilized my nvidia 7600 card. The 11.4 upgrade did too for a while and then dropped back. Later it dropped even further and the screen flashed every 30 secs. Fresh install, new card - the 210 and I get the same low res and flashing. Install the nvidia driver and lowest res to date - two kernel boot options etc etc but no screen flashes any more.

I note the link and it's content but I think the best way forwards is a system wide file search for the graphics mode boot parameter YAST has stuffed in as this clearly over rides everything else. 2nd standard utilities will report all modes a card can support. Seems I will have to enter them by hand. 3rd I should have a floppy for my monitor but haven't any more. Maybe belinea will still have it as it's still on sale. This might help with X's other problems but means a completely fresh install rather than one that for some reason seems to take note of the previous one even when I tell it not too - how else did the 1st install keep my earlier screen resolution etc. Worse still why did it loose it. All I did was reboot a few times trying to get yast to use ipv4. Seems the earlier os nvidia driver was more capable than the current one. I can think of no other explanation.

All a bit sad really as from my perspective suse took a dive with the release of 11.0 as far as kde was concerned. Looks to me like they still haven't surfaced and have gone even deeper.

John

It looks like the problem is down to the default monitor size. The boot parameters is actually setting 800x600 16bit colour.

What I really need now is info on setting up display parameters to do the job properly.

John

Blog Entries

You didn't post /var/log/Xorg.0.log output as requested.
    The only issue is the resolution. It's just offers 640x480 and 320x240 in the nvidia desktop facility. I assume this is down to the automatic boot parameters added by YAST as these are the max resolution that I can obtain.
    I note the link and it's content but I think the best way forwards is a system wide file search for the graphics mode boot parameter YAST has stuffed in as this clearly over rides everything else.
    YaST has nothing to do with it. Configuration is done by the X-server and the driver (with EDID from the monitor) - usually automatically, but /etc/X11/xorg.conf can still be used when automatic detection fails for some reason.
    2nd standard utilities will report all modes a card can support.
    The command you're referring to is 'xrandr'. However, this does not always reliably report all the display modes when using a proprietary driver. I think you should read the guides that consused provided links to, so that you gain some useful knowledge about this. (You seem to be a bit confused about how it all works).
    What I really need now is info on setting up display parameters to do the job properly.
    It is still possible to create/etc/X11/xorg.conf via nvidia-xconfig and edit by hand if necessary. One can add manual modelines if required. I was leading up to that, but you haven't supplied the first requested Xorg.0.log output (via suse.paste or similar due to its length).

BTW, what type of video cable/connectors are you using? (VGA, DVI...)

What I now have is 640x480 display which is one of the modes I have added and x starts up ok but the kde login is in the top left of the display and most of it is off the screen. I can log in though but only the bottom right hand of the kde desktop is visible in the top left hand corner. I would say roughly 1/4 area wise. I assume that the higher res modes are now available in the nvidia config utility but can't get at them to check and I assume it wont alter the position of kde's screen.

Any ideas?

Curiously X wouldn't let me put a list of modes in one line in the monitor section or for some reason it doesn't like 800x600 which was the 2nd mode in the list.

John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast