Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to set Auto eth0 IP address

Default How to set Auto eth0 IP address

Hello,

I want to set my desktop IP address to always be 192.168.1.2. The NetworkManager connects to the network automatically and the IP address is assigned randomly. I can set up another connection in NetworkManager and always change over. But is there any way to make the default eth0 interface to be permanently set to a certain address (using NetworkManager, not ifup)?

Thanks.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15 | KDE 5 | Intel i-7500 | Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING | Asus EX-GTX1050TI-O4G nVidia
    Laptop Asus UL30A: openSUSE Leap 15 | KDE 5 | Intel SU7300

Default Απ: How to set Auto eth0 IP address

Go to yast-->network devices-->network settings
    And then choose processing/more details--> Network IP and choose static and write this IP in gap.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Blog Entries

Default Re: Απ: How to set Auto eth0 IP address

That is you LAN IP
    It's configured in your router, usually via address reservation
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: How to set Auto eth0 IP address

Where is processing/more details--> Network IP? When I open YAST there's only 4 tabs: Global Options, Overview, Hostname/DNS and Routing.

The only place I know where you can set IP address in is the Overview -> Edit controller. But it's disabled when NetworkManager is enabled. I can't see any other place wher you can set an IP address with the NetworkManager being the default network control method. And NetworkManager itself doesn't have any options for changing eth0 settings. Everything's automatic.

I'm happy to add my own setting to NM, but it always chooses the default one when the computer boots up. If the NM is the only place to set an IP address, how can I make it to choose my new interface by default?
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15 | KDE 5 | Intel i-7500 | Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING | Asus EX-GTX1050TI-O4G nVidia

My router distributes IP addresses randomly. I thought it must have been the router where you set permanent IP addresses, but it didn't work. So I changed my NAS IP to manual and it always stays as I made it. But my desktop and laptops always change their IPs. Do you think the router is faulty? It's a D-Link DVA-G3670B. Maybe it is broken, I set my wireless name to be hidden but it's always visible. Then I set all IPs to be set by certain MAC addresses. This worked until I rebooted the router and then all hell broke loose - all IPs got messed up and I had to disconnect every single device and reconnect them one by one to get certain IPs. Does this sound weird to you?

Blog Entries

Address reservation is usually set by MAC because that is unique to each device connecting.

You know there is sure to be a manual for your router.
    Rebooting it should not be the cause of any issues.
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Yes, I know. I know how to set IPs in the router. Well, I thought I knew until I bought that D-Link DVA-G3670B which doesn't reserve anything. My previous router did that, it reserved IP addresses based on MAC. Not this one. I guess it's a bug in the firmware. That's why I wanted to set my IPs manually because the router couldn't.

And until D-Link fix their firmware, is there a way to make NetworkManager to set the default eth0 IP address manually?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by linuxoidoz View Post
    But is there any way to make the default eth0 interface to be permanently set to a certain address (using NetworkManager, not ifup)?
    It might be possible with the gnome Network Manager applet. I tried that for a while, as described in:
    Gave up Knetworkmanager. Made Networkmanager-GNOME work on KDE4!
    and it was possible to setup system connections. However, I didn't try changing the "Auto eth0" connection.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

On 04/13/2011 06:36 AM, linuxoidoz wrote:
    >
    > Yes, I know. Well, I thought I knew until I bought that D-Link
    > DVA-G3670B which doesn't reserve anything. My previous router did that,
    > it reserved IP addresses based on MAC. Not this one. I guess it's a bug
    > in the firmware. That's why I wanted to set my IPs manually because the
    > router couldn't.

Most routers are programmed to try to serve the same address to a given MAC
    until they are rebooted, which resets the tables in the firmware. At that point,
    it will be first come - first served. If your DHCP server does not have to
    ability to supply an IP number based on MAC address, then any fixed IPs will
    have to be (1) located outside the dynamic range of the server to avoid
    collisions, and (2) set up in the Connection Manager if using NetworkManager, or
    with YaST is using ifup. With eth0, you are likely using the latter method as I do.

Not implementing MAC - IP correspondence is not a bug in the firmware. Most home
    routers are severely memory limited, thus many features are missing.

Blog Entries

I just changed my Netgear as 2 of the LAN ports had gone flaky - It had MAC - IP reservation

My replacement TP-Link also supports it

I need it too, because I forward specific ports to my LAN IP
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast