Sound in openSUSE 11.4 Thumbleweed

I ve installed this repo and sound is very weak now. What can be a reason?

What repo?

Thumbleweed, due to rolling distro.

Have you installed Gstreamer, XINE,Gmerlin-alsamixer?

On 04/12/2011 12:06 PM, petrherynk wrote:
>
> Thumbleweed, due to rolling distro.
>

all Tumbleweed problems should be solved in the Tumbleweed forum
<http://tinyurl.com/3ljwanm> and/or the Factory mail list
<opensuse-factory+subscribe@opensuse.org>

CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP via openSUSE 11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Thunderbird3.1.8]
Maybe the developers are not here because they are so busy fixing these>
http://tinyurl.com/392jnb

Maybe we must help here and not to Tumbleweed forum?

Please post the result from running the command (as normal user):

zypper lr -d

After copy and pasting results, you should wrap them in CODE tags (Go Advanced>highlight text>click on “#” icon).

zypper lr -d

| Alias | Jméno | povoleno | Obnovit | Priorita | Typ | Adresa URI | Služba

—±-------------------------±---------------------------±---------±--------±---------±-------±-------------------------------------------------------------------------------±------
1 | Essentials | Essentials | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/Factory/Essentials |
2 | Tumbleweed | Tumbleweed | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed/standard |
3 | factory | factory | Ne | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/factory |
4 | games | games | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/games/openSUSE_Factory |
5 | google-chrome | google-chrome | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/i386 |
6 | home:eugeneus | home:eugeneus | Ne | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/home:/eugeneus/openSUSE_11.2 |
7 | libdvdcss | libdvdcss | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/11.3/ |
8 | openSUSE:Factory:Contrib | openSUSE:Factory:Contrib | Ne | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/Factory:/Contrib/standard |
9 | packman | packman | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/11.3 |
10 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.4-Debug | Ne | Ano | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
11 | repo-debug-update | openSUSE-11.4-Update-Debug | Ne | Ano | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/update/11.4 |
12 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss | Ano | Ano | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/non-oss |
13 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Oss | Ano | Ano | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
14 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.4-Source | Ano | Ano | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
15 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.4-Update | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.4 |
16 | science | science | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/science/openSUSE_Factory |

Thank very much for your help.

Why is repo #9 enabled? It’s for 11.3 and will conflict with 11.4 packman repos! You should remove it.

Disable or remove repo #1 it is not for Tumbleweed. Instead you need to add a Packman for Tumbleweed repo from Additional Repositories page in Wiki.

In addition, I would disable all other repos except for 11.4 Oss, 11.4 Non-oss, 11.4 Update, Tumbleweed, and a Packman for Tumbleweed. Then if you want us to check your new repo configuration, post back with the result of a new “zypper lr -d”.

After correcting the repo config, you will need to upgrade again, using either “zypper dup” or Yast. Tell us which method you prefer, so we can advise further.

I corrected these repos, upgraded with command “zypper dup …”, but result is the same.

zypper lr -d

| Alias | Jméno | povoleno | Obnovit | Priorita | Typ | Adresa URI | Služba

—±-------------------------±---------------------------±---------±--------±---------±-------±-------------------------------------------------------------------------------±------
1 | Essentials | Essentials | Ne | Ne | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/Factory/Essentials |
2 | Tumbleweed | Tumbleweed | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed/standard |
3 | factory | factory | Ne | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/factory |
4 | games | games | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/games/openSUSE_Factory |
5 | google-chrome | google-chrome | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/i386 |
6 | libdvdcss | libdvdcss | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/11.3/ |
7 | openSUSE:Factory:Contrib | openSUSE:Factory:Contrib | Ne | Ne | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/Factory:/Contrib/standard |
8 | packman-essentials | packman-essentials | Ano | Ne | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/ |
9 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.4-Debug | Ne | Ne | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
10 | repo-debug-update | openSUSE-11.4-Update-Debug | Ne | Ne | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/update/11.4 |
11 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss | Ano | Ano | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/non-oss |
12 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Oss | Ano | Ano | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
13 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.4-Source | Ano | Ano | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
14 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.4-Update | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.4 |
15 | science | science | Ano | Ano | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/science/openSUSE_Factory |

In that case, why are so many repos still enabled (>5)? The suggestion to disable other repos (e.g. #4, 5, 13 and 15) wasn’t made for fun! It’s required to simplify testing and troubleshooting. You can re-enable them later as required. Volunteer forum helpers don’t have time to go through all those extra repos to check for potentially conflicting packages.

What exactly was the zypper dup command [including options] used for the upgrade?

Repo #8 (packman) should be set to auto refresh. BTW, repos #11 and #12 don’t need auto refresh as they never change.

Are you running KDE, Gnome, or what?

I’ll move this to the Tumbleweed forum soon, best place for it.

@petrherynk: there are some interesting discussions of repos in these two threads:
Options for updating packages when using Tumbleweed
The repos that should / should not be enabled for Tumbleweed

I believe that since the Tumbleweed repo changes pretty-much daily, these are the only repos that should be enabled after the upgrade process is complete:

• Tumbleweed
  • Tumbleweed All of Packman
  • Updates-for-openSUSE-11.4

You can have all sorts of additional repos attached, but disabled – but they should be enabled only from time to time when you need a particular software addition. @consused had a good expression for how to use additional repos: “cherrypick” the software that you need.

Indeed, that would be a useful move to Tumbleweed forum.

That works until an update from 11.4 Updates repo or from Tumbleweed-packman repo needs to install an additional package dependency from 11.4 Oss repo (less likely from Non-oss).

I suppose that’s a confirmation of the advice that “Tumbleweed is not (yet) for newbies”. I prefer to have the standard 11.4 unticked until something in the 11.4 update repo complains that a dependency is unsatisfied (in case I’m daydreaming while I’m running YOU). There are many ways to get a job done, the important thing I suppose is to have a process with some caution built into it.

Reference your original question, a reason the sound could be weak may be because your mixer has the sound set low.

Without further information provided, that would be the logical answer and no where did you note you increased the volume as much as possible in the mixer and as much as possible with the pulse audio volume control application which is called ‘pavucontrol’. If you wish someone to take more of a look at this, then I recommend you provide all the information that is recommended to be provided as described in our “welcome to multimedia” stickie: Welcome to multimedia sub-area in the quoted section.