Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE-11.4: Firefox 4 freezes

Default openSUSE-11.4: Firefox 4 freezes

Hi,

Does anyone's Firefox 4 freeze in openSUSE-11.4? Mine freezes randomly, it seems, on opening links in new tabs. I don't think it's Flash as it happens on any web site, even without flash (e.g. like this forum). I've updated to the latest version from the Mozilla repo but it still freezes. The only option is to kill it and restart it. So I use Chromium at the moment. But I prefer Firefox.

Anyone have the same problem?

PS I don't have any Firefox 4 problems in WinXP at work. And I think I haven't yet had a freeze on my Intel laptop or Atom netbook (maybe I haven't used them long enough), looks like it may be something to do with 64-bits (AMD)? But I may be wrong.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15 | KDE 5 | Intel i-7500 | Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING | Asus EX-GTX1050TI-O4G nVidia
    Laptop Asus UL30A: openSUSE Leap 15 | KDE 5 | Intel SU7300

Default Re : openSUSE-11.4: Firefox 4 freezes

Hi,

Could you run firefox in terminal and see the eventual messages when it crashes. Post the result here please.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: openSUSE-11.4: Firefox 4 freezes

So is it possible you are having a DNS issue? Long pauses in Firefox is not the same thing as a pc freezing up. If you can minimize Firefox when frozen, it may in fact be an issue with getting to the web site. I have recently had a similar issue, though Firefox is not frozen, but stalled, trying to find the web site page. A DNS server is used by us all to convert web page names into an IP address, which is actually used to communicate to a web site. When you have a DNS server problem, your web browser can appear to freeze while trying to get the correct IP address. There are a number of free DNS servers one could use. Here a few to select from:

Code:
    Google

Level 3 Communications (Broomfield, CO, US)

I am using the first two Level 3 servers and another user here indicated they were using the Google servers. Changing your DNS server could fix your problem or make no difference at all. Let me know if this is something you would like to try.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: openSUSE-11.4: Firefox 4 freezes

Oh, I'll see if it really freezes or just stalls. I wasn't patient enough to wait to see if it was going to thaw . I'll try it from the console as well. I'm using openDNS in the modem/router. But as Chromium never "freezes", why would that be a DNS problem? And I haven't had this problem in openSUSE-11.3 with the same router. So this would suggest it's the Firefox problem, whether DNS or not.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15 | KDE 5 | Intel i-7500 | Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING | Asus EX-GTX1050TI-O4G nVidia

Blog Entries

Oh, I'll see if it really freezes or just stalls. I wasn't patient enough to wait to see if it was going to thaw . I'll try it from the console as well. I'm using openDNS in the modem/router. But as Chromium never "freezes", why would that be a DNS problem? And I haven't had this problem in openSUSE-11.3 with the same router. So this would suggest it's the Firefox problem, whether DNS or not.
    So I just use Firefox, but oddly I tried openDNS and had the same problems with the openSUSE forums. Not until I tried the Level 3 servers has the problem went away. I don't have a lot of answers, only something to try that will not make your situation any worse, particularly since you found out how to insert the openDNS server addresses already.

Thank You,

Alright, I ran Firefox from Console and it does freeze. I waited 5 min, nothing happened. I'm sure it's not related to DNS, here's the error:
    Code:
    *** nss-shared-helper: Shared database disabled (set NSS_USE_SHARED_DB to enable).
    *** NSPlugin Viewer  *** WARNING: unhandled variable 18 (<unknown variable>) in NPN_GetValue()
    *** NSPlugin Viewer  *** WARNING: unhandled variable 18 (<unknown variable>) in NPN_GetValue()

Blog Entries

If I thought Firefox was defective in some way I would add the following repository:

Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.4/
    I would then start YaST / Software / Software Management, select the view button, then repository, then Mozilla and Switch to the Mozilla repository, thus replacing all Mozilla related files in one fell swoop from one single repository. All files should work together and would be the most recent versions. I would restart KDE or GNOME and then see what you get.

Thank You,

My original post:
    I've updated to the latest version from the Mozilla repo but it still freezes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by linuxoidoz View Post
    Alright, I ran Firefox from Console and it does freeze. I waited 5 min, nothing happened. I'm sure it's not related to DNS, here's the error:
    (I didn't quote the error messages).

I normally start firefox at the command line, with error messages redirected to a file. When I check that file, it is full of similar "error" messages to the one that you quote. However, firefox is not freezing for me.

In short, I am doubting that the error messages are related to your problem.

I do use the "noscript" and "flashblock" extensions. And when I do watch flash, it occasionally crashes the flash applet, though not as often as happened in opensuse 11.3/firefox 3.6 .
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Flash is a totally different story. It may crash itself but it doesn't crash Firefox. I do have some occasional Flash problems, but this one is in Firefox itself and I suspect only on AMD as I haven't yet had it to freeze on Intel or Atom.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast