Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I remove Pulse Audio to fix glitchy sound? 11.4 KDE HDAIntel

Default Can I remove Pulse Audio to fix glitchy sound? 11.4 KDE HDAIntel

I hear Pulse Audio is the culprit of all the sound issues. I would like to remove it, and default to straight ALSA or whatever distros like Fedora and Ubuntu use, which has never been problematic for me.

Default Απ: Can I remove Pulse Audio to fix glitchy sound? 11.4 KDE HDAIntel

In my opinion I do not advice you to do it.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Can I remove Pulse Audio to fix glitchy sound? 11.4 KDE HDAIntel

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowolf7 View Post
    I hear Pulse Audio is the culprit of all the sound issues. I would like to remove it, and default to straight ALSA or whatever distros like Fedora and Ubuntu use, which has never been problematic for me.
    Not sure about ubuntu but the latest Fedora uses pulseaudio by default.
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 - Core i7 7700K - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8770W - Core i7 3940XM - openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE

Quote Originally Posted by ah7013 View Post
    Not sure about ubuntu but the latest Fedora uses pulseaudio by default.
    From what I read in reviews, Ubuntu uses pulseaudio as its default sound server.

Hilarious. So once again its a glitch that is openSUSE specific. Like the KDE and plasma crashes with NVidia driver in 11.3. With bugs like this, I seriously have to wonder who is asleep on the job.

Ok, so if I can't remove it how can I fix the skipping and all that? How can we start troubleshooting it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowolf7 View Post
    Ok, so if I can't remove it how can I fix the skipping and all that? How can we start troubleshooting it?
    If you use the forum's search facility, you will find out how a few users (KDE) removed P/A to use ALSA exclusively. I don't believe you can simply remove P/A on Gnome, but then Gnome from 11.3 onwards has it as default sound server.

Start troubleshooting? Use the forum's search facility and you will find some successes and failures. If you are a KDE user, sometimes installing "pavucontrol" can help. If Gnome, I think it's installed by default.

You can disable Pulse. In YaST's "Sound" there is button in the bottom-right corner labeled "Other" and when you click it an menu opens. Select "Pulse Audio configuration ..." and uncheck "Enable Pulse Audio Support".

I am not quite sure what else may need to be done though.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    If you use the forum's search facility, you will find out how a few users (KDE) removed P/A to use ALSA exclusively.
    I had Pulse disabled until yesterday. However, Pulse is working fine now. In fact some things are better with Pulse, while others are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Emsworth View Post
    I had Pulse disabled until yesterday. However, Pulse is working fine now. In fact some things are better with Pulse, while others are not.
    Glad to get that feedback, thanks. I'm still using P/A.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Emsworth View Post
    You can disable Pulse. In YaST's "Sound" there is button in the bottom-right corner labeled "Other" and when you click it an menu opens. Select "Pulse Audio configuration ..." and uncheck "Enable Pulse Audio Support".

I am not quite sure what else may need to be done though.
    This didn't seem to change a single thing. None of the behavior changed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast