Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: opensuse 11.4 64-bit and wacom bamboo tablet

  1. #1

    Default opensuse 11.4 64-bit and wacom bamboo tablet

    Hi everybody,

    as a kind of luxory item I am thinking of adding a bamboo to my PC.
    Before putting action behind this, I wonder how much of a hazzle this brings about.

    Has anybody of you experience with 11.4 in this field?
    If a hazzle: Can anybody be bothered to compile the driver and provide it as a 1-click on the build service - or even in the official repositories?

    Would there be full functionality actually after all?

    BTW, I am aware of the wacom SF-site.

    Cheers,
    Hans

  2. #2

    Default Re: opensuse 11.4 64-bit and wacom bamboo tablet

    Hi again,

    for Ubuntu-Users there is a great, easy going installation routine. You find it in this thread:
    [SOLVED] Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch Working on Ubuntu 10.10 ! - Ubuntu Forums

    "...Same configuration here: Bamboo pen & touch new model CTH-460/K(A) = also recognize touch gestures + Ubuntu 10.10.

    This worked for me

    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:doctormo/wacom-plus
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install wacom-dkms ..."

    If I got it right, this routine builds the module depending on the kernel running.
    Something like this would be just super for openSUSE. For the time being I am now using Ubuntu.

    BTW: GIMP only shows with a tablet what's possible!

    Best,
    Hans

  3. #3

    Default Re: opensuse 11.4 64-bit and wacom bamboo tablet

    See my solution below. Try the alternate script first and if that does not work then use the original script. Dkms can be used in opensuse as well and the script was written to compile the driver based upon the currently running kernel. In theory this should work.

    SDB:Wacom Tablet Installer - openSUSE

  4. #4

    Default Re: opensuse 11.4 64-bit and wacom bamboo tablet

    Hi,
    I'm just trying to make this very same tablet (CTH-460 - Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch) under OpenSUSE 11.4. I'm using the script from previous link, which executes without any errors, but either I'm missing something stupid or there is something else that must be done, as I'm unable to make it work.

    For what I can guess, the problem lies into the kernel, not X. Initially, the table appears to be recognized. This is what I get when pluggin in the device (after executing the script, reboot, etc...):
    Code:
    # dmesg
    [ 1430.849124] usb 3-9: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 7
    [ 1431.050207] usb 3-9: New USB device found, idVendor=056a, idProduct=00d6
    [ 1431.050211] usb 3-9: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    [ 1431.050213] usb 3-9: Product: CTH-460
    [ 1431.050215] usb 3-9: Manufacturer: Wacom Co.,Ltd.
    However, this is all: no input devices are created under /dev/input/, so obviously X doesn't know anything about the table just plugged. I'm using standard OpenSUSE 11.4 desktop kernel, with no modifications. And, for what I've seen, your script doesn't rebuild the wacom kernel module, it just recompiles wacom xorg driver, so I really don't know what to do.

    Kind regards,
    Eduard Huguet

    PS: BTW, the tablet just fully works under a Kubuntu Natty LiveCD image, so I know for sure the table is not broken. Which means I could simply get rid of OpenSUSE and switch to Kubuntu, but I'd really prefer to stay with the lizzard... ;-)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,345

    Default Re: opensuse 11.4 64-bit and wacom bamboo tablet

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 14:06:02 +0000, eduardhc wrote:

    > However, this is all: no input devices are created under /dev/input/, so
    > obviously X doesn't know anything about the table just plugged. I'm
    > using standard OpenSUSE 11.4 desktop kernel, with no modifications. And,
    > for what I've seen, your script doesn't rebuild the wacom kernel module,
    > it just recompiles wacom xorg driver, so I really don't know what to do.


    There isn't hotplug support for Wacom tablets - it needs to be plugged in
    when X starts.

    I've got an Intuos4 tablet here and it "just worked" with 11.4 - it
    doesn't look like I even had to install special packages for it.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  6. #6

    Default Re: opensuse 11.4 64-bit and wacom bamboo tablet

    It doesn't seem a problem with hotplug. Previously I had an old Wacom Graphite tablet, and hotplugging has always worked fine (X simply recognized the new input devices created).

    The real problem is that no input devices are created for the new tablet. Previously, for my old Graphire a number of new nodes under /dev/input appeared when pluggin in the tablet, now this isn't happening with Bamboo Pen & Touch. So, problem doesn't lie into X but into kernel (AFAIK X relies on input devices created by kernel - if there are no kernel input devices, then X simply is not aware of the new device...).

    This is after executing the suggested script, which executes without errors. And which results in a new wacom xorg module compiled and installed under /usr/lib64/xorg/etc...

    And, BTW, it doesn't work neither if I leave the tablet plugged in when booting, so definitely it's not a hotplug issue.

    Kind regards,
    Eduard Huguet

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,345

    Default Re: opensuse 11.4 64-bit and wacom bamboo tablet

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 20:36:03 +0000, eduardhc wrote:

    > It doesn't seem a problem with hotplug. Previously I had an old Wacom
    > Graphite tablet, and hotplugging has always worked fine (X simply
    > recognized the new input devices created).
    >
    > The real problem is that no input devices are created for the new
    > tablet. Previously, for my old Graphire a number of new nodes under
    > /dev/input appeared when pluggin in the tablet, now this isn't happening
    > with Bamboo Pen & Touch. So, problem doesn't lie into X but into kernel
    > (AFAIK X relies on input devices created by kernel - if there are no
    > kernel input devices, then X simply is not aware of the new device...).
    >
    > This is after executing the suggested script, which executes without
    > errors. And which results in a new wacom xorg module compiled and
    > installed under /usr/lib64/xorg/etc...
    >
    > And, BTW, it doesn't work neither if I leave the tablet plugged in when
    > booting, so definitely it's not a hotplug issue.


    It was my understanding (from participating in the project mailing list
    for the wacom drivers) that hotplug was simply unsupported...

    Nevertheless, do you have the wacom kernel module loaded?

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  8. #8

    Default Re: opensuse 11.4 64-bit and wacom bamboo tablet

    Hi,
    Yes, tried to load wacom module both before and after plugging in the tablet. It made no difference... :-( Tried also with hid_wacom.ko module, with the same (disappointing) results.

    Regards
    Eduard

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,345

    Default Re: opensuse 11.4 64-bit and wacom bamboo tablet

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 21:36:03 +0000, eduardhc wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Yes, tried to load wacom module both before and after plugging in the
    > tablet. It made no difference... :-( Tried also with hid_wacom.ko
    > module, with the same (disappointing) results.


    Did it actually load? (ie, did you see it listed when running lsmod)

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  10. #10

    Default Re: opensuse 11.4 64-bit and wacom bamboo tablet

    Hi,
    Yes, the driver loads if I modprobe it (I can check it with "lsmod | grep wacom"). However, it doesn't load automatically when I plug in the Bamboo Pen & Touch, but it does if I plug the Graphire (I double checked it: first I made sure the module wan't loaded, I plugged in the Graphire and the module loaded automatically). So, maybe the problem is that the Bamboo Pen & Touch is not bound in any way with the wacom module, so it just ignores it.

    How are USB product & device ID tighted to driver modules in Linux? Maybe the problem is just that CTH-460 identifiers (VID: 0x056A, PID: 0x00D6) are just unknown to driver version used by OpenSUSE 11.4. Is this easy to fix or does it need a kernel and/or module recompiling?

    Kind regards,
    Eduard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •