High CPU Usage while playing Youtube/Flash Stream

I have Opensuse 11.4 Gnome 32 bit in my PC. It’s a Core2duo with Intel integrated G33 Graphics and 3 GB RAM.

When I play Youtube video in Firefox or any other Flash streaming video my CPU usage is almost 65% in both CPUs.

If I play the same videos or sites in Windows 7 it’s hardly 15% !!!

I checked using TOP command and it seems X-ORG is using 85% of CPU !!!

Why so much CPU utilization in Linux?

As I thing maybe responsible for that is your drivers of your graphics card.
I want also to see your repositories. So open your terminal and write

su
# zypper lr -d

Post the output here.

Here you go:

linux-q43h:/home/spandey # zypper lr -d

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

—±-------------------------±----------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±-------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | Packman2 | Packman2 | Yes | Yes | 92 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/openSUSE_11.4/Extra |
2 | Packman3 | Packman3 | Yes | Yes | 93 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/openSUSE_11.4/Games |
3 | Packman4 | Packman4 | Yes | Yes | 94 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/openSUSE_11.4/Multimedia |
4 | Wine | Wine | Yes | Yes | 105 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.4 |
5 | ftp.uni-erlangen.de-suse | Packman1 | Yes | Yes | 91 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/openSUSE_11.4/Essentials |
6 | google-earth | google-earth | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/rpm/stable/i386 |
7 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.4-Debug | Yes | Yes | 98 | yast2 | Index of /debug/distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
8 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 97 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/non-oss |
9 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Oss | Yes | Yes | 96 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
10 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.4-Source | Yes | Yes | 100 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
11 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.4-Update | Yes | Yes | 95 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.4 |

Try to remove these repos

1 | Packman2 | Packman2 | Yes | Yes | 92 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/openSUSE_11.4/Extra |
2 | Packman3 | Packman3 | Yes | Yes | 93 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/openSUSE_11.4/Games |
3 | Packman4 | Packman4 | Yes | Yes | 94 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/openSUSE_11.4/Multimedia | 
5 | ftp.uni-erlangen.de-suse | Packman1 | Yes | Yes | 91 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/openSUSE_11.4/Essentials | 

And try to install one pacman repo

su
# zypper addrepo -f http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/packman/suse/openSUSE_11.4/ PackMan
# zypper refresh

After the changes this is what I got:
linux-q43h:/home/spandey # zypper refresh
GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection.c:2279:initable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL)
Repository ‘PackMan’ is up to date.
GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection.c:2279:initable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL)
Repository ‘Wine’ is up to date.
Repository ‘google-earth’ is up to date.
Repository ‘openSUSE-11.4-Debug’ is up to date.
Repository ‘openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss’ is up to date.
Repository ‘openSUSE-11.4-Oss’ is up to date.
Repository ‘openSUSE-11.4-Source’ is up to date.
Repository ‘openSUSE-11.4-Update’ is up to date.
All repositories have been refreshed.

Read this 11.4: zypper GLib-GIO:ERROR

OK that’s a ZYPPER error. But I checked in YAST everything is refreshed. Is my CPU usage is because of Zypper error?

Maybe your problem in CPU based on zypper error, because your system tries to auto refreshed and it can not. With ALT+F2 see which program uses more pc’s resourses.

As mentioned on my first post it is X-ORG which is using 85% of CPU !!!

Nah, no repo errors or Packman phenomena. You replaced the individual subrepos by the main one, no difference in the content. The way you configured them first is exactly the way it should be. The problem is in X and probably the driver used. Please read http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_graphics_cards and see if you can find options there. Otherwise, check the Graphic Cards thread our member oldcpu wrote in the HOWTO/FAQ

Thanks, I will try to digest all the information and come back.

Hi,

I have got the same issue for years. I use nVidia proprietary drivers installed from yast nvidea repo for Open SuSE 11.4 x64. I have noticed that playing flash and also some embedded videos in firefox or chrome produce huge cpu usage and the main part is for Xorg (normally 20% but sometimes up to 60%) and Kwin( usually 24-28%) (or compiz - 20-26%) and 14 to 20 % for the npviewer.bin.