openSUSE 11.4 and keyboard configuration?

Hi,
I just upgraded from 10.x to 11.4 (fresh install, reformatting the system partitions).

Nearly everything works fine - except the keyboard. :
I am using here a Cherry Cymotion Master Linux Keyboard (has some multimedia key and a tux symbol instead of the window lol! ) - german layout. Last time I used a special driver (kernel patch) from the keyboard manufacture that was shipped with the keyboard in order to use the multimedia keys. However there is no version of that for openSUSE 11.x and as at least some multimedia keys are working out of the box I guess that it is not necessary to install any patches.

I just configured it in YaST2 as german keyboard with deadkeys (i need deadkeys for writing accents) but it seems that this config is not stored correctly. After each restart the keyboard falls back to spanish layout until I open YaST -> Hardware -> Keyboard and press <Ok> without any changes, then it works fine.
OpenSUSE itself is installed in spanish, might this be the reason why it loads always the spanish keyboard layout?

Are you using KDE?

If so, have you set anything up in System Settings, --Input Devices (under Hardware), – Layout tab. If you click on “Configure layouts” you should be able to set up for multiple languages.

If you are using Gnome there will be something similar.

As this seems to be a boot setting, have a look in your xorg.conf file (if you have one) else have a look in the files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to see if your configuration is being changed there.

You can configure your keyboard layout pretty much any way you like using xmodmap. Google for detailed instructions.
I use it to have a qwerty keyboard with various German umlauts and French characters assigned to little used keys.