Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Problems with Chrome.

  1. #1

    Default Problems with Chrome.

    I just decided to swap from Ubuntu to openSUSE.

    I use Google Chrome as a browser. I tried to install it like I would on windows or ubuntu by using the appropriate installer from google.

    When I installed the openSUSE chrome client everything went ok until I tried to open the program. I basically get the chrome icon on my cursor like it is loading then that goes away and nothing happens.

    I then did some research on some openSUSE commands and did a zypper search chrome and saw the install files there.

    I then did a zypper in google-chome- ( at this point I tried the -stable, -unstable, and - beta) I had the same exact result.

    I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows a way that I can resolve it.

    BTW I am running openSUSE 11.4 KDE 64bit.

    I like openSUSE so far and I want to stick with it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,719
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Problems with Chrome.

    Do you now have the google repo in your list?

    zypper lr -d

    *I used to use chrome. But switched to chromium.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    sri mayapur, west bengal, india
    Posts
    958

    Default Re: Problems with Chrome.

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 19:06:04 +0530, Aydos13
    <Aydos13@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >
    > I just decided to swap from Ubuntu to openSUSE.
    >
    > I use Google Chrome as a browser. I tried to install it like I would on
    > windows or ubuntu by using the appropriate installer from google.
    >
    > When I installed the openSUSE chrome client everything went ok until I
    > tried to open the program. I basically get the chrome icon on my cursor
    > like it is loading then that goes away and nothing happens.
    >
    > I then did some research on some openSUSE commands and did a zypper
    > search chrome and saw the install files there.
    >
    > I then did a zypper in google-chome- ( at this point I tried the
    > -stable, -unstable, and - beta) I had the same exact result.
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows a way that
    > I can resolve it.
    >
    > BTW I am running openSUSE 11.4 KDE 64bit.
    >
    > I like openSUSE so far and I want to stick with it.
    >


    i would uninstall the version of chrome you have now and use chromium from
    the contrib-standard repo instead:

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.4/

    this should take care of all dependencies, which otherwise you would have
    to install separately.


    --
    phani.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    sri mayapur, west bengal, india
    Posts
    958

    Default Re: Problems with Chrome.

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 19:21:07 +0530, phanisvara <listmail@phanisvara.com>
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 19:06:04 +0530, Aydos13
    > <Aydos13@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> I just decided to swap from Ubuntu to openSUSE.
    >>
    >> I use Google Chrome as a browser. I tried to install it like I would on
    >> windows or ubuntu by using the appropriate installer from google.
    >>
    >> When I installed the openSUSE chrome client everything went ok until I
    >> tried to open the program. I basically get the chrome icon on my cursor
    >> like it is loading then that goes away and nothing happens.
    >>
    >> I then did some research on some openSUSE commands and did a zypper
    >> search chrome and saw the install files there.
    >>
    >> I then did a zypper in google-chome- ( at this point I tried the
    >> -stable, -unstable, and - beta) I had the same exact result.
    >>
    >> I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows a way that
    >> I can resolve it.
    >>
    >> BTW I am running openSUSE 11.4 KDE 64bit.
    >>
    >> I like openSUSE so far and I want to stick with it.
    >>

    >
    > i would uninstall the version of chrome you have now and use chromium
    > from the contrib-standard repo instead:
    >
    > http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.4/
    >
    > this should take care of all dependencies, which otherwise you would
    > have to install separately.
    >
    >


    oops, that should probably be:

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...trib/standard/

    --
    phani.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Problems with Chrome.

    Does anyone have anything I could try. I would much rather run the Official Google version of Chome over chromium. I have always liked it more and syncing it between all of my systems, including my 2 windows machines at work.

    I know it has to be able to run in openSUSE. There is a openSUSE version up and it runs flawlessly in Ubuntu. Package managers and GUIs aside they are both Linux.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,719
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Problems with Chrome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aydos13 View Post
    Does anyone have anything I could try. I would much rather run the Official Google version of Chome over chromium. I have always liked it more and syncing it between all of my systems, including my 2 windows machines at work.

    I know it has to be able to run in openSUSE. There is a openSUSE version up and it runs flawlessly in Ubuntu. Package managers and GUIs aside they are both Linux.
    You didn't answer my question in post #2
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  7. #7

    Default Re: Problems with Chrome.

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    You didn't answer my question in post #2
    I apologize. I meant to say that I am at work at the moment and I will check that later and post back. Actually I have a laptop here I can install openSUSE 11.4 on and see if I get the same problem here.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Problems with Chrome.

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    You didn't answer my question in post #2
    Ok yes. It does show up at the very top of the list. It says.

    1| google-chrome | google-chrome | Yes | Yes | 99
    | rpm-md |http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/i386

    This is on one of my work laptops so it is 32bit unlike the 64bit I have at home, but I am having the same problem.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,719
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Problems with Chrome.

    Try starting it from a terminal
    Report any out put
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  10. #10

    Default Re: Problems with Chrome.

    Woot I solved it. I fouund a previous post you made where the guy tried to run chrome in a terminal (which I never tried) and got an error. I tried it and was missing the same library. I installed it the way you told him and voila it works.

    Thank you.

    Is there a way to mark this as solved?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •