open Suse 11.3 no sound

Hi,

When i run lspci, i can see audio card intel 82801I (ICH9).
I use a anvantech board(i think audio chip is on board), and a audio module( has alc888 and 7 jack).

From YAST/Sound, system recognizes an Optiplex 755. But there is no sound. Could you please help me to solve the issue? Thanks…

Hello go first to yast–>Hardware–>sound. Then select in other–> test sound. If you have sound select this sound card as main. Then go to system settings and check sound again. See first in system settings if you have Gstreamer as Support System.

In YAST/Sound there is only one sound card (Optiplex 755). Other->play test sound, there is no sound again. what do u mean by “Then go to system settings and check sound again. See first in system settings if you have Gstreamer as Support System”

I would like to try help, but I’m not smart enough to use the information you provided and come up with a recommendation. Unfortuantely I need a LOT more information to understand as to what should be a good approach.

Please, can you provide the information that is recommended to be provided (when sound does not work) as described in our multimedia stickie : Welcome to multimedia sub-area ?

I’ll quote this for you to make it easier for you:

… please post … providing in your post the following information:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh 

and select the SHARE/UPLOAD option and after the script finishes it will give you a URL to pass to the support personnel. Please post here the output URL/website-address that gives. Just the URL/website-address. You may need to run that script twice (the first time with root permissions to update in the /usr/sbin directory, and the second time to get the URL).
Note if for some reason that gives you no website/url/address then run it with the no-upload option:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload

and post the file /etc/alsa-info.txt it creates to Pastebin.comand press SUBMIT on that site and again post here the URL/website-address it provides.

… some clarification on running the script “alsa-info.sh” … when you run:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh 

you should get something like this (if it asks for an update, select NO):
http://thumbnails33.imagebam.com/9280/a5973e92794041.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (select the SHARE/UPLOAD option):
http://thumbnails30.imagebam.com/9280/5e84f992794044.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (its quickest if you simply select ‘NO’ to seeing the output - you will see it on the web page) :
http://thumbnails32.imagebam.com/9280/214da092794048.jpg](ImageBam)

followed by this (where in RED is the URL).
http://thumbnails23.imagebam.com/9280/d9858092794051.jpg](ImageBam)

Just post the URL you get (similar to the RED URL in my example, but yours will be different).

Again, if you can not get that, then run this with the no upload option:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload

which will create the file /tmp/alsa-info.txt. Copy that file and paste it on Pastebin.com and press submit. That will give you a URL address. Please post that URL here.

Also provide the following:

• in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘alsa#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘pulse#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -q libasound2 #and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: uname -a #and post output here
  • for openSUSE-11.2 or newer, in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf #and post output here

Also ı want to add the output txt file of “alsa-info.sh”

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a9b1fc2b693c8635d72e1f7cae4a285589ccfd7e

in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘alsa#and post output here

**alsa-utils-1.0.23-1.8.i586
alsa-1.0.23-2.12.i586
alsa-oss-1.0.17-29.2.i586
alsa-plugins-1.0.23-1.9.i586
alsa-plugins-jack-1.0.23-1.9.i586
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.23-1.9.i586

in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘pulse#and post output here
libpulse0-0.9.21-9.2.i586
pulseaudio-module-lirc-0.9.21-9.2.i586
pulseaudio-module-x11-0.9.21-9.2.i586
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.21-9.2.i586
pulseaudio-utils-0.9.21-9.2.i586
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-0.9.21-9.2.i586
vlc-aout-pulse-1.1.5-4.5.i586
libpulse-browse0-0.9.21-9.2.i586
pulseaudio-0.9.21-9.2.i586
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-0.9.21-9.2.i586
pulseaudio-esound-compat-0.9.21-9.2.i586
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.23-1.9.i586
pulseaudio-module-gconf-0.9.21-9.2.i586**

in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -q libasound2 #and post output here

libasound2-1.0.23-2.12.i586

in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: uname -a #and post output here

Linux linux-rg6t 2.6.34-12-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-06-29 02:39:08 +0200 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

for openSUSE-11.2 or newer, in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf #and post output here

**options snd slots=snd-hda-intel

u1Nb.NLpnEGU_GL4:Optiplex 755

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel****

Thanks. Based on the number of pulse applications on your openSUSE-11.3 it appears you have the Gnome desktop installed. I find in openSUSE-11.4 (which has many pulse applications installed) it is useful to install the package ‘pavucontrol’ and run ‘pavucontrol’ and try to use that to configure one’s sound. That ‘might help’. But it might not.

From the alsa-info.sh diagnostic script, I note a 32-bit openSUSE-11.3 with the 2.6.34-12-desktop kernel and the 1.0.22.1 alsa (Driver version), and 1.0.23 alsa (Library version) and the 1.0.23 alsa (Utilities version) on a ALC888 hardware audio codec.

Your mixer settings sound should be working. Please, what are you using as a “sound test” ?

If your sound test is correct, it is possible that the ALC888 hardware audio codec is misconfigured by the alsa driver upon boot. I note some strange messages in the dmesg at the bottom of the alsa-info.sh script output that you provided. Hence you could try to tune the alsa driver configuration for your ALC888.

I’m not at my desktop PC, and I don’t have the HD-Audio-Models.txt file handy for version 1.0.22 of alsa (which is on your PC, likely located at /usr/src/linux-your-kernel-version/Documentation/sound/alsa. But I do have 1.0.24 of alsa handy and the entry for the ALC888 presumeably has not changed too much between versions. On 1.0.24 of alsa that is:

ALC882/883/885/888/889
======================
  3stack-dig             3-jack with SPDIF I/O
  6stack-dig             6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O
  arima                   Arima W820Di1
  targa                   Targa T8, MSI-1049 T8
  asus-a7j               ASUS A7J
  asus-a7m             ASUS A7M
  macpro                 MacPro support
  mb5                     Macbook 5,1
  macmini3              Macmini 3,1
  mba21                  Macbook Air 2,1
  mbp3                    Macbook Pro rev3
  imac24                  iMac 24'' with jack detection
  imac91                  iMac 9,1
  w2jc                      ASUS W2JC
  3stack-2ch-dig        3-jack with SPDIF I/O (ALC883)
  alc883-6stack-dig    6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O (ALC883)
  3stack-6ch             3-jack 6-channel
  3stack-6ch-dig        3-jack 6-channel with SPDIF I/O
  6stack-dig-demo     6-jack digital for Intel demo board
  acer                       Acer laptops (Travelmate 3012WTMi, Aspire 5600, etc)
  acer-aspire             Acer Aspire 9810
  acer-aspire-4930g    Acer Aspire 4930G
  acer-aspire-6530g    Acer Aspire 6530G
  acer-aspire-7730g    Acer Aspire 7730G
  acer-aspire-8930g    Acer Aspire 8930G
  medion                   Medion Laptops
  medion-md2            Medion MD2
  targa-dig                Targa/MSI
  targa-2ch-dig           Targa/MSI with 2-channel
  targa-8ch-dig           Targa/MSI with 8-channel (MSI GX620)
  laptop-eapd             3-jack with SPDIF I/O and EAPD (Clevo M540JE, M550JE)
  lenovo-101e             Lenovo 101E
  lenovo-nb0763          Lenovo NB0763
  lenovo-ms7195-dig    Lenovo MS7195
  lenovo-sky                Lenovo Sky
  haier-w66                  Haier W66
  3stack-hp                  HP machines with 3stack (Lucknow, Samba boards)
  6stack-dell                Dell machines with 6stack (Inspiron 530)
  mitac                        Mitac 8252D
  clevo-m540r               Clevo M540R (6ch + digital)
  clevo-m720                Clevo M720 laptop series
  fujitsu-pi2515             Fujitsu AMILO Pi2515
  fujitsu-xa3530             Fujitsu AMILO XA3530
  3stack-6ch-intel           Intel DG33* boards
  intel-alc889a               Intel IbexPeak with ALC889A
  intel-x58                     Intel DX58 with ALC889
  asus-p5q                     ASUS P5Q-EM boards
  mb31                          MacBook 3,1
  sony-vaio-tt                 Sony VAIO TT
  auto                            auto-config reading BIOS (default)

Hence what you could do is try specifying each of those model options ONE AT A TIME, restarting alsa after each attempt, and see if that restores your sound.

Lets say you start from the top of the above list, and try 3stack-dig. To do that, you change the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound conf file so that it looks like:

**options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig**
options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
# u1Nb.NLpnEGU_GL4:Optiplex 755
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

(note the line I added to the start of the file). Save the change.

Then restart alsa with:

su -c 'rcalsasound restart' 

and enter root password when prompted for a password. And restart your mixer (alsamixer in gnome, by typing as a regular user in a terminal, ‘alsamixer’ #no quotes). and test.

If 3stack-dig does not work, then replace it in the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file with the next entry in the list (6stack-dig) and again restart alsa, restart mixer, and test.

Some of those will prevent one’s sound from functioning. But hopefully one will get sound working.

I’m testing the sound from YAST/Sound Other–>play test sound.
Also I play wav files with the players.

I will change the conf file and try the ALC888 model options.

Reference testing for sound, what I typically recommend is to try each of the following in a terminal, first as a regular user and then with root permissions (and also with and without headphones):

• first:
 speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav
  • second, try again:
speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav
  • third:
speaker-test -c2 -D hw:0,0 -t wav -l3
  • fourth, this next command has a volume meter at the bottom of its output with a changing number of #'s and %'s to show volume levels so run this command and tell me if the number of #'s and %'s are changing:
aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_*
  • fifth: and also:
aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav

Despite those tests, my view is your assessment is correct that sound is not functioning.

I think thats the best approach for now. IF that does not work, I can help you update alsa by pointing you to a guide that explains an easy way to update alsa on openSUSE.

I tried different models but that does not work. I use openSUSE 11.3. Now i think i need to upgrade alsa. Could u please help…

There is guidance here for updating alsa: SDB:Alsa-update - openSUSE

Ensure you update alsa-utils, alsa, alsa-oss, alsa-plugins, alsa-plugins-jack, and alsa-plugins-pulse and libasound2. DOUBLECHECK the versions after you “think” you updated the versions to ensure you ACTUALLY updated the versions. If the versions did not update, then you do NOT understand how to use YaST to update software and you will need to try again.

Also install the package alsa-driver-kmp-desktop that is specific to your kernel version. If asked to change the kernel version when you do this, then you made a mistake, you need to NOT install, and double check. The guide version numbers are examples, … you need to apply the ACTUAL version numbers per your kernel version.

I’ve lost count of the number of users who can not follow the guides’ instructions, and I am not smart enough to make the guide any simpler (sorry - I’ve lost touch with my inner newb). So you will NEED to be careful.