Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: openSUSE 11.4 X11 problem after yesterday's update

Default openSUSE 11.4 X11 problem after yesterday's update

Hi guys! I've updated my opensuse 11.4 yesterday, but didn't reboot and today when I came to work I discovered that it couldn't start Xorg and stays in boot-up terminal. When I try to startx it says that it could not move /var/log/Xorg.0.log to /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old and shortly after that it suggests to me that I edit /etc/permissions.local to give Xorg some permissions and so I did.. but with no luck. After that I've downgraded Xorg and Xorg-server to the version from my installation and then I was able to startx and write this topic However, I have no idea why it does not start by its self and where the heck is kdm Any ideas?

Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 X11 problem after yesterday's update

Actually, I noticed that my apache2 and mysql are not running by default also. This makes think that a whole runlevel has been skipped for some reason... If this can be a hint.. this may be the reason why xdm did not start... but why

You could at least explain what sort of "update" you did. Just a security update as offered by the Update repo?
    Henk van Velden

I saw KPackageKit wanted to update something yesterday and I let it... Runlevel 5 does not do what it should according to configuration... neither alsasound, apache2, mysql, xdm or anything else starts... I haven't done any custom configuration changes, Its all out of the box and up to date... Any ideas why does this happen and how could I prevent/fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by SoundreameR View Post
    Hi guys! I've updated my opensuse 11.4 yesterday, but didn't reboot and today when I came to work I discovered that it couldn't start Xorg and stays in boot-up terminal. When I try to startx it says that it could not move /var/log/Xorg.0.log to /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old and shortly after that it suggests to me that I edit /etc/permissions.local to give Xorg some permissions and so I did.. but with no luck.
    Code:
    su -l
    chmod 4711 /usr/bin/Xorg

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Code:
    su -l
    chmod 4711 /usr/bin/Xorg
    The reason Xorg didn't have permissions to allow startx manually was because of the commented line in /etc/permissions.local. This is perfectly normal I guess, because its ment to use a Desktop Manager (xdm). I uncommented this line to be able to startx manually, but the remaining issue is that NON of the scripts set to runlevel 5 actually executes... I can work it around to execute them from rc.local, but it's a nasty hack that I don't want to do in my brand new clean and fresh installation of openSUSE 11.4... I just want to figure out why runlevel 5 does not execute...

Blog Entries

There was an xorg-X11 and xorg-X11-someother package update that I noted last night (for openSUSE-11.4).

My experience over the years, is those updates have about a 25% chance of breaking one's proprietary graphic driver build. Hence ensure you check that it was not your driver interface to X that was broken by such an update.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    There was an xorg-X11 and xorg-X11-someother package update that I noted last night (for openSUSE-11.4).

My experience over the years, is those updates have about a 25% chance of breaking one's proprietary graphic driver build. Hence ensure you check that it was not your driver interface to X that was broken by such an update.
    I use my pc perfectly normal, after boot I log-in, run whatever I feel useful in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d and at the end I run /etc/rc.d/xdm start... my desktop effects work, no resolution problems or etc. Everything seems fine, except the automatic execution of runlevel 5... My boot sequence finishes with "Master Resource Control: runlevel 5 has been: reached" and then... instead of more services starting I get prompted for login...

Blog Entries

I experienced no problems at all after the update
    nvidia from the repos, wasn't re-installed.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 18:36:03 +0530, oldcpu
    <oldcpu@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
    > There was an xorg-X11 and xorg-X11-someother package update that I noted
    > last night (for openSUSE-11.4).
    >
    > My experience over the years, is those updates have about a 25% chance
    > of breaking one's proprietary graphic driver build. Hence ensure you
    > check that it was not your driver interface to X that was broken by such