Thread: from where does Opensuse get the standard computer names at install?

Default from where does Opensuse get the standard computer names at install?

Hello!

while doing some terminal stuff, a kind of stupid question came to my mind:

Both computers I own have the standard install of opensuse installed and their names are different.

the desktops name is linux-rq64 and the lap is linux-1bww

I know from my Ubuntu time that you always could choose the name and standard was some kind of "username-laptop" for example. I know that I could change the name of my computers also in opensuse, but I would like to know: how does it create these names? Why are the names in this style and what do these "rq64" and so on mean? If they actually mean anything?

So if I would go with standard in Ubuntu, I always would have the same computer name. But Opensuse always creates different names. How and why?

thanks and regards
    Steffen
    Desk: HP Pavilion, Nvidia GeForce GTX460, Atheros Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2, Win7
    Lap: Sony Vaio VPCEB3J1E, Intel GMA 3500, Intel Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2
    Netty: HP Mini 3530, Xubuntu 11.10

Blog Entries

Default Re: from where does Opensuse get the standard computer names at install?

It's random

You can change it in

Yast > Network Devices > Network Settings
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: from where does Opensuse get the standard computer names at install?

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    It's random

You can change it in

Yast > Network Devices > Network Settings
    I know how to change the names on the computers. Thanks for the tip anyway

so there is no rule inside the system which says or which gives kind of a "guideline" how this name should be?
    So (I never tried that) if I would install the system with the same DVD on the same computer, it would have a totally different name?
    I thougth it may have something to do with the computer hardware or so...
    Desk: HP Pavilion, Nvidia GeForce GTX460, Atheros Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2, Win7
    Lap: Sony Vaio VPCEB3J1E, Intel GMA 3500, Intel Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2
    Netty: HP Mini 3530, Xubuntu 11.10

Blog Entries

I install over and over on the same computer and it's always different.
    Like I say: Random
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steffen13 View Post
    ..., but I would like to know: how does it create these names?
    Those have always looked like random names to me. I haven't examined the algorithm - it is purely my guess that they are random. But they surely look random. So I guess I am agreeing with caf4926 about that.

The first thing I do, after booting into the system I have just installed, is change its name to what I want it to be.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;