Thread: VLC, MPlayer Slow on Playback of HD files.

Default VLC, MPlayer Slow on Playback of HD files.

So, I'm wondering why this is happening.

I can't seem to watch 576p or 720p files without either VLC tearing and blocking or MPlayer freezing for a few frames, or stuttering. I can't figure out why.

I have a Intel Q6600 and a GTX480 with the latest drivers on OpenSUSE 11.4. Qt 4.7.1

On VLC 1.1.8/1.2.0 I've tried X11 video out, XVideo video out and GLX video out. I've also tried enabling hardware decoding under Advanced > Inputs/Codecs > FFmpeg to no avail.

On MPlayer 0.6.9, I set my cores to 4, and and tried XVideo output and VDPAU output.

I honestly can't figure out how I'm still not getting good performance.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Last edited by LostChild1; 06-Apr-2011 at 13:52. Reason: Added version information.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: VLC, MPlayer Slow on Playback of HD files.

What video driver are you using with your nVIDIA video card? I would suggest you load the most recent version 260.19.44 and I normally load this driver the hard way. Second, how is your multimedia setup? I have a script file called mmcheck that help check this out. You can find it here:

MultiMedia Checker or mmcheck - Check Your openSUSE MultiMedia Setup in Just 16 Steps

I have found that using the proprietary video driver and making sure all media files are loaded allows most anything to play properly. The Intel Quad Core Q6600 is a solid performed and equal to two dual core E6600 CPU's as I remember. Your CPU and Video card should more than up to the task of playing any video files.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

Default Re: VLC, MPlayer Slow on Playback of HD files.

Quote Originally Posted by LostChild1 View Post
    I can't seem to watch 576p or 720p files
    Can you point us to an example on the web of these files ?

Default Re: VLC, MPlayer Slow on Playback of HD files.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    What video driver are you using with your nVIDIA video card? I would suggest you load the most recent version 260.19.44 and I normally load this driver the hard way. Second, how is your multimedia setup? I have a script file called mmcheck that help check this out. You can find it here:

MultiMedia Checker or mmcheck - Check Your openSUSE MultiMedia Setup in Just 16 Steps

I have found that using the proprietary video driver and making sure all media files are loaded allows most anything to play properly. The Intel Quad Core Q6600 is a solid performed and equal to two dual core E6600 CPU's as I remember. Your CPU and Video card should more than up to the task of playing any video files.

Thank You,
    I'm using the proprietary driver, version 270.30 which is a beta. I'll try a rollback to 260.19.44 see if the situation improves. I also load them the hard way.

I also just tried your mmcheck the other day and everything seems to have checked out. I'll try again to double check.

And oldcpu, a few are Blurays of mine that I've ripped to my PC, and a few are from HD camcorders.