cannot access installation media

how to solve the error ’ cannot access installation media’?

Hi,

You don’t give a lot of information for us to help you. You have to be more explicit if you want to get help.

Version of openSUSE ? Wich desktop ? When this error happen ? What were you doing ?

manuzhang wrote:
> how to solve the error ’ cannot access installation media’?

Is that like “what is the sound of one hand clapping?”

Some context would be useful

sorry, I supposed many people might encounter the same problem.
So here it is.
I’m using openSuSE 11.4 and when I open YaST to install softwares that problem will occur. Oh, it also said ‘cannot find /content…hd=…/sda1’. I think it’s because openSuSE 11.4 is not installed on sda1. When I try zypper in, the same problem and prompt.

You probably have your installation DVD still in your repository list.

Post the ouutput of

zypper lr -d

You can also look there yourself and see if the dvd item is still enabled. Then disable it (can be done with YaST > Softwar > Repositorry management.

And please never assume that lot of people have the same problem as you have. Especialy as you can not find any other thread about your problem (I hope you first tried to find a solution before you asked).

On 04/06/2011 02:36 PM, DaaX wrote:
>
> You don’t give a lot of information for us to help you. You have to be
> more explicit if you want to get help.
>
> Version of openSUSE ? Wich desktop ? When this error happen ? What were
> you doing ?

and, were you using YaST or zypper and trying to add an application or
update some software? did you have the install disk in the machine when
you got the message?

and please show us the output of entering the following into a terminal

zypper lr -d

and copy/paste the output back to this thread using the instructions
here: http://goo.gl/i3wn

CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [NNTP via openSUSE 11.3 + KDE4.5.5 +
Thunderbird3.1.8] Can you believe it? This guy Ralph wins $181 million
in the lottery last Wednesday, and then finds the love of his life just
2 days later. Talk about LUCK!

yes, it’s enabled. disable… do you mean delete openSUSE-release-dvd ?

When in YaST > Software > Repository management, you can select the item by clicking on it and then you can remove the X in the Enabled box at the bottom by clicking on it. Do not remove/delete, but disable!

sorry, I still do not get it. Disable what? Would you please be more specific?

Did you allready get to YaST > Software > Repository management? Then describe what you see.

sorry, I’m using a Chinese version so there is some misunderstanding here.
Now I’ve disabled it. But still the same error

Then we return to the old request. Please post the output of

LANG=C zypper lr -d

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

–±---------------------------------±---------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±----------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | Updates-for-openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0 | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.4 |
2 | nVidia Graphics Drivers | nVidia Graphics Drivers | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.4/ |
3 | openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | hd:///openSUSE-11.4-DVD-i586?device=/dev/sda1 |
4 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.4-Debug | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /debug/distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
5 | repo-debug-update | openSUSE-11.4-Update-Debug | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /debug/update/11.4 |
6 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/non-oss |
7 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.4/repo/oss |
8 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.4-Source | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.4/repo/oss |

sorry again, I get it and nail it!
Thank you so much

You are welcome.

On 04/06/2011 05:36 PM, manuzhang wrote:
>
> I get it and nail it!

GOOD for you!! i wish i could do it in your lingo!
come back when you need…

and, work on getting that Chinese forum up and going–i’d LOVE to have a
new 500 Million using openSUSE!!!

CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [NNTP via openSUSE 11.3 + KDE4.5.5 +
Thunderbird3.1.8] Can you believe it? This guy Ralph wins $181 million
in the lottery last Wednesday, and then finds the love of his life just
2 days later. Talk about LUCK!

I want to support the asker: There are at least TWO people with his problem, because I am one of them. And I did try to diasable the dvd as prescribed above. It did not help. I have on several occasions and on several machines tried to install SUSE and the problem is ALWAYS this: UPDATING IS NOT POSSIBLE because ‘cannot acces installation media … try again in …’ Waiting does not help. I also tried to change to another mirror (and may well do that again, but I tried that before and no luck).
I do not know with whom I am communicating here but a little less arrogance (and fewer spelling errors!) would be wise on behalf of SUSE: This is indeed a problem that more than one person faces, and it does not have to do with one old and weird machine or person. The ability to update the system is important, I would never buy a system that could not do that.
During my search for a solution I found somebody (so there are at least THREE of us, but make that a lot more) who suggested disabling iv6 on the internet. I tried that too but once again no success.
So: ADMIT FAILURE OR COME UP WITH SOMETHING BETTER!
I am
Peter Høgstedt

You do realize that this thread is from 2011?
And AFAICS the asker was able to solve his problem back then.

I do not know with whom I am communicating here but a little less arrogance (and fewer spelling errors!) would be wise on behalf of SUSE:

You are communicating with fellow users here mostly, who try to voluntarily help others in their spare time.
So maybe a little less arrogance (and more friendliness) would be wise on behalf of you as well.

Btw, _open_SUSE is a community distribution, created (mostly) by volunteers in their spare time. SUSE does take part in the development as well though.

This is indeed a problem that more than one person faces, and it does not have to do with one old and weird machine or person. The ability to update the system is important, I would never buy a system that could not do that.
During my search for a solution I found somebody (so there are at least THREE of us, but make that a lot more) who suggested disabling iv6 on the internet. I tried that too but once again no success.

Maybe you should start by posting the exact error message you get, what you did to get that error message, and your repo list:

zypper lr -d

So: ADMIT FAILURE OR COME UP WITH SOMETHING BETTER!

???
Who should admit failure?
And why?
Because you have some weird problem, that most people don’t have? :sarcastic:
(yes, even if you count THREE now…)

PS:

You normally do not buy openSUSE.
It is offered as download for free! :wink:

If you talk about SUSE Linux Enterprise, you are in the wrong forums.

On 2014-08-03 14:16, hoegstedt wrote:

> prescribed above. It did not help. I have on several occasions and on
> several machines tried to install SUSE and the problem is ALWAYS this:
> UPDATING IS NOT POSSIBLE because ‘cannot acces installation media …
> try again in …’ Waiting does not help. I also tried to change to
> another mirror (and may well do that again, but I tried that before and
> no luck).

> update the system is important, I would never buy a system that could
> not do that.

Are you using SUSE or openSUSE?

SUSE is not gratis, specially the updates. You need a support contract
to get them, AFAIK. You need some type of authentication to get them (to
verify that you paid).

If you have bought SUSE, these are the wrong forums. This forum is about
openSUSE, and we are just users helping other users in our free time,
volunteers. We do not sell anything, and we are paid nothing.

And openSUSE is gratis.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))