Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: upgrade openSUSE 11.4 to Tumbleweed

Blog Entries

Default HowTo: upgrade openSUSE 11.4 to Tumbleweed

Due to the arrival of the Blogging / Articles module, the HowTo has been move to here: HowTo upgrade openSUSE 11.4 to Tumbleweed
    Last edited by swerdna; 20-Jun-2011 at 15:10.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Default Απ: HowTo: upgrade openSUSE 11.4 to Tumbleweed

Very useful zwerdna!!!! Thank you.
    Now I check it.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Blog Entries

Default Re: HowTo: upgrade openSUSE 11.4 to Tumbleweed

PS guys I wrote that pretty quickly, tell me what I should change OK?
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Maybe a bit more emphasize on (the links to) what Tumbleweed is, is not and that it is not for real beginners. There are some threads on the forums that give a strong impression that people want to use it because they like the word Tumbleweed ;(. We can (and in the end are not willing of course) to stop them, but pointing to the information they should read first may have more stress then it has now. (my personal opinion).
    Henk van Velden

Hi,

And won't it also be necessary to zypper dup --from Tumbleweed_All_of_Packman to switch vendor for the Packman packages?

Regards,
    Neil Darlow
    Registered Linux user #122512. Desktop Linux user for 17 years.
    Asus Eee 900: 900MHz Celeron, 1GB RAM, 12GB SSD, 915GM, openSUSE-current+Tumbleweed
    Home-built Desktop: Athlon II X2 3.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB SATA, GeForce G210, openSUSE-12.1-x86_64, KDE-4.7.2

Warning: Tumbleweed is not recommended for new users: It's a new concept, a distro that is perpetually upgraded, and it's not been going for long, so there will be problems that new users simply can't cope with. Understand this: Tumbleweed is not stable. I will not be a bit surprised if I have to reinstall Tumbleweed when some bug causes a key problem, or a dependency issue or other incompatibility arises. If that could make you stressed, don't install Tumbleweed.
    Perfect! At least we can point to this when people start complaining, (but I hope they read it before starting to use it).
    Henk van Velden

Default Απ: Re: HowTo: upgrade openSUSE 11.4 to Tumbleweed

It works. It works. It works.
    Sorry I am very happy with that.
    Thank you again swerdna.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Απ: Re: HowTo: upgrade openSUSE 11.4 to Tumbleweed

question(s) regarding repositories going forward

Once Tumbleweed is up and running what happens when new releases of openSuse appear or 11.4 is decommissioned? As one can't use 11.4 repos forever will there eventually be Tumbleweed oss, non-oss and contrib repos? Same for KDE/Gnome newer versions and various 3rd party obs repos? I assume for now just use the 11.4 versions of those obs repos.
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neildarlow View Post
    Hi,

And won't it also be necessary to zypper dup --from Tumbleweed_All_of_Packman to switch vendor for the Packman packages?

Regards,
    Neil Darlow
    I myself used both with this: "zypper dup --from Tumbleweed --from Tumbleweed_All_of_Packman" but I used the -D option first to see if it would complain, and it didn't. And I made a backup image of root partition first. However I'm not at all sure of this dual --from option, being a newbie at "zypper dup" myself. I didn't want to advertise that command up front in the howto because I would need to explain the options "--repo" and "--from" and it all looked like being a bit too wordy.

Anyone have thoughts on that?
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Blog Entries

Default Re: Απ: Re: HowTo: upgrade openSUSE 11.4 to Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by google01103 View Post
    question(s) regarding repositories going forward

Once Tumbleweed is up and running what happens when new releases of openSuse appear or 11.4 is decommissioned? As one can't use 11.4 repos forever will there eventually be Tumbleweed oss, non-oss and contrib repos? Same for KDE/Gnome newer versions and various 3rd party obs repos? I assume for now just use the 11.4 versions of those obs repos.
    Well, come November, we'll have openSUSE 12.1 as a basis for starting Tumbleweed. Those who are already based on 11.4 can keep right on tumbling I suppose, and it even will be possible in theory to start from either 11.4 or 12.1. But the expiry of 11.4 is a long ways off, don't stress about that right now. After all this is a very new process, only just getting into testing.

And for a user who is experienced enough to use Tumbleweed, reinstalling openSUSE is no sweat. So I say, wait and see how the devs have organised it all in 12 months or so.
    Last edited by swerdna; 07-Apr-2011 at 13:35. Reason: Errors
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast