After installing KDE, gnome lost its control over fonts

Hi,

I recently installed KDE (I was using GNOME). After that, I found for gnome applications, KDE font settings is applied even when I log in using GNOME. Whatever I do in appearance-fonts, all gnome applications follow the settings from KDE Personal Settings. (Application Appearance -> Fonts)

I lost all the subpixel hinting, and I finally just found out that if I set it in KDE Personal Settings it actually affects gnome applications. (I’m in GNOME now)

Is this known fact or a bug?

-Joon

I think this has to do with the KDE settings in ‘Application Appearance’ > ‘Gtk Styles and Fonts’, where you can actually specify that Gtk apps follow KDE settings.

I have both
No issues here

Actually the problem is subpixel hinting. I found that font setting itself is controlled by Gnome appearance, but subpixel hinting option is govern by KDE. (Whether or not I’m in Gnome)

You can change hinting in Gnome too

Yes I know. What I am saying is that the subpixel hinting settings in KDE Personal Settings overrules the subpixel hinting made in Gnome, even I am in Gnome.

That is, the changes I made in Gnome does not affect anything, even if I’m in Gnome, and if I open (still in Gnome) and change subpixel hinting settings in Personal Settings, it gets applied right away. All these happening in Gnome, and gtk apps get affected.

I don’t know I’m the only one who is having this. :slight_smile:

Thank you,
Joon

the subpixel hinting settings in KDE Personal Settings overrules the subpixel hinting made in Gnome, even I am in Gnome.

No, that should not happen