Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Running DOS/Windows executable files

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Santiago de Chile
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Running DOS/Windows executable files

    Yeah right but im missing something, as im new on this i have to this first to install JDownloader:

    wget must be installed on system!
    Download jd.sh
    chmod +x jd.sh
    start jd.sh

    I have Wget but there are some shell scripts like autogen.sh and configure.sh and i dont know how to handle theese
    could u please write a command line to get the idea? thanks.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Running DOS/Windows executable files

    On 2011-04-05 23:36, fengzhureloaded wrote:
    >
    > ok WINE, im gonna have a look of it.... thanks Jim, An application for
    > linux similar to JDownloader?


    Download the linux version of jdownloader from their page.

    http://www.jdownloader.org/download/index

    Click on linux, a text expands, and there are three suggestion: a zip,
    another one for ubuntu, o a new script with explanations. I used that one,
    works fine.

    And forget the ads! They pay money to them, so it is good for us. >:-P

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,050

    Default Re: Running DOS/Windows executable files

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 00:36:02 +0000, fengzhureloaded wrote:

    > Yeah right but im missing something, as im new on this i have to this
    > first to install JDownloader:
    >
    > wget must be installed on system!
    > Download jd.sh
    > chmod +x jd.sh
    > start jd.sh
    >
    > I have Wget but there are some shell scripts like autogen.sh and
    > configure.sh and i dont know how to handle theese could u please write a
    > command line to get the idea? thanks.


    I don't have any idea what it is, and generally don't have a need for it
    on my systems, so chances are I'm not going to be able to give you a step-
    by-step description of how to install it.

    Based on what it says on the download page, though, download the jd.sh
    script file (not something I'd do because I don't know the source, but
    maybe you do).

    Open a terminal and change to the directory where you downloaded the file
    to, then execute:

    chmod +x jd.sh

    And then type:

    ../jd.sh

    That should get you going. If it doesn't, post the output (between code
    tags for those on the web interface) and someone can probably help you
    with it.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Running DOS/Windows executable files

    On 2011-04-06 02:51, Jim Henderson wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 00:36:02 +0000, fengzhureloaded wrote:


    > I don't have any idea what it is, and generally don't have a need for it
    > on my systems, so chances are I'm not going to be able to give you a step-
    > by-step description of how to install it.


    I can say that it works, and is as safe as the rest of jdownloader is (or
    is not). There is a page in the wikipedia with interesting info.

    > Based on what it says on the download page, though, download the jd.sh
    > script file (not something I'd do because I don't know the source, but
    > maybe you do).


    You can inspect it :-)

    The script is the same command as later is used to run the program, and as
    part of the initialization it automatically tests to find updates on every
    run - so trusting the script is a must. However, it installs and runs as
    user, so "damage" is limited. You can use a different user, of course, and
    you could jail it with AA.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,050

    Default Re: Running DOS/Windows executable files

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 01:33:07 +0000, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    > You can inspect it :-)


    As I don't have a use for it, taking the time to inspect it seems not an
    entirely good use of my time. :-)

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Running DOS/Windows executable files

    On 04/06/2011 07:19 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
    > As I don't have a use for it, taking the time to inspect it seems not an
    > entirely good use of my time. :-)


    from what i can read it seems to be useful only to those folks who want
    to "share" licensed/copyrighted material without cost..

    something i generally can't approve of unless it is copyright is held by
    MS, Apple, Sun or Oracle :-)

    --
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [NNTP via openSUSE 11.3 + KDE4.5.5 +
    Thunderbird3.1.8] Can you believe it? This guy Ralph wins $181 million
    in the lottery last Wednesday, and then finds the love of his life just
    2 days later. Talk about LUCK!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Santiago de Chile
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Running DOS/Windows executable files

    ok problem solved it was only assigning permissions to jd.sh file, installation began instantly.........

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Running DOS/Windows executable files

    On 2011-04-06 13:33, DenverD wrote:
    > On 04/06/2011 07:19 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
    >> As I don't have a use for it, taking the time to inspect it seems not an
    >> entirely good use of my time. :-)

    >
    > from what i can read it seems to be useful only to those folks who want to
    > "share" licensed/copyrighted material without cost..


    You can also use it to download suse .iso file :-p


    I find it useful because recording a tv show takes time, it is a chore⁽¹⁾.
    It is far easier to download it from some kind chap that did the working
    for you .-p

    (1) Setting up the HD recorder or VCR equivalent. Finding that the channel
    started much earlier that what they said, so that even with 20 minutes
    advance start you lose half an hour of the program. Or they start much
    later, so the end is missing from the recording. Or they move it to another
    day... I can not always watch the TV at the time, so I resort to
    timeshifting functions, which fail ~30% of the time. And if they don't,
    then the HD fails to boot (it is linux, and you know linux is not a
    serious, reliable OS :-p).

    Far easier to fetch it from some kind soul. For movies I go to the theater
    and pay.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Running DOS/Windows executable files

    On 04/06/2011 05:14 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    > (1) Setting up the HD recorder or VCR equivalent.


    thank you for the enlightening explanation...some day i hope to join
    this century's plethora of entertainment avenues...and, i will keep this
    in mind!!

    --
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [NNTP via openSUSE 11.3 + KDE4.5.5 +
    Thunderbird3.1.8] Can you believe it? This guy Ralph wins $181 million
    in the lottery last Wednesday, and then finds the love of his life just
    2 days later. Talk about LUCK!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Running DOS/Windows executable files

    On 2011-04-06 17:55, DenverD wrote:
    > On 04/06/2011 05:14 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    >
    >> (1) Setting up the HD recorder or VCR equivalent.

    >
    > thank you for the enlightening explanation...some day i hope to join this
    > century's plethora of entertainment avenues...and, i will keep this in mind!!


    I suppose there are many reasons to use this kind of software. In my case
    is that only, get an episode of a tv serial that didn't manage to see in my
    tv for reasons beyond my control or luck. I found it easier than make the
    recording myself - to my surprise.

    Others I know use it to get a free copy of windows. I (almost) do not use
    windows and I have a paid for copy.


    And as I said, it will offer to download anything! I was going to paste the
    link to download 11.4 dvd into a post on this forum, and the program
    captured the link and offered to download it. Ie, it can work as a plain
    downloader.

    I discovered this program just two weeks ago...

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •