Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox 4.0.4 and USB devices

Default Virtualbox 4.0.4 and USB devices

Hi. I installed the latest version of Oracle Virtualbox 4.0.4 OSE on my OpenSUSE 11.4 64 bit with GNOME and Packman plus Tumbleweed system. I also installed the Virtualbox Guest Tools 4.0.4-14-1. I have a SanDisk Cruzer 16.00 GB USB 2.0 flash stick drive. I formatted it as FAT unencrypted. I put in my Microsoft Word and Powerpoint along with Excel files on it. I plugged my SanDisk Cruzer into the USB 2 port and OpenSUSE immediately recognized it and mounted it. However, I have a Microsoft Windows 7 32 bit virtual machine that will not see my SanDisk Cruzer.

What do I need to do to solve this problem?

What information do you need to help you?

Thank you.

Default Απ: Virtualbox 4.0.4 and USB devices

Is the OSE version supporting USB devices?

Default Re: Απ: Virtualbox 4.0.4 and USB devices

I checked the Oracle Virtualbox website and it says that the OSE supports USB devices only if I install the extension pack. When I checked the package list in Install / Remove Software, I did not see the extension pack listed. I went to the Oracle Virtualbox website directly to download and install the extension pack directly, but it is not working.

What should I do to solve this problem?

It sounds like you have everything you need installed. See if the steps in this pic help:

I do not see the Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller option which consequently means that I still cannot access my USB devices under my Windows 7 virtual machine.

How do I solve this problem?

Blog Entries

What version of Virtual Box?

You need the one from this repo:
    Index of /virtualbox/rpm/opensuse/11.4/
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

The Extension Packs needs to be installed in the Host not The Guest. Download it in openSUSE and click (or double-click) to install.
    See here for more info: Chapter3.Configuring virtual machines

Default Re: Virtualbox 4.0.4 and USB devices

I am using the repository that you mentioned now. I installed virtualbox-4.0. I downloaded and I installed the extension pack from the Oracle Virtualbox website. I need to reboot my laptop now to see if everything will work. I think that it is going to work. I will report back later.

One more tip. You need to add yourself to the vboxusers group.

I ran into a problem. Virtualbox-4.0.4 does not work anymore. I am using Linux kernel 2.6.38-18.1-desktop. When I try to run my Windows 7 virtual machine, it gives me two error messages:

1. Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows7. The virtual machine has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1.

2. The Virtualbox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv . Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. Users of Ubuntu, Fedora, or Mandriva should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

What do I need to do to solve this problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast