Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Broadcom WiFi card ceased to work after upgrading to Suse 11.4

  1. #1

    Default Broadcom WiFi card ceased to work after upgrading to Suse 11.4

    Hello there,

    I recently installed Suse 11.4 on my Dell Latitude 2110 netbook using the KDE live distribution, and, after that, the Broadcom wireless ceased to work.

    To enable the wireless connection, I have to press Fn + F6.
    If I do it now, the wireless led indicator turns on for a couple of seconds, then turns off again. Moreover, the option to enable the wireless connection in the network manager is greyed out

    lspci output:
    Code:
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01)
    iwconfig output:
    Code:
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
    dmesg output:
    Code:
    [    8.330963] brcm80211: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
    [    8.362403] brcm80211 0000:0c:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    [    8.362422] brcm80211 0000:0c:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    output of rpm -qa | grep broadcom:
    Code:
    broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop-5.100.82.38_k2.6.37.1_1.2-7.pm.8.1.x86_64
    broadcom-wl-5.100.82.38-7.pm.8.1.x86_64


    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Broadcom WiFi card ceased to work after upgrading to Suse 11.4

    Post result of

    /sbin/lspci -nnk

    only need the wireless part really
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sulzbach (Taunus), Hessen [Hesse], Deutschland [Germany]
    Posts
    2,178

    Arrow Re: Broadcom WiFi card ceased to work after upgrading to Suse 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by MadSplinter View Post
    Hello there,

    I recently installed Suse 11.4 on my Dell Latitude 2110 netbook using the KDE live distribution, and, after that, the Broadcom wireless ceased to work.

    To enable the wireless connection, I have to press Fn + F6.
    If I do it now, the wireless led indicator turns on for a couple of seconds, then turns off again. Moreover, the option to enable the wireless connection in the network manager is greyed out

    lspci output:
    Code:
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01)
    iwconfig output:
    Code:
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
    dmesg output:
    Code:
    [    8.330963] brcm80211: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
    [    8.362403] brcm80211 0000:0c:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    [    8.362422] brcm80211 0000:0c:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    output of rpm -qa | grep broadcom:
    Code:
    broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop-5.100.82.38_k2.6.37.1_1.2-7.pm.8.1.x86_64
    broadcom-wl-5.100.82.38-7.pm.8.1.x86_64


    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
    If so - that may even include my amateurish suggestions

    1)
    To the driver:

    Could you also post anything that includes the hexadecimal numeric ID of your wireless LAN device to be really sure what you have in front of you (something like [14e4:4353])?

    I think the relevant part of
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nn
    or
    the output of
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -vnn | grep 14e4
    (14e4 stands for the vendor broadcom)
    should include that.

    Outlook to the future:
    If no other cause for your problem is to be found you may have to install the closed "wl" driver from the vendor (packed by packman). But maybe lwfinger or another clever person will find an other cause and so a possibility to stay on the open way...
    And I guess going first through the (other) possibilities step by step would be wise.

    2)
    To possible blocking things (soft blocked or hard blocked):

    May you please post the output of:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/rfkill list
    If the rfkill program is not install jet you may install it - example given with:
    Code:
    sudo zypper install rfkill
    Regards
    Martin
    (pistazienfresser)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sulzbach (Taunus), Hessen [Hesse], Deutschland [Germany]
    Posts
    2,178

    Default Re: Broadcom WiFi card ceased to work after upgrading to Suse 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Post result of

    /sbin/lspci -nnk

    only need the wireless part really
    Or that way (maybe I should write fewer and faster...)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Broadcom WiFi card ceased to work after upgrading to Suse 11.4

    This is the result of /sbin/lspci -nnk:
    Code:
    0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4353] (rev 01)
            Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:000e]
            Kernel driver in use: brcm80211
    and this is the output from rfkill:
    Code:
    0: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    1: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    2: dell-wwan: Wireless WAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    3: hci0: Bluetooth
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    4: phy0: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    To Martin:
    If no other cause for your problem is to be found you may have to install the closed "wl" driver from the vendor (packed by packman)
    I thought that the files I have installed, i.e.
    - broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop-5.100.82.38_k2.6.37.1_1.2-7.pm.8.1.x86_64
    - broadcom-wl-5.100.82.38-7.pm.8.1.x86_64
    were already the closed one released by the vendor... Am I wrong?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sulzbach (Taunus), Hessen [Hesse], Deutschland [Germany]
    Posts
    2,178

    Question Re: Broadcom WiFi card ceased to work after upgrading to Suse 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by MadSplinter View Post
    This is the result of /sbin/lspci -nnk:
    Code:
    0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4353] (rev 01)
            Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:000e]
            Kernel driver in use: brcm80211
    [...]
    To Martin:


    I thought that the files I have installed, i.e.
    - broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop-5.100.82.38_k2.6.37.1_1.2-7.pm.8.1.x86_64
    - broadcom-wl-5.100.82.38-7.pm.8.1.x86_64
    were already the closed one released by the vendor... Am I wrong?
    You are right.
    But the cause of my confusion may also be related to the cause of your problem:
    As the lspci output says you are currently using brcm80211 -> see: brcm80211 - Linux Wireless .
    I guess if you want to use the closed source driver you may have to load it (via modprobe ?).
    What do the other members of this forums think?

    Just to be sure that you have installed the right kernel-module and closed source driver - what does
    Code:
    uname -a
    say?

    Regards
    Martin
    (pistazienfresser)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sulzbach (Taunus), Hessen [Hesse], Deutschland [Germany]
    Posts
    2,178

    Default Re: Broadcom WiFi card ceased to work after upgrading to Suse 11.4

    And to the open way:
    Did you try to install the fitting Broadcom firmware for the brcm80211 before tying to use the closed driver?

    Regards
    Martin
    (pistazienfresser)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Broadcom WiFi card ceased to work after upgrading to Suse 11.4

    this is my linux version:
    Linux nanodesktop.site 2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2011-02-21 10:34:10 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    so, the wl driver I downloaded should fit the kernel version.

    Martin, just to be sure to do the things right: do I have to remove the wl drivers before installing the b43?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Broadcom WiFi card ceased to work after upgrading to Suse 11.4

    As su do this:
    Code:
    /sbin/modprobe -rv brcm80211
    Code:
    /sbin/modprobe -v wl
    Can you check
    Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/50-broadcom-wl-blacklist.conf
    add this if it's not there:

    Code:
    blacklist brcm80211
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sulzbach (Taunus), Hessen [Hesse], Deutschland [Germany]
    Posts
    2,178

    Default Re: Broadcom WiFi card ceased to work after upgrading to Suse 11.4

    Quote Originally Posted by MadSplinter View Post
    this is my linux version:
    Linux nanodesktop.site 2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2011-02-21 10:34:10 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    so, the wl driver I downloaded should fit the kernel version.

    Martin, just to be sure to do the things right: do I have to remove the wl drivers before installing the b43?
    I think you should follow Carl's (caf4926's) advice and try to load the closed source driver - he is more experienced in software things and especially in relation to Broadcom hardware than me.

    But a short remark:
    Please do not install or load the driver b43 -> this is just an other driver for other Broadcom devices and will
    (according to the table "Known PCI devices" on b43 - Linux Wireless )
    not support your "14e4:4353" device.

    I wish you success
    Martin
    (pistazienfresser)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •