Firefox and flash player problem in opensuse 11.4

I’ve upgraded my system from opensuse 11.2 to opensuse 11.4. Everything went smooth except one problem. Firefox does not run the flash (i.e. youtube videos for example). The weird thing it detect the flashlibs. from about:plugins:

Shockwave Flash

File: /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so
    Version: 
    Shockwave Flash 10.2 r153

On other side, konqueror runs flash vdeos without any problem. My system is 32bit.

can anybody help?

Maybe you can try to create a symblic link in ~/.mozilla/plugins/
ln -s /usr/ib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

I’ve already try this but without success :frowning:

Finally I find the problem. I’ve just downloaded firefox 4 from mozilla.org and every thing works perfectly. Time to file bug for opensuse :wink:

i am using firefox 4.01 with opensuse 11.4 64 bit edition. but no video is being played either in moneycontrol.com or youtube.com

Do you have flash-player installed?

Just check

su -
zypper in flash-player

zypper in flash-player
Retrieving repository ‘Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0’ metadata [done]
Building repository ‘Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0’ cache [done]
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
‘flash-player’ is already installed.
No update candidate for ‘flash-player-10.3.181.26-0.2.1.i586’. The highest available version is already installed.
Resolving package dependencies…

Nothing to do.

now what to do?

When you try to view youtube
Does it tell you flash is not installed?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

see the image

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

and this one also

Please try this

su -
zypper rm gnash

I’m guessing you must have it installed

in the above two links i posted the gnash error print screen windows…please help me to sort this problem out.

zypper rm gnash
Retrieving repository ‘Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0’ metadata [done]
Building repository ‘Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0’ cache [done]
Loading repository data…

The following package is going to be REMOVED:
gnash

1 package to remove.
After the operation, 10.4 MiB will be freed.
Continue? [y/n/?] (y): y
Removing gnash-0.8.8-5.3 [done]
There are some running programs that use files deleted by recent upgrade. You may wish to restart some of them. Run ‘zypper ps’ to list these programs.

So now is it working?

it’s working fine now…thanx a lot…will you enlighten me about what happened? needed a restart though.

You had another type of flash application that was interfering with adobe flash
We just removed it

Hi I also have the same issue and I followed your example above with the results below but I still cant view utube videos. I also noticed he installed version on Chrome is not the same as on chrome in windows, is this part of the cause?

linux-5j3r:~ # zypper in flash-player
Loading repository data…
‘flash-player’ is already installed.
No update candidate for ‘flash-player-10.3.181.26-0.2.1.i586’. The highest available version is already installed.

Nothing to do.
linux-5j3r:~ # zypper rm gnash
Loading repository data…
Package ‘gnash’ is not installed.
‘gnash’ not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
No provider of ‘gnash’ is installed.

Nothing to do.
linux-5j3r:~ # ^C

Many thanks in advance for your help

Hi again, I also have more info regarding my error, I thought about starting a new thread but didnt want to duplicate them, please see below.

Google Chrome version (version 12.0.742.112):
Operating System: Linux Opensuse 11.4
Error Message: Various
Google chrome Extensions installed: Google voice, gmail, tasks, calendar, Translate, Convert this site to pdf, Screen capture, Dictionary
Please describe your question/comment in detail (for example, steps to reproduce the problem):
Whilst trying to access https://tsg.fxcorporate.com/ a connection error to the server displays. When at first I thought it may have been a security issue ie firewall, app armour both where eliminated by disabling and restarting but the error still remained. To further track this down I was able to access https://tsg.fxcorporate.com/ from Google Chrome from the same PC within Windows within virtualbox. The version of Chrome in Windows is identical and the access goes through the same machine, which indicates that the connection is not blocked.
I noticed the version of Flash Player (Required for this site) was different in the Windows version of Chrome to my version on Linux. Windows chrome has flash player version 10.3.181.34 whereas Opensuse ll.4 Chrome has flash player version 10.3.181.26.
Does this mean that Linux Chrome is out of date and this is the cause of the website issue.

Many thanks in advance for you assistance.

@daren787
What browser are you using, have you tried other browsers?
Is this openSUSE 11.4, Gnome or KDE, 32 or 64 bit?

Yes sorry, tried to think of all that you may need and left out some details.
Its opensuse 11.4 KDE 64 bit

Alos I have tried Google Chrome, Firefox, and Konquer