Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Unrecoverable space with thunar

  1. #1

    Default Unrecoverable space with thunar

    When I plug in a USB drive and delete some files, there's no indication I can empty the recycling bin. The files aren't visible anymore in thunar, but the space isn't available to use. I end up having to format the drive to get my space back.

    If I open a terminal and go to /media/NEW VOLUME/.Trash-500/files I can see the files and folders that should have been deleted.

    I'm using a net install of openSuSE with the XFCE environment, and I've never had this issue on a clean gnome install or any other desktop. I'm also using kernel 2.6.38-30-desktop.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unrecoverable space with thunar

    Is this a flash drive or something like an external sata?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Unrecoverable space with thunar

    On 2011-04-05 00:36, DupermanDave wrote:
    >
    > When I plug in a USB drive and delete some files, there's no indication
    > I can empty the recycling bin. The files aren't visible anymore in
    > thunar, but the space isn't available to use. I end up having to format
    > the drive to get my space back.
    >
    > If I open a terminal and go to /media/NEW VOLUME/.Trash-500/files I can
    > see the files and folders that should have been deleted.


    Instead of formatting, delete those files via CLI or another file browser.
    If Thunar can't see them, report the bug in Bugzilla.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Unrecoverable space with thunar

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Is this a flash drive or something like an external sata?
    It's a flash drive.

    I submitted a bug report. I'm always afraid to submit reports unless I check with the forums first because it could be a known issue with a workaround and an update coming, or it could be a setting I may be missing.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Unrecoverable space with thunar

    When you delete files from flash drives they don't go into any recycle bin/wastebin, they're just removed

    Perhaps thunar isn't re-reading the free space when you're deleting files, try deleting something and then pressing F5 (reload/refresh) to see if it changesthe available space then. You could also try safely removing the drive then plugging it back in

    Could also try installing dolphin and check whether you get the same behaviour

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Unrecoverable space with thunar

    On 2011-04-05 21:06, Ecky wrote:
    >
    > When you delete files from flash drives they don't go into any recycle
    > bin/wastebin, they're just removed


    I don't see why not - and in fact, they went to the trash can. Remember he
    is not using gnome or kde, but xfce.


    In the Thunar of my 11.2 I see a trash folder. I created a file, removed
    it, and then I browsed the Trash - the file was there. And yes, all this on
    a flash drive.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •