Thread: how to install openSUSE 11.4 on a Dell R610 with raid1 ?

Question how to install openSUSE 11.4 on a Dell R610 with raid1 ?

hello susers !

i have here a DELL R610 Server with 4x 1TB.

The Server goes with following specification:

2x 1TB as Raid1 (OS, Boot, swap, home)
    2x 1TB as Raid1 (Fileshares & postgreSQL DB)

The Dell Server has the 700er Raidcontroller in it.

I have all harddrives in the server. 2 are recognized from openSUSE, the other 2 not.

Do i have to install the second raid with a separate driver ? I'm confused, because i am relatively new with RAID under Linux.......

Thanks for any help, how to install openSUSE 11.4 on this machine with 2x 1TB Raid1......

Default Re: how to install openSUSE 11.4 on a Dell R610 with raid1 ?

I found the Raid Configurator CTRL+R at booting leads me into the PERC H700 Raidcontroller Bios. I can create my Raids.

But my questions about the configuration of openSUSE 11.4 is still open.

Plz answer me to this question. Thanks

Default Re : Re: how to install openSUSE 11.4 on a Dell R610 with raid1 ?

Hi,

Some readings for you : SDB:Installing on LARGE disks - openSUSE

Blog Entries

Default Re: Re : Re: how to install openSUSE 11.4 on a Dell R610 with raid1 ?

Tough one, most of us use software raids.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Default Re: Re : Re: how to install openSUSE 11.4 on a Dell R610 with raid1 ?

I'm not sure the question I guess ... if you create the RAID volumes with the RAID BIOS, and you reboot the system (which I think you will be required to do), can you see all of the RAID volumes with the installation program now?

My server has a Dell PERC adapter in it, and I had no trouble with it seeing my drives after I had created the volumes in the RAID BIOS.
    Main Machine: Dell G7 running Ubuntu 18.04
    Server: Dell PowerEdge SC1430 running CentOS 7.x

Cool Re: Re : Re: how to install openSUSE 11.4 on a Dell R610 with raid1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by katanacb View Post
    I'm not sure the question I guess ... if you create the RAID volumes with the RAID BIOS, and you reboot the system (which I think you will be required to do), can you see all of the RAID volumes with the installation program now?

My server has a Dell PERC adapter in it, and I had no trouble with it seeing my drives after I had created the volumes in the RAID BIOS.
    Hi all !

Yes you are completely right Katanabc. I did it wrong. I moved to the DELL BIOS and i created there my raids....... After a reboot, openSUSE was recognizing my raids. I dont want a software raid because i have a PERC 700 in my dell.

So its working now..... but i have another big problem... today, i startet my fresh new dell server: No keyboard to login bwoahaha.... cannot believe it... i postet another thread in the german forums here.... Failsafe is working. i have a keyboard there.....anyway.

thank you for your help. it helped me