Monitoring a <<BLIND>> opensuse 11.3 server from a laptop ( opensuse 11.3 and winXP )

I have a box which I want to make a Samba PDC opensuse 11.3 server, but it doesn’t have monitor nor keyboard during normal use. After a standard installation with keyboard and screen, I will have to remove the screen and the keyboard for lake of space.
Are there ways to monitor this linux server through my laptop so it act as the screen and the keyboard of the linux server?
At any times, the laptop is running desktop opensuse 11.3 or windows XP.
Explainations and links are welcome.

Hi
Command line via ssh or putty from windows, if your wanting a GUI, then I suggest NX from nomachine clients and server componets for linux, clients for windows. If your wanting to copy files in windows use winscp.

Hello.

I will have a look to NX.

Thank you very much.

I will come back later if I run into problem.

JCD

You could use SWAT and manage it through a web interface.

Although ncurses YaST is the most lightweight way.

Hello.
Can you help me as I do not see the connection with a laptop running Windows XP (or opensuse 11.3) and having the role of being the screen and keyboard of the linux server.
In that case, the laptop is used to stop the server, read logs when necessary, restart services when necessary, …

Than you for your help.

You just want to control samba right? You don’t need a full console for that, that’s why I haven’t addressed your request for a remote keyboard and screen, as they are not essential. SWAT or ncurses YaST can control Samba for you.

On Tue April 5 2011 04:06 pm, ken yap wrote:

>
> You just want to control samba right? You don’t need a full console for
> that, that’s why I haven’t addressed your request for a remote keyboard
> and screen, as they are not essential. SWAT or ncurses YaST can control
> Samba for you.
>
>
jcdole;

Another possible solution is webmin, which provides for remote administration
of Linux systems. The binaries should be in the repos. For more
information see:
http://www.webmin.com/

I prefer webmin over SWAT to administer Samba.

P. V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you.” Red Green

Hi

Not Only.

If I can start the server without a keyboard nor screen, I need them to monitor the server :

• Stop the server every evening
  • Read logs
  • Burn Backup DVD

You can do all those things via a ssh connection. You can even run GUI programs displaying to your workstation using ssh’s X forwarding.

ssh client on laptop (client side) can connect to linux server using normal user/password linux credential
ssh client on linux server (server side) can connect to linux server using normal user/password linux credential

Installing NX fromp scratch

• No problem during nxclient install
  • No problem during nxnode install
  • I get this error during nxserver install :

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 4176
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
NX> 200 Connected to address: 192.168.30.10 on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.

Any sugestion ?

Hello.

I had just forgotten to put users in the group defined in sshd_config : AllowGroups my-ssh-login-group.

Now I can monitor myt serrver from my laptop.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for your help