Thread: nVIDIA GeForce GT 325M and nVIDIA Optimus

Default nVIDIA GeForce GT 325M and nVIDIA Optimus

I own an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC that has an Intel HD IGP, nVIDIA GeForce GT 325M GPU, and nVIDIA Optimus technology. I am running OpenSUSE 11.4 64 bit with GNOME.

I used to be a former Ubuntu user. I used Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat 64 bit. In Ubuntu, it was not recommended that I install the proprietary nVIDIA binary drivers because it would cause me to log into a TTY console upon reboot.

nVIDIA states that they have no plans to support Optimus technology in Linux at any time.

Would it be recommended that I install the proprietary nVIDIA binary drivers in OpenSUSE 11.4 64 bit with GNOME? Will I get the same problem as in Ubuntu?

How do I do this?

Please reply with your recommendations and step by step instructions. Thank you.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: nVIDIA GeForce GT 325M and nVIDIA Optimus

I own an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC that has an Intel HD IGP, nVIDIA GeForce GT 325M GPU, and nVIDIA Optimus technology. I am running OpenSUSE 11.4 64 bit with GNOME.

I used to be a former Ubuntu user. I used Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat 64 bit. In Ubuntu, it was not recommended that I install the proprietary nVIDIA binary drivers because it would cause me to log into a TTY console upon reboot.

nVIDIA states that they have no plans to support Optimus technology in Linux at any time.

Would it be recommended that I install the proprietary nVIDIA binary drivers in OpenSUSE 11.4 64 bit with GNOME? Will I get the same problem as in Ubuntu?

How do I do this?

Please reply with your recommendations and step by step instructions. Thank you.
    As I understand it, unless you can switch on the nVIDIA graphics from your BIOS settings, you can't use it in Linux. The nVIDIA persona must remain active for it to be usable. I did some searching on the subject, but could not find anything really new from this year to say where this subject was headed. If the default graphics works OK, it may be best to stick with them. If, after a BIOS setting changes, find you are running nVIDIA, I would surely try to load their proprietary video driver.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas