Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: install from DVD/Hard Disk "No Repository Found"

Default install from DVD/Hard Disk "No Repository Found"

Alright, first I burned the image I download to a DVD, first DVD didn't work, but second one did, got to the installation process where it probes everything... and at the end it said "Repository Not Found"....... okay....

Hmmm..

So I copied the image to my external hard drive.....

And went to install from Hard drive...

did the director of the image by just putting openSUSE-11.4-DVD... etc...
    because it already does hd:

I had tried F: before, and it didnt work either..

And yet again, I get "repository not found"....

btw, THIS IS FROM CLEAN INSTALL< I HAD TO ERASE XP and the external is a NTFS hard drive with about 12 gb's free...
    Can you help?

Default Re: install from DVD/Hard Disk "No Repository Found"

Did you run the media check?

Did you check the checksums of the ISO?

Did you burn at the slowest speed?

Linux uses the partition tags in the form of sdx# where x is a,b... and # is the partition number of the disk, not drive letters. Forget Windows naming conventions.

On 2011-04-03 16:36, anonp113 wrote:
    > btw, the external is a NTFS hard drive with about 12 gb's free...

I have a vague recollection that NTFS doesn't work in this situation, but
    can't find the reference. I'm unsure.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Do I understand that you copied the file openSUSE-11.4-DVD-i586.iso to a place on an NTFS formatted partition and then tried to boot from it? That can't work imho.
    Henk van Velden

1) Media check???
    2) Yes, just did check Md5, they are the same.
    3) I used ImgBurn, AWS

The imgburn was for the cd, which seemed to fail because I get "No Repository Found" at system probe.

I copied the ISO (EXTRACTED) file's to my external hard drive, which is NTFS, and went to install from Hard Disk.... What directory path should I use if it's in openSUSE folder?

This external hard drive has all my stuff on it, I don't want anything to happen to it...
    Is there a way to partition a segment of it to fat32 without erasing all the NTFS stuff? That is if NTFS isn't compatible...

It would be nice if we could fix the CD problem, if we do that then wont have to worry about Hard Drive.

Thanks.

P.S I don't want to install openSUSE on my external hard drive, I want to install it on the laptop.

DO NOT try to install OpenSuse from inside Windows. This will NOT work and you can DESTROY the Windows install!!!!!!!!!

An .iso file is a file system in itself. When it is burned on an CD/DVD that CD/DVD then contains a file system according to a specific ISO standard. In the case of this install .iso file, it is made such that you can then boot from that CD/DVD. when you extract this file into another file system (being it a Windows one or a Linux one), you can not boot any more from it. Thus it is of no use to do this.

IMHO we should try to solve the original problem: you boot from the DVD. Please describe more detailed what happened exactly during that boot and how far you got before you got stuck. Also give us please the exact error message.

Also a more detailed description of th system you try to install on may give more information to people here.
    Henk van Velden

EDIT: I ran check installation media, and it said error reading sector, this dvd is broken.

@ Gogal, I'm not trying to install it from windows, I'm trying to install it from boot where you normally install it.

@ hcvv, currently there is no operating system on the laptop I am trying to install it on. The laptop itself is a old Dell XPS, and I don't know the exact model.

When I boot from DVD, I get to the System probe.
    At the last part of the system probe, it comes up with a "Repository Not Found", error.
    As for the error message, it displays this when it quits the installation and goes to the screen where it gives 3 options with sub-options, etc.

Here is the error messages:

WILL EDIT THIS.

UPDATE: BURNING A NEW DVD AT LOW SPEEDS HAS SEEMED TO SOLVED THE PROBLEM, I JUST INSTALLED OPENSUSE.

Congratulations!

Again those who advice to burn at slow speed on a good brand of DVD are proven to be right!

Enjoy your openSUSE!
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast