Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Packman switch to LibAV

Default Packman switch to LibAV

I checked for updates today and noticed that the Packman repository have switched to the new forked FFmpeg library: LibAV. This include gstreamer and other dependent libraries.

VLC runs without a problem but i wonder what other applications depending on FFmpeg will not run...

It looks like FFmpeg was removed from the repository.
    WE ARE LINUX... RESISTANCE IS FUTILE !!
    openSUSE 13.1, KDE
    2 daughters, 1 Dog, lots of passion for Linux

Default Re: Packman switch to LibAV

Quote Originally Posted by Argoson View Post

VLC runs without a problem but i wonder what other applications depending on FFmpeg will not run...

seems your right, but libav still includes ffmpeg so I doubt any application will notice.

this explains some of the reasoning why the change [packman] ffmpeg not in monolithic repository
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

Quote Originally Posted by Argoson View Post
    I checked for updates today and noticed that the Packman repository have switched to the new forked FFmpeg library: LibAV. This include gstreamer and other dependent libraries.

I was apprehensive when I saw it was gone, and didn't let libav to update as it wanted to remove ffmpeg. Because I use and rely on mythtv backend and several front ends I didn't want to break it. So I let one of my laptops update, and tested. Mythtv played everything just fine, recordings, dvd rips, and livetv. So I updated the rest of the machines and everything works as it should.

I was reluctant because mythtv is picky, it can be very, very picky and something as drastic as removing ffmpeg I figured would break it for sure, well it works, and I am happy.

openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

Yeah and were are all the header files for

configure: WARNING: libavutil/avutil.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
    configure: WARNING: libavcodec/avcodec.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
    configure: WARNING: libavformat/avformat.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
    configure: WARNING: libswscale/swscale.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?

ZoneMinder broke and I can't compile it. They're not in the devel package.

There's one for ya.

Blog Entries

It broke get_iplayer - well it doesn't convert the download from .flv to .mp4
    So I switched back to ffmpeg
    I had to use the tumbleweed packman repo for that
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

So is it wiser to keep ffmpeg? But will there be further updates of ffmpeg? If so from what repo/url can we download them?

Quote Originally Posted by fernando_a_martin View Post
    So is it wiser to keep ffmpeg? But will there be further updates of ffmpeg? If so from what repo/url can we download them?
    there's a discussion about this in the Packman mailing list The Packman April 2011 Archive by date

as it's a fork there's 2 groups developing and both will be updating

they can't be hosted on the obs so it's Packman, compile your own or try Google'ing

Interesting - as of now neither is showing in the Packman repo's

Quote Originally Posted by google01103 View Post
    there's a discussion about this in the Packman mailing list The Packman April 2011 Archive by date

Interesting - as of now neither is showing in the Packman repo's
    yes .............Libav is gone from packman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast