Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Switched from Ubuntu to OpenSUSE

Default Switched from Ubuntu to OpenSUSE

I used to be an Ubuntu guy, but version 10.10 Maverick Meerkat 64 bit is full of bugs that degrade stability and reliability especially when it comes to using hardware devices such as Super Speed USB 3.0 and eSATA devices such as external hard drives. I would frequently get a kernel panic in the middle of working on a project and restarting my ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC resulted in nothing as Ubuntu failed to boot. This has happened to me at least 7 times over the past two weeks. I got sick and tired to all of these problems so I decided to give OpenSUSE a try.

I just downloaded the DVD .ISO 64 bit file and I am burning it onto a blank single layer DVD-R disc right now. I plan to restart my computer and install OpenSUSE 11.4 64 bit. I do not know much about OpenSUSE though I do plan to learn as much as possible so I will ask a bunch of newbie questions until I feel comfortable using this new operating system. I chose OpenSUSE because Linux.com recommended it as the best Linux distribution for laptop owners due to the excellent power management features, support for docking stations, Wi-Fi support, CDMA and cellular modems, and dual-monitor output.

So, please be patient with me as I learn more about OpenSUSE and thanks for welcoming me to your community.

Default Απ: Switched from Ubuntu to OpenSUSE

Welcome to our community. I hope you enjoy your new operating system. Anyway you must not be worried all members are here to help. Ask whatever you want and we will help you.
    Πάντα Φιλικά, Στάμος.
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15.3||x86_64||Gnome 3.14 & KDE 5||AMD Ryzen 7 8 core||Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Edition
    Γλώσσες Προγραμματισμού: C++, Qt developing.
    http://bit.ly/fT8Hfi

Default Re: Απ: Switched from Ubuntu to OpenSUSE

So far, I like OpenSUSE 11.4 64 bit. It is not as fast as Ubuntu, but it is much more stable and reliable. I have not plugged in any of my hard drives in yet, but I will test those features later on today. I still need to install Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32 bit in a Virtual Box virtual machine so that I can keep up with my graduate school which requires it.

My goal is to stick with OpenSUSE and upgrade when newer releases are available for the general public. This is a much more up to date distribution than Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit.

Default Re: Απ: Switched from Ubuntu to OpenSUSE

I tested my Super Speed USB 3.0 port with my external SATA-II 500.00 GB 7,200 RPM hard drive and it worked. I will test my ExpressCard/34 slot and I will test my eSATA hard drive later on.

At this point, Ubuntu 10.10 froze up on my computer and I could not restart and boot Ubuntu anymore. It would require me to reinstall everything from scratch.

OpenSUSE 11.4 is still working through these simple tests.

I think that I picked the right Linux distribution. We shall see if my installation keeps going after a couple of weeks without any problems.

Default Re : Re: Απ: Switched from Ubuntu to OpenSUSE

Hi wellywu,

Welcome to openSUSE!

Default Re: Re : Re: Απ: Switched from Ubuntu to OpenSUSE

I tested my eSATA connection to my Western Digital SATA-II 1.50 TB Caviar Green hard drive and it works. My Amazon Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi works with Calibre too. My Etymotic Research EtyBlu2 headset works as well. My Apple iPod 30.00 GB player works with Banshee as well too.

So far, everything works right out of the box. I am happy with OpenSUSE 11.4!

Default Re: Switched from Ubuntu to OpenSUSE

The OpenSUSE community is very friendly and supportive. I am receiving help for my ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC in terms of fixing the suspend feature and I am patiently waiting for a solution for the hibernation feature as well.

The Ubuntu forums were filled with people that cared and wanted to help fellow Ubuntu users as well, but there were some nasty people that made the community a little inhospitable from time to time. I am glad to see that has not yet happened to me here on the OpenSUSE community board.

I already feel at home here.

Hey, welcome and me migrated too from Ubuntu (9.04).
    If i can make, you can too.

Hi and welcome from me too!

I also migrated from Ubuntu to OpenSuse and I never regret this step.

My last Ubuntu version was 10.04 and my first Susy was 11.3. I had the same experience as you: in OpenSuse nearly everything works out of the box. The hardware support is much better than with Ubuntu and my Suzies (I have two: one 11.3 and one 11.4) are very stable and reliable.

The Opensuse Forum is a nice place and here are a lot of helpful people. They always helped me with my newbie questions. So I am confident that you will make it too!

cheers
    Steffen
    Desk: HP Pavilion, Nvidia GeForce GTX460, Atheros Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2, Win7
    Lap: Sony Vaio VPCEB3J1E, Intel GMA 3500, Intel Wlan, openSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.2
    Netty: HP Mini 3530, Xubuntu 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by wellywu View Post
    I am glad to see that has not yet happened to me here on the OpenSUSE community board.
    I see you haven't met me yet

In all seriousness, I only lash out at annoying people ;-)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast