Switched from Ubuntu to OpenSUSE

I used to be an Ubuntu guy, but version 10.10 Maverick Meerkat 64 bit is full of bugs that degrade stability and reliability especially when it comes to using hardware devices such as Super Speed USB 3.0 and eSATA devices such as external hard drives. I would frequently get a kernel panic in the middle of working on a project and restarting my ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC resulted in nothing as Ubuntu failed to boot. This has happened to me at least 7 times over the past two weeks. I got sick and tired to all of these problems so I decided to give OpenSUSE a try.

I just downloaded the DVD .ISO 64 bit file and I am burning it onto a blank single layer DVD-R disc right now. I plan to restart my computer and install OpenSUSE 11.4 64 bit. I do not know much about OpenSUSE though I do plan to learn as much as possible so I will ask a bunch of newbie questions until I feel comfortable using this new operating system. I chose OpenSUSE because Linux.com recommended it as the best Linux distribution for laptop owners due to the excellent power management features, support for docking stations, Wi-Fi support, CDMA and cellular modems, and dual-monitor output.

So, please be patient with me as I learn more about OpenSUSE and thanks for welcoming me to your community.

Welcome to our community. I hope you enjoy your new operating system. Anyway you must not be worried all members are here to help. Ask whatever you want and we will help you.:slight_smile:

So far, I like OpenSUSE 11.4 64 bit. It is not as fast as Ubuntu, but it is much more stable and reliable. I have not plugged in any of my hard drives in yet, but I will test those features later on today. I still need to install Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32 bit in a Virtual Box virtual machine so that I can keep up with my graduate school which requires it.

My goal is to stick with OpenSUSE and upgrade when newer releases are available for the general public. This is a much more up to date distribution than Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit.

I tested my Super Speed USB 3.0 port with my external SATA-II 500.00 GB 7,200 RPM hard drive and it worked. I will test my ExpressCard/34 slot and I will test my eSATA hard drive later on.

At this point, Ubuntu 10.10 froze up on my computer and I could not restart and boot Ubuntu anymore. It would require me to reinstall everything from scratch.

OpenSUSE 11.4 is still working through these simple tests.

I think that I picked the right Linux distribution. We shall see if my installation keeps going after a couple of weeks without any problems.

Hi wellywu,

Welcome to openSUSE! :slight_smile:

I tested my eSATA connection to my Western Digital SATA-II 1.50 TB Caviar Green hard drive and it works. My Amazon Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi works with Calibre too. My Etymotic Research EtyBlu2 headset works as well. My Apple iPod 30.00 GB player works with Banshee as well too.

So far, everything works right out of the box. I am happy with OpenSUSE 11.4!

The OpenSUSE community is very friendly and supportive. I am receiving help for my ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC in terms of fixing the suspend feature and I am patiently waiting for a solution for the hibernation feature as well.

The Ubuntu forums were filled with people that cared and wanted to help fellow Ubuntu users as well, but there were some nasty people that made the community a little inhospitable from time to time. I am glad to see that has not yet happened to me here on the OpenSUSE community board.

I already feel at home here.

Hey, welcome and me migrated too from Ubuntu (9.04).
If i can make, you can too.

Hi and welcome from me too!

I also migrated from Ubuntu to OpenSuse and I never regret this step.

My last Ubuntu version was 10.04 and my first Susy was 11.3. I had the same experience as you: in OpenSuse nearly everything works out of the box. The hardware support is much better than with Ubuntu and my Suzies (I have two: one 11.3 and one 11.4) are very stable and reliable.

The Opensuse Forum is a nice place and here are a lot of helpful people. They always helped me with my newbie questions. So I am confident that you will make it too!

cheers
Steffen

I see you haven’t met me yet :stuck_out_tongue:

In all seriousness, I only lash out at annoying people :wink:

This community is very patient and they are quick to help out others. I posted a bunch of threads on how to solve various problems that I experience since I installed OpenSUSE 11.4 and switched over to the Tumbleweed repository five days ago. All of them resulted in problems that got solved. I just am so fortunate for this community. Thank you for all of your help thus far and your patience with me.

I migrated from Ubuntu 10.10.

I didn’t find anything wrong with Ubuntu. I still run Ubuntu on a different box.
I just wanted to try something new. openSUSE is awesome & so is Ubuntu.
I wish a bright & prosperous future to both.

Please consider including Winff in the 11.4 repos. I really need it a lot.

Thanks.

Ah, another convert. I just did the same thing. I jumped around between LinuxMint and Debian for a while but thought I would give Os 11.4 a shot. I was getting tired of Gnome and the trackpad on my new laptop wasn’t working right.

Everything’s been going great so far. I’ve found answers to everything without having to ask anyone because of the LOADS of documentation available out there. Everything has been going great so far.

It has been more than two weeks since I installed OpenSUSE 11.4 64 bit and I switched to the Tumbleweed and Packman all of Tumbleweed repositories. There have been some problems here and there which I posted threads and the people here have been helpful in resolving those problems. Right now, I am good to go and there are no problems that I am experiencing. I guess that was my learning curve. I will stick to OpenSUSE until I make the decision to purchase a subscription to SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 SP1 with LTSS from Novell sometime in the future when I purchase a new Hewlett Packard EliteBook mobile workstation with ISV certification.

I still do use Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32 bit within an Oracle Virtualbox virtual machine so that I can do my homework assignments and projects while I pursue my Masters of Science in IT Administration and Security degree program at New Jersey Institute of Technology here in Newark, New Jersey USA. Once I graduate, I will probably upgrade to the newest Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64 bit which I can receive for free from NJIT since I am a graduate student who is actively enrolled in a credit based course in 2012.

I rarely use Microsoft Windows 7 nowadays except when I have to study or do my homework assignments or projects.

Ubuntu is still a good GNU/Linux distribution, but its flaky support for Super Speed USB 3 devices and frequent crashes made me wary. I doubt that I will buy a System76 notebook PC preloaded with Ubuntu.

Thank you.

Hi everyone. Me too migrated from Ubuntu and Fedora. Actually I had tried openSUSE two years before. But wasn’t looked that great for me then. Fortunately I’ve got a openSUSE DVD when I purchased a Linux magazine recently. Just thought to have a glance, but fell in LOVE with openSUSE. Now running a dual-boot laptop with openSUSE and Win7.

Ha, I’ve tired in trying Ubuntu and Fedora back to back, but unsuccessful in getting satisfaction with them. Now I found a right distribution for me.

But I am an InfoSec Professional. Have to use BackTrack a lot. I would be in heaven if I could have a Pentration Testing derivative based on openSUSE. Lets imagine…!!!rotfl!

On 04/15/2011 09:36 AM, factotum218 wrote:
>
> thought I would give Os 11.4 a shot.

great, welcome–GOOD to have you…

but, what do you mean by “Os”?
it is openSUSE :wink:

CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP via openSUSE 11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Thunderbird3.1.8]
Q: Why do you upgrade?
A: Because the Gecko is always greener on the other side!
So said k428 in http://is.gd/Pwc3xq

On 04/15/2011 01:36 PM, nagendra appsec wrote:
>
> But I am an InfoSec Professional. Have to use BackTrack a lot. I would
> be in heaven if I could have a Pentration Testing derivative based on
> openSUSE. Lets imagine…!!!rotfl!
>

far as i hear the ‘real’ crackers use some version of *nix (yes, i know
what the script kiddies use [their game/.doc box]), so why wouldn’t it
make sense to ‘test’ penetrate using some version of *nix??

at least that way you have a pretty high likelihood of keeping your work
machine clean and you don’t have a resident/mole/bug/root kit in the
BackTrack supporting system hiding stuff and otherwise lying to you…

CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP via openSUSE 11.3 + KDE4.5.5 + Thunderbird3.1.8]
Q: Why do you upgrade?
A: Because the Gecko is always greener on the other side!
So said k428 in http://is.gd/Pwc3xq

Kind of interesting that the reason for switching from Ubuntu to Opensuse is “because it works out of the box”. I am now using Opensuse quite a while and also converted some Windows users to it. But every now and then and now again with Opensuse 11.4 these nasty little problems showing up, like the Nvidia thing, or now Skype problems, PulseAudio seems to be a real problem…Not something that makes you look good when you convert people away from Windows and then Skype is broken
Well, I have now tried Ubuntu and Kubuntu Natty and found that those actually worked out of the box. I will now wait for the final release of Natty on 28 April and then decide if I go the other way. Switch from Opensuse to Kubuntu, because it appears to me today there are less problems around. Nevertheless, I liked Opensuse, but the little nasty hickups are killers for former Windows users.Something like Skype just needs to work without fiddling around for hours.

nagendra appsec wrote:
>
> But I am an InfoSec Professional. Have to use BackTrack a lot. I would
> be in heaven if I could have a Pentration Testing derivative based on
> openSUSE. Lets imagine…!!!rotfl!
>
>
Have look at this
http://netsecl.com/

PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.1 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
ION | 3GB Ram

@DenverD

Yes, I am still a hardcore FreeBSD fan. But I need to use Win for documentation part of my job and my organization won’t support FOSS either.
But I need to find a solution for my Dev and Vulnerability Assessments as well. And the OS should be usable by my brother and friends. Due to my interest in FOSS, lot of my classmates and friends have migrated to FOSS from Closed Source. At the time of my study, I was the only person in my cirice to look for installing and configuring a Linux/Unix OS. Lot of my friends requested me to have the installations of Linux on their machines. Even my teachers also requested me to create a College Network with FOSS.

I have been using Linux since my college days. As I mentioned in the previous post I was using Ubuntu and Fedora. I haven’t used openSUSE. But as a Security Professional I need a disribution which helps me to to VA/PT. Lot of Penetration Testers use BT as their primary OS which is built on Ubuntu.

Just now I am imagining a Penetration Testing Distibution built on openSUSE, my favourite OS…:slight_smile: