Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: how to start vpn connecctions in kde

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    vienna
    Posts
    62

    Default how to start vpn connecctions in kde

    i used to start vpn connections with knetworkmanaer in 11.3
    now i migrated to 11.4 and had to install the networkmanager plasmoid instead. the reason is variosu crashes and that knetworkmanager is unable to start 3g connections. however it was able to start vpn.
    now i am using the plasmoid and i can get the 3g started but not the vpn. when i click on the connection nothing happens.
    please enlighten me.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    vienna
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: how to start vpn connecctions in kde

    aha i guess its not possible

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: how to start vpn connecctions in kde

    Quote Originally Posted by soliton View Post
    aha i guess its not possible
    It is certainly possible, but it would help if you provided further information.

    To start with, what is the output of

    rpm -qa | grep -i network

    What steps did you follow to set up the VPN connection?

    When you say "nothing happens", is there anything in the logs? Look in

    /var/log/NetworkManager

    --
    Don

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    vienna
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: how to start vpn connecctions in kde

    here is your output
    glib-networking-2.27.90-5.1.x86_64
    libproxy1-networkmanager-0.4.6-3.9.1.x86_64
    webyast-network-ui-0.2.3-3.1.noarch
    yast2-network-2.20.10-3.1.x86_64
    NetworkManager-pptp-lang-0.8.2-4.1.noarch
    NetworkManager-0.8.2-15.20.1.x86_64
    NetworkManager-pptp-0.8.2-4.1.x86_64
    plasmoid-networkmanagement-0.9.1.60git.1299449104-1.3.x86_64
    webyast-network-ws-0.2.1-3.3.noarch
    NetworkManager-kde4-lang-0.9.1.60git.1299449104-1.3.noarch
    kdenetwork4-filesharing-4.6.1-195.2.x86_64
    NetworkManager-pptp-kde4-0.9.1.60git.1299449104-1.3.x86_64
    NetworkManager-glib-0.8.2-15.20.1.x86_64
    NetworkManager-kde4-libs-0.9.1.60git.1299449104-1.3.x86_64


    i ccreated the vpn connection via knetworkmanager. and it worked fine even in 11.4
    since i did not know about this log to me really nothing happened. can you imagine?

    Apr 6 01:45:27 linux-rysp NetworkManager[1520]: <info> Starting VPN service 'pptp'...
    Apr 6 01:45:27 linux-rysp NetworkManager[1520]: <info> VPN service 'pptp' started (org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.pptp), PID 23842
    Apr 6 01:45:27 linux-rysp NetworkManager[1520]: <info> VPN service 'pptp' appeared; activating connections
    Apr 6 01:45:27 linux-rysp NetworkManager[1520]: <info> VPN plugin state changed: 1
    Apr 6 01:45:27 linux-rysp NetworkManager[1520]: <info> VPN plugin state changed: 3
    Apr 6 01:45:27 linux-rysp NetworkManager[1520]: <info> VPN connection 'lemon42' (Connect) reply received.
    Apr 6 01:45:27 linux-rysp NetworkManager[1520]: <warn> VPN connection 'lemon42' failed to connect: 'No VPN secrets!'.
    Apr 6 01:45:27 linux-rysp NetworkManager[1520]: <warn> error disconnecting VPN: Could not process the request because no VPN connection was active.
    Apr 6 01:45:27 linux-rysp NetworkManager[1520]: <info> Policy set 'TRISOL' (wlan0) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS.
    Apr 6 01:45:32 linux-rysp NetworkManager[1520]: <info> VPN service 'pptp' disappeared

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: how to start vpn connecctions in kde

    soliton wrote:

    > here is your output
    > glib-networking-2.27.90-5.1.x86_64
    > libproxy1-networkmanager-0.4.6-3.9.1.x86_64
    > webyast-network-ui-0.2.3-3.1.noarch
    > yast2-network-2.20.10-3.1.x86_64
    > NetworkManager-pptp-lang-0.8.2-4.1.noarch
    > NetworkManager-0.8.2-15.20.1.x86_64
    > NetworkManager-pptp-0.8.2-4.1.x86_64
    > plasmoid-networkmanagement-0.9.1.60git.1299449104-1.3.x86_64
    > webyast-network-ws-0.2.1-3.3.noarch
    > NetworkManager-kde4-lang-0.9.1.60git.1299449104-1.3.noarch
    > kdenetwork4-filesharing-4.6.1-195.2.x86_64
    > NetworkManager-pptp-kde4-0.9.1.60git.1299449104-1.3.x86_64
    > NetworkManager-glib-0.8.2-15.20.1.x86_64
    > NetworkManager-kde4-libs-0.9.1.60git.1299449104-1.3.x86_64


    Looks OK.

    > i ccreated the vpn connection via knetworkmanager. and it worked fine
    > even in 11.4 since i did not know about this log to me really nothing
    > happened. can you imagine?


    <snip>
    > Apr 6 01:45:27 linux-rysp NetworkManager[1520]: <warn> VPN connection
    > 'lemon42' failed to connect: 'No VPN secrets!'.
    > Apr 6 01:45:27 linux-rysp NetworkManager[1520]: <warn> error
    > disconnecting VPN: Could not process the request because no VPN
    > connection was active.


    Not sure what this means, but it definitely points to a problem.

    I would recommend two things.

    1) Delete and re-setup your vpn connection within the networkmanagement
    plasmoid.
    2) Make sure kwallet is running.

    Hope something here helps.


    --
    Don

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    vienna
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: how to start vpn connecctions in kde

    Quote Originally Posted by drab View Post
    Not sure what this means, but it definitely points to a problem.

    I would recommend two things.

    1) Delete and re-setup your vpn connection within the networkmanagement
    plasmoid.
    2) Make sure kwallet is running.

    Hope something here helps.


    --
    Don
    what a great idea!
    but i am afraid you can not take credit for it all by urself because i allready tried that of course.
    i am just a little pissed to see that my 113 installation worked much better.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,970

    Default Re: how to start vpn connecctions in kde

    Quote Originally Posted by soliton View Post
    what a great idea!
    but i am afraid you can not take credit for it all by urself because i allready tried that of course.
    i am just a little pissed to see that my 113 installation worked much better.
    Well You can always go back did the VPN set up with knetworkmanager work there ? Because it doesn't work for me. I'm using the command line to connect
    Code:
    openvpn --config /home/grzes/client.ovpn
    Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: how to start vpn connecctions in kde

    glistwan wrote:

    >
    > soliton;2320542 Wrote:
    >> what a great idea!
    >> but i am afraid you can not take credit for it all by urself because i
    >> allready tried that of course.
    >> i am just a little pissed to see that my 113 installation worked much
    >> better.

    > Well You can always go back did the VPN set up with knetworkmanager
    > work there ? Because it doesn't work for me. I'm using the command line
    > to connect
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > openvpn --config /home/grzes/client.ovpn
    > --------------------


    Don't know what else to say. openVPN connections here work fine via
    plasmoid-networkmanagement (although that doesn't help you).

    Good luck with your problem.

    --
    Don

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,970

    Default Re: how to start vpn connecctions in kde

    Quote Originally Posted by drab View Post
    glistwan wrote:

    >
    > soliton;2320542 Wrote:
    >> what a great idea!
    >> but i am afraid you can not take credit for it all by urself because i
    >> allready tried that of course.
    >> i am just a little pissed to see that my 113 installation worked much
    >> better.

    > Well You can always go back did the VPN set up with knetworkmanager
    > work there ? Because it doesn't work for me. I'm using the command line
    > to connect
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > openvpn --config /home/grzes/client.ovpn
    > --------------------


    Don't know what else to say. openVPN connections here work fine via
    plasmoid-networkmanagement (although that doesn't help you).

    Good luck with your problem.

    --
    Don
    Wow that's nice to hear So how do You set it up in plasmoid-networkmanagement to do the terminal command I've typed in the process ?

    Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: how to start vpn connecctions in kde

    glistwan wrote:

    >> > Well You can always go back did the VPN set up with

    >> knetworkmanagerwork there ? Because it doesn't work for me.
    >> I'm using the command line to connect
    >> >
    >> > Code:
    >> > --------------------
    >> > openvpn --config /home/grzes/client.ovpn
    >> > --------------------

    >>
    >> Don't know what else to say. openVPN connections here work fine via
    >> plasmoid-networkmanagement (although that doesn't help you).
    >>
    >> Good luck with your problem.
    >>

    > Wow that's nice to hear So how do You set it up in
    > plasmoid-networkmanagement to do the terminal command I've typed in the
    > process ?


    The details would depend on what is in your config file. In plasmoid-
    networkmanagement you would set the various openvpn options that are in the
    config file. Once set up you don't need the config file any longer. I do
    not know if it is even possible in the plasmoid to call it with a config
    file as you have shown.

    I'm certainy not an expert at this stuff, but it actually didn't take that
    long to get working.

    Here is a sample of the config file I had previously been using, which I nno
    longer have to use:

    -------------------------------------------
    client
    dev tun
    proto udp
    remote <aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd> <port #>
    resolv-retry infinite
    nobind
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    comp-lzo
    auth-user-pass
    ca <path/to/certificate/file>
    #cert openvpn.crt

    # Wireless networks often produce a lot
    # of duplicate packets. Set this flag
    # to silence duplicate packet warnings.
    ;mute-replay-warnings

    # Set log file verbosity.
    verb 4
    ------------------------------------------

    If yours looks remotely similar I would guess it should work for you as
    well.

    If you want, let me know and I can be more detailed about the steps I took.

    --
    Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •