Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lost all sounds in fresh 11.4 64bit openSuSE install - need help

Default lost all sounds in fresh 11.4 64bit openSuSE install - need help

I have a clean (formatted) installation of 11.4 64bit openSuSE. I noticed I could play Audio CDs (the app shows movement), but with no sound. A bit more testing showed the same for DVDs (movies) and internet media (YouTube). I have been doing a lot of forum reading over the past 2 days, but have found nothing that looks like an answer.

A similar post which goes into some detail is the sound of silence .

Here is the link to the alsa-info I ran.

Another possible fix was to remove pulse audio and revert to esound here. That sounds like a bit drastic, so I haven't tried that yet. Any thoughts of if that would help? It wanted to remove multiple other apps as well.

I did try a couple of things I found in some posts and now the music player, banshee shows no movement. And smplayer errored out with the following log:

Code:
    /usr/bin/mplayer -noquiet -nofs -nomouseinput -sub-fuzziness 1 -identify -slave -vo xv -ao alsa -nokeepaspect -framedrop -autosync 100 -nodr -double -input nodefault-bindings:conf=/dev/null -stop-xscreensaver -wid 56623448 -monitorpixelaspect 1 -ass -embeddedfonts -ass-line-spacing 0 -ass-font-scale 1 -ass-styles /home/dad/.config/smplayer/styles.ass -fontconfig -font Arial -subfont-autoscale 0 -subfont-osd-scale 20 -subfont-text-scale 20 -subcp ISO-8859-1 -subpos 100 -volume 23 -dvd-device /dev/dvd -dvdangle 1 -nocache -osdlevel 0 -vf-add screenshot -slices -channels 2 -af scaletempo,equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 dvd://1

Option ,alsa needs a parameter at line 77
    Everything worked in 11.3. I thought it may have been the internal soundcard so I installed another. There are two set in the system now, but neither is producing sound.

This reminiscent of sound problems of quite a few versions back. I am sure there is a fix, I just need help from the experts.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks - Idee

thanks for any help

Blog Entries

Default Re: lost all sounds in fresh 11.4 64bit openSuSE install - need help

Start by going into the Yast sound settings, and turn every possible volume setting up to high.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Blog Entries

Or as su -

rcalsasound restart
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Do you get sound from any apps ?

I note a Microstar MS-7094 running a 64-bit openSUSE-11.4 with the 2.6.37.1-1.2-default kernel with the 1.0.23 (driver)/1.0.24 (utilities) alsa version. Your hardware has two sound devices? an Aureal Vortex au8830 (with SigmaTel STAC9708) and a VIA8237 with ALC655 hardware audio codec(s).

Which device are you trying to use ?

Card 0 (the Aureal Vortex au8830 (with SigmaTel STAC9708) ) has Master volume is only at 61% and PCM at 74%. Did you try to move those levels up higher?

Card 1 (the VIA8237 with ALC655) has Master volume at 65% and PCM at 74%. Did you try to move those levels up higher.

I found what helped me with pulse when using multiple audio devices is to install 'pavucontrol' and run 'pavucontrol' and then select the appropriate sound device for each application in that gui.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Start by going into the Yast sound settings, and turn every possible volume setting up to high.
    I turned up all settings to 75 via the Pulse Audio controller. Still no sound. Where are the YaST sound settings?

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Or as su -

rcalsasound restart
    Done, but no change.

Code:
    rcalsasound restart
    Shutting down sound driver                                          done
    Starting sound driver:  au8830 via82xx                              done
    At the beginning I had system sounds, just no CD,DVD or multimedia. At this point the system sounds don't work. From YaST Sound tool, Other/Play Test Sounds does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Do you get sound from any apps ?

I note a Microstar MS-7094 running a 64-bit openSUSE-11.4 with the 2.6.37.1-1.2-default kernel with the 1.0.23 (driver)/1.0.24 (utilities) alsa version. Your hardware has two sound devices? an Aureal Vortex au8830 (with SigmaTel STAC9708) and a VIA8237 with ALC655 hardware audio codec(s).

Which device are you trying to use ?

Card 0 (the Aureal Vortex au8830 (with SigmaTel STAC9708) ) has Master volume is only at 61% and PCM at 74%. Did you try to move those levels up higher?

Card 1 (the VIA8237 with ALC655) has Master volume at 65% and PCM at 74%. Did you try to move those levels up higher.

I found what helped me with pulse when using multiple audio devices is to install 'pavucontrol' and run 'pavucontrol' and then select the appropriate sound device for each application in that gui.
    I originally was using the onboard Via device. It had been working with 11.3 and prior releases. I thought it may have a problem so I added the Aureal card. I will disable the VIa in the bios and try to use the Aureal. If you would recommend otherwise, please let me know.

I have been using the pavucontrol, but not from terminal. When I ran it from terminal, the following debug messages occurred when I made any changes.

Code:
    ~> pavucontrol
    ** (pavucontrol:4162): DEBUG: Ignoring sink-input due to it being designated as an event and thus handled by the Event widget

I just reran the alsa-info here.

Blog Entries

But did you set the new device as Primary (sound card 0) in Yast > Sound ?
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Yes, it is set at the primary, via YaST. I also found the Volume settings under Other. I have everything raised to 75.

In YaST I moved the primary back to the Via, and then to the Aureal again, restarted the sequencer then exited. I then ran rcalsasound restart. Reopened YaST Sound to Play Test and walla, we have music!

I just put in a DVD movie, and there is sound via VLC. It played with sound for about a minute, but just cut out again.

I opened the same DVD via SMPlayer and it give the following error message:

Code:
    /usr/bin/mplayer -noquiet -nofs -nomouseinput -sub-fuzziness 1 -identify -slave -vo xv -ao alsa -nokeepaspect -framedrop -autosync 100 -nodr -double -input nodefault-bindings:conf=/dev/null -stop-xscreensaver -wid 31457624 -monitorpixelaspect 1 -ass -embeddedfonts -ass-line-spacing 0 -ass-font-scale 1 -ass-styles /home/dad/.config/smplayer/styles.ass -fontconfig -font Arial -subfont-autoscale 0 -subfont-osd-scale 20 -subfont-text-scale 20 -subcp ISO-8859-1 -subpos 100 -volume 23 -dvd-device /dev/dvd -dvdangle 1 -nocache -osdlevel 0 -vf-add screenshot -slices -channels 2 -af scaletempo,equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 dvd://1

Option ,alsa needs a parameter at line 77
    next?

Blog Entries

This will fix mplayer
    Mplayer Error
    Tumbleweed_KDE

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast