Can't run executable files

I’ve always been able to run my shell scripts and other executable files using dot slash, ie: ./runfile.sh

After doing a fresh 11.4 install, I cannot run my scripts. Even if I ‘source’ the file, it won’t run. Why?

This is an example of the files that will no longer run. Permissions look normal to me, but there is an * at the end of the filename. I think that just means it’s executable, but I’ve never seen it on my systems before.

-rwxrwxr--  1 udaman users  25989559 Feb  4  2010 GoogleEarthLinux.bin*
-rwxrwxr--  1 udaman users  42905128 Aug 28  2010 NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-256.53.run*
-rwxrwxr--  1 udaman users  47946725 Oct 22 13:32 NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.12.run*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 udaman users 949267761 Sep 29 12:30 PenumbraCollection-1.1.sh*
-rwxrwxr--  1 udaman users   7535566 Feb  8  2010 RealPlayer11GOLD.bin*

I really would like to install my Penumbra games…LOL

When I tried the RealPlayer binary I got this message:

linux-nvsk:/Data/Download/Software # source RealPlayer11GOLD.bin 
bash: source: RealPlayer11GOLD.bin: cannot execute binary file

Any idea why this is happening? Thank you.

what shell are you using (‘source’ implies csh to me, but you could be using something else)? If you are using bash, try ‘bash -x <script>’ and post the output, it might give some more information as to why things are failing.

The only time I’ve seen something like this is where the executable is for the wrong platform (that is, a Solaris binary trying to run on a Linux platform), the permissions are wrong, or you are trying to run a 64-bit binary on a 32-bit system. If you had a library missing or your $DISPLAY wasn’t set then it’s likely you would get an error message.

You could also try running the command “file <filename>” and seeing what is output (or posting the results of that here).

the errors might help
~> ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin
what is the error

you might need to re add the exe tag

su 
cd /to/the/location/of/the/file
chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin
-- then --
./GoogleEarthLinux.bin
-- or --
sh ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

On 2011-03-30 00:36, udaman wrote:
>
> I’ve always been able to run my shell scripts and other executable files
> using dot slash, ie: ./runfile.sh
>
> After doing a fresh 11.4 install, I cannot run my scripts. Even if I
> ‘source’ the file, it won’t run. Why?

Because your home is mounted “noexec”.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Thanks for your reply, it’s given me some ideas to try.

I tried ‘bash -x’ and that worked to run my Penumbra shell script to install the game. However when I try to start the game, either from the KDE menu, or from the command line, it won’t start. I think your suggestion about not having the 32 bit libraries is a strong possibility.

I had all those programs running on my 11.3 Suse installation, so I know they’re compatible with the platform.

JohnVV, I installed google earth from an rpm and not from that binary file, and it works fine. And I tried re-adding the x, and it doesn’t make a difference.

robin_listas, none of my partitions are mounted noexec, but thanks anyway.

I’ll work on this more when I have some time. All my other apps are working fine from the 11.4 install, so I’m not in a rush to get it fixed. I just have never seen this problem before and I’ve been running some form of Unix/Linux for more than twenty years. I’ll bet it’s a 32 bit library problem.

I would recommend NOT using that “GoogleEarthLinux.bin” file. Google had a bug with that binary running on a 64-bit OS. That’s why they switched to providing the newer rpm version.

Cheers!

Romanator

I’m sure the Nvidia… run have to be run in non-X sessions. I usually init 3 an run them as superuser. Sometimes its a simple path question also, ie,
sh /home/udaman/PenumbraCollection-1.1.sh

Since you got something installed, but it won’t execute, you might also look at the .xsession-errors file ($HOME/.xsession-errors) and see if there is anything in there that might give a reason as to why it’s not executing after you got it installed…

It turns out my partitions were mounted “noexec”. I checked /etc/fstab, and did not see the “noexec” tag, so I assumed it was mounted “exec”. Then I read the manpage, the “users” tag includes “noexec” within it, so it wasn’t obvious to me.

I checked the mount with mount command and I could see the “noexec” tag in the output.

Problem solved. Thanks for your help, all.

On 2011-04-01 23:08, udaman wrote:

> It turns out my partitions were mounted “noexec”. I checked
> /etc/fstab, and did not see the “noexec” tag, so I assumed it was
> mounted “exec”. Then I read the manpage, the “users” tag includes
> “noexec” within it, so it wasn’t obvious to me.
>
> I checked the mount with mount command and I could see the “noexec” tag
> in the output.

I know, it is the new default.

> Problem solved. Thanks for your help, all.

Good :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Hi, I see the noexec tag with the group of my user.
How you did resolve this issue?

On 05/30/2013 07:26 PM, jesfre wrote:
> Hi, I see the noexec tag with the group of my user.
> How you did resolve this issue?

the OP in this thread was running openSUSE 11.4, are you also? i ask
because the answer might be different with later version.

please tell us the version and desktop environment/version (if any)
you are running and please show us the terminal output and input,
as well as the beginning prompt and exit prompt, from

cat /etc/fstab

copy/paste the in/output back to this thread using the instructions
here: http://goo.gl/i3wnr

dd

On 2013-05-30 19:26, jesfre wrote:
> Hi, I see the noexec tag with the group of my user.
> How you did resolve this issue?

Obviously, he edited fstab and added the option.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)