Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Win7 ate my SUSE after system restore :'(

Angry Win7 ate my SUSE after system restore :'(

Hardware issue forced me to restore Win7. Installed EasyBCD to boot into openSUSE, no work. Boot puppy, it shows space where SUSE should be as unallocated space. I think Puppy doesn't see ext4 though. Can't boot live KDE off USB for some reason, though I originally installed from that exact medium. Tried ACPI=off and nomodeset. Error says trouble mounting clic filesystem, mounted as read only. Something like that. Then reboot 120secs, which it never actually does. I don't want to reinstall SUSE if I don't have to.

Default Re: Win7 ate my SUSE after system restore :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowolf7 View Post
    Hardware issue forced me to restore Win7. Installed EasyBCD to boot into openSUSE, no work. Boot puppy, it shows space where SUSE should be as unallocated space. I think Puppy doesn't see ext4 though. Can't boot live KDE off USB for some reason, though I originally installed from that exact medium. Tried ACPI=off and nomodeset. Error says trouble mounting clic filesystem, mounted as read only. Something like that. Then reboot 120secs, which it never actually does. I don't want to reinstall SUSE if I don't have to.
    You may try one of the usual SuSE installation CD's, e. g. the one for network-based installation (because it is small): Index of /distribution/11.4/iso
    It offers - if it can recognise - to boot into an already installed system. If not, use the emergency shell to call "fdisk /dev/sda" and then 'p' for the partition table. Does the output look familiar? Do you agree with the partition sizes? If not, then your SuSE partition is probably destroyed.

I have tried booting from live USB (its a netbook). It finds and "restores" the partition, then tries to use the journaling, which causes it to hang. I need to somehow tell it to ignore the partition and not use the journaling so it can boot completely, then I think it can be fixed. **** windows. Puppy can't do it since it has no support ffor ext4, only ext3.

Do I understand you correctly: You have a live system which unfortunately tries to mount all hard disk partitions during boot-up. Because the file system ext4 is unsupported, the mount (with journal replay) of the SuSE partition makes your live system hang.

Then you should get another live system or what I said above - or find in its documentation a boot parameter that prevents HD partitions from being mounted. But the latter wouldn't be very useful because you can't do anything unless you mount them.

Installed EasyBCD to boot into openSUSE, no work
    What does not work about it ? Any error messages ? Does it give a menu ? more info on its failure.

Why don't you reinstall Grub? That will fix the problem.

See below:
    http://en.opensuse.org/All_About_Grub

Remember to have fun!

Romanator
    My Linux Box
    openSUSE 52.2 - Plasma 5.18.9
    Tumbleweed Plasma 5.22
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti

The bootloader is NOT the issue. Rather the live USB attempts to use the journaling of the damaged file system and will never boot. NEVER. As far as I know, there is no documentation for 11.4. Now other attempts to repair have destroyed the partition more completely, but for some ****able reason LiveUSB still hangs trying to use internal journaling. The more I fiddle with openSUSE, the less I understand why anybody bothers.

Just my two cents since all I've gathered is that Windows wiped the drive and you're trying to boot Live.
    If the system image you used to rescue Windows was made *prior* to you previous Linux installation, the partition was deleted. The Windows rescue returns the disc to the exact state it was, including all partition tables and paritions.
    Any particular reason you're positive it's not the bootloader?
    Vaio F11: i7-720QM 8GB RAM Nvidia GT 330m
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit | openSuse 11.4 64 bit | Arch Linux 64 bit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowolf7 View Post
    The bootloader is NOT the issue. Rather the live USB attempts to use the journaling of the damaged file system and will never boot. NEVER. As far as I know, there is no documentation for 11.4. Now other attempts to repair have destroyed the partition more completely, but for some ****able reason LiveUSB still hangs trying to use internal journaling. The more I fiddle with openSUSE, the less I understand why anybody bothers.
    Hang on
    Win7 breaks your SUSE install and you blame SUSE?

Parted Magic > Partition Manager >
    Run a check on the Linux partitions

BUT
    Now other attempts to repair have destroyed the partition more completely
    Whatever this means? Sounds potentially self inflicted.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Don't blame openSUSE. This was self inflicted..

The system restore will remove all references from the drive. This would be as if openSUSE was never installed. That's what Windows does - wipes all references of another OS.
    My Linux Box
    openSUSE 52.2 - Plasma 5.18.9
    Tumbleweed Plasma 5.22
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast