Thread: HOPELESSLY small fonts after nvidia install

Default HOPELESSLY small fonts after nvidia install

I've been googling around, and it seems this is a very common issue (that someone will install the nvidia drivers only to have their desktop ravaged by unreadably small fonts)
    I've tried the obvious fixes, changing font sizes from the desktop configuration menu, "change all fonts" etc. I've tried the .gtkrc-2.0 file in the home directory trick (which did nothing) and a few other tricks I read about online, none of them work...

Has anyone else run up against this in 11.4? How is this such a common issue? why does it mess with your fonts...at all? How do I undo the damage this driver does?

Blog Entries

Default Re: HOPELESSLY small fonts after nvidia install

What does the following command return?

Code:
    xdpyinfo | grep "dots per inch"
    Do you have a working /etc/X11/xorg.conf associated with your nvidia driver configuration? I'm not sure, but it might possible to turn off the DPI auto-detection and set it manually with

Code:
    Option   "UseEdidDpi" "false"
    Code:
    Option         "DPI" "96 x 96"
    in the 'Monitor' section.

Two threads on this topic that may be helpful:

Font size adjustment

Advice on font size

that is a very common issue with KDE
    now the file".gtkrc-2.0"
    is for gnome
    so is Gnome your default desktop?

I'll give these a shot later - right after I posted this I totally botched my linux install, so..I'll be reinstalling that once I get home from work. The trick for me is that I'm trying to get the latest possible kernel installed (2.6.38.1 ?) and then install the nvidia driver, and it doesn't work to my favor that I ...borderline have no idea what I'm doing in this environment.(still kinda new to linux, not new to unix) SO, this is fun. It'd help things along if someone could post a "openSuse kernel update guide for morons" type thing. I'll give these a shot when I get home.

The question still remains though, why is it so common that the nvidia driver does this across so many linux distros? Did someone at nvidia think "well...it's important to us that the driver be highly available and provide excellent opengl support, also we have to force the user to go blind while we pour sugar in their gas tank." I mean it really must have taken some elbow grease to make the driver, for so many years, mess up so many versions of linux. It's not even just the debian flavored ones or the slackware flavored ones, everyone is kinda screwed.

On 03/29/2011 09:06 AM, VolumetricSteve wrote:
    > The question still remains though, why is it so common that the nvidia
    > driver does this across so many linux distros? Did someone at nvidia
    > think "well...it's important to us that the driver be highly available
    > and provide excellent opengl support, also we have to force the user to
    > go blind while we pour sugar in their gas tank." I mean it really must
    > have taken some elbow grease to make the driver, for so many years, mess
    > up so many versions of linux. It's not even just the debian flavored
    > ones or the slackware flavored ones, everyone is kinda screwed.

I'm wondering why you are asking the open-source community about the intentions
    of the people that write a CLOSED-source driver. We have no idea, and work very
    hard to drive them out of business.

more power to ya, I'm asking because...someone might know, for all I know a rogue...kind-hearted nvidia developer could be lurking here. Or someone might have a business perspective, like maybe there's some value to making the linux drivers act weird, maybe it'll drive more business back to the windows side which somehow gets them more money...I have no idea how that would work...but someone might know one way or the other? I wasn't expressly asking the open-source community, I was asking openly if anyone knew. I suppose I could take it to the nvidia forums...and get yelled at for speaking ill of nvidia on their own turf. Either way I feel this aspect of the issue will remain unanswered. It really doesn't matter, as long as I can read my fonts and use opengl, I'm not to worried about it.

why is it so common that the nvidia driver does this across so many linux distros?
    it is not a distro issue
    it is a very well known bug with KDE4 and the nvidia driver

the DPI needs to be set in the xorg.conf ( after one is made)
    there is no sorg.conf file by default .You need to run "nvidia-xconfig"
    to make one .Then edit it by hand .

Cool! Now I'm getting somewhere, now my problem is I have to choose between my desire for automated shutdown, or working OpenGL. Kernel 2.6.38 fixes my shutdown problem, but it breaks compatibility with the latest nvidia drivers that I'm aware of. Not super psyched but I guess I'll stick with 2.6.37 and have OpenGL working. (any ideas on that?)