suse 11.4 partition error 1007 install

Hi,
Anyone Help please!
Been happy with 10.3 and 11.3 almost ready to go over to Ubuntu due to partitioning bug in 11.4. Getting error 1007 on first partition written to disc. Abort, go to live CD keeps getting size of swap file wrong should be 2.00 GB, usually it is 2.01 GB. Deleted parts, tried to create using live CD 11.4. Same result.
Can I create partitions first in 11.3 live CD then install 11.4 without formating. Will this work? Also issue with waening about Grub and disc size over 125 GB. New laptop Acer Aspire, will BIOS be ok. Dont want to lose win7 as OEM.

Hi,
Anyone Help please!
Been happy with 10.3 and 11.3 almost ready to go over to Ubuntu due to partitioning bug in 11.4. Getting error 1007 on first partition written to disc. Abort, go to live CD keeps getting size of swap file wrong should be 2.00 GB, usually it is 2.01 GB. Deleted parts, tried to create using live CD 11.4. Same result.
Can I create partitions first in 11.3 live CD then install 11.4 without formating. Will this work? Also issue with waening about Grub and disc size over 125 GB. New laptop Acer Aspire, will BIOS be ok. Dont want to lose win7 as OEM.
Hello zaretskaya and welcome to the openSUSE forums. I am sorry to hear you are having a problem install openSUSE 11.4.

You can select custom partitioning and install openSUSE to existing partitions and elect to not format them. If they are not really blank, your installation may not work as you had hoped. The error message of going over 125 GB is normally not a problem if you have a computer of recent manufacture. Here is some more info on hard disk partitions:

Here is a partitioning write up I made for someone else that includes info on the creation of an secondary or external booting hard drive. It is early morning here and so I just posted a pre-made blurb. Read through it and ask more questions with this info on mind.

Each hard drive can have up to four PRIMARY partitions, any of which could be marked active and bootable. No matter what you might hear, only one of the first four primary partitions can be booted from. That means you can boot from Primary partitions 1, 2, 3 or 4 and that is all. In order to boot openSUSE, you must load openSUSE and the grub boot loader into one of the first four partitions. Or, your second choice is to load the grub boot loader into the MBR (Master Boot Record) at the start of the disk. The MBR can be blank, like a new disk, it can contain a Windows partition booting code or generic booting code to boot the active partition 1, 2, 3, or 4. Or, as stated before, it can contain the grub boot loader. Why load grub into the MBR then? You do this so that you can “boot” openSUSE from a logical partition, numbered 5 or higher, which is not normally possible. In order to have more than four partitions, one of them (and only one can be assigned as extended) must be a extended partition. It is called an Extended Primary Partition, a container partition, it can be any one of the first four and it can contain one or more logical partitions within. Anytime you see partition numbers 5, 6 or higher for instance, they can only occur inside of the one and only Extended Primary partition you could have.

What does openSUSE want as far as partitions? It needs at minimum a SWAP partition and a “/” partition where all of your software is loaded. Further, it is recommended you create a separate /home partition, which makes it easier to upgrade or reload openSUSE without losing all of your settings. So, that is three more partitions you must add to what you have now. I always suggest that you do not load grub into the MBR, but rather into the openSUSE “/” root primary partition which means a primary number of 1, 2, 3 or 4. If number one is used, then that will be out. You will mark the openSUSE partition as active for booting and finally you must load generic booting code into the MBR so that it will boot the openSUSE partition. I suggest a partition like this:

1. /dev/sda, Load MBR with generic booting code
  2. /dev/sda1, Primary NTFS Partition for Windows
  3. /dev/sda2, Primary SWAP (4 GB)
  4. /dev/sda3, Primary EXT4 “/” openSUSE Partition Marked Active for booting (40-80 GB)
  5. /dev/sda4, Primary EXT4 “/home” Your main home directory (Rest of the disk)

OR, if no Windows:

1. /dev/sda, Load MBR with generic booting code
  2. /dev/sda1, Primary SWAP (4 GB)
  3. /dev/sda2, Primary EXT4 “/” openSUSE Partition Marked Active for booting (40-80 GB)
  4. /dev/sda3, Primary EXT4 “/home” Your main home directory (Rest of the disk)

Thank You,

As jdmcdaniel3 writes about partitions.   

My guess is you don’t have any free space or a unallocated partition to install. Does this laptop have an unallocated partition?
If your intention is to use the entire disk for openSUSE 11.4 then you should delete the a partition to create an unallocated partition.
If you have Windows or something on partition 1 and all other partitions are used, then you need to delete one or more of those partitions, or use Gparted LIveCD to create an unallocated
partition.
I recommend Gparted LiveCD for resizing partitions (and all partition related) without destroying the data on the partitions.
GPARTED DOCUMENTATION - GENERALITIES
Resize a partition to create an unallocated partition for you to install openSUSE.
Generally, / (root) 20+Gb, /SWAP 1-2Gb, /home remaining space if you’ve already allocated a separate partition for /home from 10.3, 11.3 do not format it. Edit your partition or whatever it states to bypass automatic partitioning.

#2 I strongly recommend that you use the DVD version for your install instead of openSUSE LiveCD for your install. In the past I had problems after clean installs using the LiveCD for the install. Download the DVD overnite if you have a slow network.

Hi,
Thanks very much James in Texas for the very useful info on partitions and tararpharazon’s Avatar
Tararpharazon for your advice.
I noted down the partitioning scheme I tried to use, if the extended partition is the 4th one isn’t that ok? Where will Suse put the grub?:
What I tried to do:
/dev/sda1 13 GB NTFS PS service, /dev/sda2 100 MB NTFS system reserved, /dev/sda3 176.86 NTFS windows, /dev/sda4 275.80 GB Extended, /dev/sda5 2.00 GB swap, /dev/sda6 45 GB ext4 mount point /, /dev/sda7 208.8 GB ext4 mount point /home, /dev/sda8 the remaining space 20 GB FAT mount point /trans. The failure error 1007 occurs after it has written the swap, it should be 2.00 GB.
When I go to live CD 11.4 in expert partitioning, you see the win partitions, /dev/sda4 and /dev/sda5 swap 2.01 which is the wrong size. At this point, I deleted sda5 and tried to create it again same error 1007 and wrong size. Tried couple of times. My idea is to partition and format in liveCD opensuse 11.3, exit then go to opensuse 11.4 KDE 64 bit and install without formatting. Is that ok? Thanks in advance.

Yes you can pre-partition but you will need to go to expert mode to assign the partition mount points and formating when installing.

I’d try it again the way you planned and allow the 2.01Gb size for swap. Partition software tries to use the most efficient sizes, so, you might get some a bit larger or smalller. I think they use GiB which = 1000 bytes and not Gb which = 1024 bytes, which also accounts for size discrepancies.

FTR, swap is less important these days than before. After installation, in a terminal session you can run top, free -lt or your GUI desktop “System Monitor” to see how much swap file is used by your system. I assume that your /home contains data and you won’t format it? If it is new or you have to format all of your Linux partitions then why not put the swap file as the last partition?

Not applicable here but for pasting large output listings, you can paste using
SUSE Paste
or
[foo] pasted output [/foo] replacing the word “foo” with the word “code”.

On 2011-03-29 23:36, tararpharazon wrote:
> I think they use GiB
> which = 1000 bytes and not Gb which = 1024 bytes, which also accounts
> for size discrepancies.

The other way round. GiB is 1024, GB is 1000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1541
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

@Tararpharazon Is it advisable to use susepaste in a forum? I thought that if someone came to this thread in the future, the paste link will be a dead link, unless the OP explicitly selects ‘never expire’ on the susepaste site. Better surely to use the [foocode] My large output list [/foocode] or from the forum menu, selecting the output listing and pressing the # button?

unless the OP explicitly selects ‘never expire’ on the susepaste site.
But wakou, you can specify never to expire, just as you say. Here is an Example for mmcheck: SUSE Paste which seems to work just fine.

Thank You,

Yes, I think that’s why they created it. As jdmcdaniel3 writes about susepaste.org I admit to using only 2-3 years, because that sounds like several releases to obsolete.

[foo] pasted output [/foo] seems permanent and especially good for Usenet posters. In Usenet they only see Code: pasted output as a quote. That’s why I use the [foo] pasted output [/foo] replace the word “foo” with the word “code” explanation.

I assume its easier for Usenet users subscribed to many Usenet groups, to download new messages for offline reading and replies with their newsreaders. That’s the way I did it for awhile.