Thread: pacemaker or python dependency problem with minimal opensuse 11.4

Question pacemaker or python dependency problem with minimal opensuse 11.4

I have created a kvm with a minimal installation of opensuse 1.4.
    The intention was to have a lean basis for cluster tests with pacemaker.
    But when I try to install pacemaker on top of the minimal pattern, it says the python dependency cannot be fulfilled. Why?

Code:
    jobv1:~ # zypper install pacemaker
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: pacemaker-1.1.5-3.2.x86_64 requires /usr/bin/python, but this requirement cannot be provided
      uninstallable providers: python-base-2.7-8.4.x86_64[openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0]
                       python-base-2.7-8.4.i586[repo-oss]
                       python-base-2.7-8.4.x86_64[repo-oss]
     Solution 1: deinstallation of patterns-openSUSE-minimal_base-11.4-6.9.1.x86_64
     Solution 2: do not install pacemaker-1.1.5-3.2.x86_64
     Solution 3: break pacemaker by ignoring some of its dependencies
    or putting it this way: why does python conflict with minimal opensuse?

Code:
    jobv1:~ # zypper install python-base
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: patterns-openSUSE-minimal_base-11.4-6.9.1.x86_64 conflicts with python-base provided by python-base-2.7-8.4.x86_64
     Solution 1: deinstallation of patterns-openSUSE-minimal_base-11.4-6.9.1.x86_64
     Solution 2: do not install python-base-2.7-8.4.x86_64
    What can I do to install pacemaker?

Default Re: pacemaker or python dependency problem with minimal opensuse 11.4

Looks like x86_64 is your platform and installation packages.
    Was your minimal install an upgrade or update of openSUSE?
    Python 2.7 is installed with 11.4 and pacemaker 1.1.5-3-2 available from the OSS repo.

Check your repository build sequence
    Code:
    zypper  lr  -pd
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

Thanks for the reply.

It was a fresh install on a x64 kvm (new image file, host is a x64 machine running opensuse 11.4, too).
    I did not fiddle with the repos at that point, but cant check the zypper command at the moment.

After I figured out how to use snapshots, I just went ahead and deinstalled the minimal pattern.
    That worked with no problems so far. Pacemaker seems to be running just fine.

So now I just wonder why a meta package conflicts with some software. Is that intentional? I mean, you could argue that a system where python is installed is no longer minimal, but I dont think that is correct.

Here it is...

Code:
    jobv1:~ # zypper  lr  -pd
    # | Alias                                     | Name                                      | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                              | Service
    --+-------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | Aktualisierungen-fr-openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | Aktualisierungen fr openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0 | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.4/                        |        
    2 | openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0                      | openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0                      | Yes     | No      |   99     | yast2  | cd:///?devices=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-QEMU_DVD-ROM_QM00003,/dev/sr0 |        
    3 | repo-debug                                | openSUSE-11.4-Debug                       | No      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/11.4/repo/oss/   |        
    4 | repo-debug-update                         | openSUSE-11.4-Update-Debug                | No      | Yes     |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/11.4/                  |        
    5 | repo-non-oss                              | openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss                     | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4/repo/non-oss/     |        
    6 | repo-oss                                  | openSUSE-11.4-Oss                         | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4/repo/oss/         |        
    7 | repo-source                               | openSUSE-11.4-Source                      | No      | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/11.4/repo/oss/  |

Blog Entries

Followup Question on this Topic:

Current System: openSUSE 12.2 minimal install (Text only Server)

Installing a package has a "python-Pastescript" dependency which apparently conflicts with the pattern "patterns-openSUSE-minimal_base-conflicts-12.2-5.5.1.x86_64"

Should a pattern be "deinstalled" is only the meta-description of the Pattern de-installed or are any of the packages specified in the pattern affected (removed) as well?

I see the OP in this thread seems to have de-installed the pattern without adverse effects, am asking about specifically this pattern which <may> be a special case restrictive pattern, but what about other patterns as well? So, for example if after installing a LAMP pattern, then unchecking in YAST would all the LAMP components disappear?

Or, maybe there is a difference between "deinstallation" of a pattern vs "unstall by use of pattern?"

TIA,
    TSU