Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Flash is jerking, replay is garbage

  1. #1

    Default Flash is jerking, replay is garbage

    I installed 11.3 with KDE on my wife's computer a couple of months ago, and I am slowly trying to fix the holes in the installation. Things that she "can't live without". Now I am working on flash. Youtube and other flash videos in the browser are all jerky, with very poor playback quality as a result. The playback skips forward a couple seconds, then pauses.

    This appears to be exactly like a bandwidth issue - but it is not. Bandwidth is fine, and allowing the vid to download completely before playing makes no difference.

    I uninstalled all flash stuff, then reinstalled from a standard repo selection that included packman. Pretty much oldcpu's recommended list of repos. No change.

    I've spent hours searching and reading threads, trying to find a gold nugget. One said delete ~/.macromedia and ~/.adobe. Did that. No change.

    Update everything. No change.
    Reboot. No change.

    Somebody mentioned he was having a Firefox specific issue with similar symptoms. I try Chrome. No change.

    Some ppl seem to connect flash misbehavior with vid driver issues. This box has an ATI onboard gpu - ATI Radeon Xpress 200. So I spend some time looking through some threads I turned up regarding updating that - but this leads me to more searching and no answers. I don't know how to tell what driver I have installed for ATI, I don't know how to find the kernel config file to see if ATI has been built in, and more.

    And, most of all, I still don't know what to do to fix this flash business. For all I know, the ATI driver business is a dead end.

    Thoughts, suggestions, constructive comments will be appreciated. Some guidance or illumination in this wilderness.

    Thank you;
    spokesinger
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

    Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Flash is jerking, replay is garbage

    Well your video driver can have an effect as well as your Multimedia setup. I suggest you check out the latter using my bash script file called mmcheck. You can get it here:

    MMCHECK - Check Your Multimedia in 10 Steps - Script File, as proposed by RedDwarf

    Check out message #69 for version 2.30 of mmcheck.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    3,234

    Default Re: Flash is jerking, replay is garbage

    FWIW My wife's computer died, I put and older one for her - running oS 11.0/KDE3.5 with a celeron+Xpress 200 onboad graphics running the ATI proprietary (fglrx) driver. Low resolution Flash is viewable but not fluid, like a 24 FPS movie played at 12 FPS. Higher resolution flash videos aren't even worth mentioning...

    As you are running KDE 4.x, did you try disabling 3D effects (ALT+SHIFT+F12)?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Earl Shilton UK
    Posts
    298

    Default Re: Flash is jerking, replay is garbage

    I have an oldish dell with a turion x2 + xpress 200M onboard. It plays flash with no problems (in 11.0 and 11.4 - I skipped out on 11.3 because 11.2 was truly awful with my video card) with desktop effects enabled or disabled in kde4.

    I know its not much help, but I don't think it is the graphics chip. My suggestion would be to try 11.4 in a live cd. I'm unsure on this but I think the open source ati driver is much improved now (do not use fglrx, it won't work with newer distro versions). I know it went through a bad patch earlier on but it seems good now.
    Happily using Linux since 1998
    Share & Enjoy

  5. #5

    Default Re: Flash is jerking, replay is garbage

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Well your video driver can have an effect as well as your Multimedia setup. I suggest you check out the latter using my bash script file called mmcheck. You can get it here:

    MMCHECK - Check Your Multimedia in 10 Steps - Script File, as proposed by RedDwarf

    Check out message #69 for version 2.30 of mmcheck.

    Thank You,
    MMCHECK Is GREAT! It is superb! It just works! I love it, but I already used it, and it fixed other issues, but not this one.

    Well - if it is a vid (ATI) driver issue, I am SO in the dark as to where to go. I went to oldcpu's posts, and there are more warnings and conditionals than I can shake a stick at. I went to the ATI site - they have some "end user" documentation that is supposed to be simple and straightforward - but they lost me by step 3. Unless somebody has an "aha" idea, I guess I will have to break down and spend the time at the keyboard trying to trace the vid biz. Agh, gag me.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

    Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

  6. #6

    Default Re: Flash is jerking, replay is garbage

    Quote Originally Posted by weighty_foe View Post
    I have an oldish dell with a turion x2 + xpress 200M onboard. It plays flash with no problems (in 11.0 and 11.4 - I skipped out on 11.3 because 11.2 was truly awful with my video card) with desktop effects enabled or disabled in kde4.

    I know its not much help, but I don't think it is the graphics chip. My suggestion would be to try 11.4 in a live cd. I'm unsure on this but I think the open source ati driver is much improved now (do not use fglrx, it won't work with newer distro versions). I know it went through a bad patch earlier on but it seems good now.
    Actually, this is a (blessed - ) good idea. Try the liveCD. OLD advice, but sure. I will do so. I've been happy enough because I have 11.2 running wonderfully on another box - one of my main desktop units, so I wasn't thinking along this line. Doing this is easy, and fairly painless. Not too much time is involved, and a minimal amount of energy expended. Excellent!

    Thank you! Even if this does not work, it is worth the try.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

    Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

  7. #7

    Default Re: Flash is jerking, replay is garbage

    Quote Originally Posted by spokesinger View Post
    Actually, this is a (blessed - ) good idea. Try the liveCD. OLD advice, but sure. I will do so. I've been happy enough because I have 11.2 running wonderfully on another box - one of my main desktop units, so I wasn't thinking along this line. Doing this is easy, and fairly painless. Not too much time is involved, and a minimal amount of energy expended. Excellent!

    Thank you! Even if this does not work, it is worth the try.
    Ok - tried it, and oops - flash isn't installed by default. But, I went to yast and checked it off and installed it, along with 145 other things the installer thought I would now need. Came back an hour or so later when that was all done - and it worked. On some vids I did see the sound/vid timing issue I have seen in another thread, but the herky-jerky was gone and flash was usuable.

    Now we get to the truly interesting part. I tell my wife - I'll fix this tomorrow, today is pretty shot already. I know I'll need at least a couple, and probably a few, hours getting everything set just right. On my way out, I've rebooted her machine, and the update applet tells me "you need updates". Pull up the detail - guess what, one is for flash. I install the updates. I come back to her machine the next day, and run the browser to one of the vids I was using to check out the flash - soulcollectorsband. It ran.

    I kid you not - it just ran. Either it was the update - or the motherboard had a learning curve that the livecd got it through. So, I ain't touchin' it to put on 11.4 yet - even though I am now officially curious about LibreOffice - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    Thanks for the thoughts and help.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

    Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •