Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long delay after desktop appears

Default Long delay after desktop appears

After I boot up into 11.4, the desktop/icons appear but then there is a delay of about 20 - 30 seconds before the bottom-right task bar items appear. During that time, I can't start any applications. This happens on both desktop PC's, very frustrating and not present with 11.3. Has anybody else seen this? Is there a fix?
    ......but when it comes to computers, I've forgotten more than I ever knew.

Default Re: Long delay after desktop appears

I assume that you mean after boot AND login. Does it not happen after a logout and login again? In other words is this bound to the (maybe an automatic) login right after a boot?
    Henk van Velden

I am guessing that you mean the desktop appears but the delay is the time before you are able to use it?

I had the same problem and removed pulse audio and the problem went away - so I would guess that it was that that caused the problem. The simple test is the time it takes from when the desktop appears to when you hear the kde welcome sound. If you want to give it a try open yast and remove all pulse rpm's besides libpulse, libpulse 32 bit and libpulse mailnloop.

Same problem with me.It delays too long.Everything exept mouse seem to be hang.I try to update kernel to 2.6.38,KDE 4.6.1,still not hang.I've post a simular post but not answer.
    Opensuse in my laptop also have a problem.Sometimes,when I start up.I received a report Disabling IRQ #17.After,the extend mouse hang (while touchpad is OK),I can't change volume.
    Please help.

I've experienced this 20 second delay also. It does seem to be related to sound as the start up sound is also delayed 20 sec. But for me, it doesn't happen all the time.

When I booted up this morning, sound started at the same time as the desktop appeared.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petermcph View Post
    After I boot up into 11.4, the desktop/icons appear but then there is a delay of about 20 - 30 seconds before the bottom-right task bar items appear. During that time, I can't start any applications.
    My saved session includes an open xterm. That xterm appears fairly early, and I can then start applications from the xterm. However, I cannot start them with the mouse until I hear the opening sound, and that does seem to take forever to show up.

Initially, there was an additional complication on my laptop. After the xterm showed up, and I tried to do something in the xterm window, I was interrupted by kdewallet. However, I have since reconfigured the network manager plasmoid to keep the network keys unencrypted, so that kdewallet is not needed during startup.

If I logout from KDE, then login again, everything starts up much faster the second time. There is very little delay.

Here are some logs from my last desktop bootup:
    Code:
    Mar 27 11:48:41 nwr2 kernel: [  154.067834] i2c i2c-2: sendbytes: NAK bailout.
    Mar 27 11:52:46 nwr2 pulseaudio[7672]: pid.c: Daemon already running.
    Mar 27 11:52:46 nwr2 pulseaudio[7683]: pid.c: Daemon already running.
    Mar 27 11:52:46 nwr2 pulseaudio[4883]: module.c: Module "module-device-manager" should be loaded once at most. Refusing to load.
    You can see the 4 minute delay between an event that happened soon after boot, and the setup of pulseaudio.

It looks to me as if there is something funky about the way that pulseaudio is starting. Why is it generating those logs?

Incidently, those logs come from running xconsole. It is my impression that only warning and above severity is logged to xconsole.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Can you provide a slightly longer output from the desktop bootup than the 3 lines? Make it at least 8 lines in both directions around the 4 minute gap.

Reality is the system just didn't feel like writing a message for 4 minutes, IOW, the system does write messages every 1 sec. I'm not sure when or why its writing messages but there's plenty of time gaps in the logs files. Open "L Reality is thatog File Viewer", add the /var/log/messages file and you can see when the message file is populated.

Output from Dmesg or /var/log/boot.msg might be more helpful.
    Please use the [foo] wrappers [/foo] replacing "foo" with code
    or
    SUSE Paste to paste your output.
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tararpharazon View Post
    Reality is the system just didn't feel like writing a message for 4 minutes, IOW, the system does write messages every 1 sec.
    As I had said, those messages came from running xconsole, not from a log file. And it was a complete listing of early records on xconsole. However, I have now checked /var/log/messages, so here's a more complete list from there:
    Code:
    Mar 27 11:48:41 nwr2 kernel: [  154.067834] i2c i2c-2: sendbytes: NAK bailout.
    Mar 27 11:52:29 nwr2 polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-session:/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1 (system bus name :1.29, object path /org/kde/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8)
    Mar 27 11:52:29 nwr2 kernel: [  382.249512] [drm] nouveau 0000:00:05.0: nouveau_channel_free: freeing fifo 1
    Mar 27 11:52:29 nwr2 acpid: client 1584[0:0] has disconnected
    Mar 27 11:52:29 nwr2 acpid: client connected from 7393[0:0]
    Mar 27 11:52:29 nwr2 acpid: 1 client rule loaded
    Mar 27 11:52:30 nwr2 kernel: [  382.632714] [drm] nouveau 0000:00:05.0: Allocating FIFO number 1
    Mar 27 11:52:30 nwr2 kernel: [  382.633305] [drm] nouveau 0000:00:05.0: nouveau_channel_alloc: initialised FIFO 1
    Mar 27 11:52:35 nwr2 checkproc: checkproc: can not get session id for process 2133!
    Mar 27 11:52:46 nwr2 pulseaudio[7672]: pid.c: Daemon already running.
    Mar 27 11:52:46 nwr2 pulseaudio[7683]: pid.c: Daemon already running.
    Mar 27 11:52:46 nwr2 pulseaudio[4883]: module.c: Module "module-device-manager" should be loaded once at most. Refusing to load.
    There were also a bunch of unimportant firewall records, which are only in "/var/log/messages" because of a bug in rsyslogd. I removed those, because they are only clutter. But they do fill in the gaps. The system wasn't completely idle in that interval.

Quote Originally Posted by tararpharazon View Post
    Output from Dmesg or /var/log/boot.msg might be more helpful.
    Output from "dmesg" is mostly firewall records. Output from "dmesg" and records in "boot.msg" do not have time stamps, so it is difficult to correlate them with the delays in login to KDE. What is in boot.msg probably all happened before any of the log records that I posted.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Thank you all for the info. Getting rid of Pulse Audio has done the trick
    ......but when it comes to computers, I've forgotten more than I ever knew.

I had this problem until i installed proprietary drivers for my graphic card (ati).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast