Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to Terms and Conditions for forums.opensuse.org

Blog Entries

Default Changes to Terms and Conditions for forums.opensuse.org

FYI folks.

This clause in the T&C:
    In recognition of the diversity of backgrounds of the members and in the interests of community harmony, religious or political comment is not allowed.
    has been changed to read as follows:
    In recognition of the diversity of backgrounds of the members and in the interests of community harmony, religious or political comment is not allowed. Messages personally attacking, calling names, or otherwise harassing or being condescending to another forum member or any ethnic or religious group will be deleted. Offensive and/or vulgar language is not appropriate for openSUSE sponsored forums. Violation of these terms may result in being suspended or banned from forum participation.
    Regards
    swerdna
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Default Re: Changes to Terms and Conditions for forums.opensuse.org

Does this mean I can't call people noob anymore because it makes them feel inadequate?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    Does this mean I can't call people noob anymore because it makes them feel inadequate?
    What does that mean
    Is it like Newbie?

Just kidding...
    People give themselves that label any way.
    "Hey I'm a noob (newbie) - I need help mounting partitions"!

Heidi, I think you understand exactly what the T&C are about
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    "Hey I'm a noob (newbie) - I need help mounting partitions"!
    Just a hunch, but I don't think she was asking about self-abuse.

I'm just being facetious >

Sulzbach (Taunus), Hessen [Hesse], Deutschland [Germany]

Wink Re: Changes to Terms and Conditions for forums.opensuse.org

Would it be a violation of the Terms and Conditions if I would call someone a "member of the Terms-and-Conditions-testing-group"?
    /

Regards
    Martin
    (pistazienfresser)

I have to disagree - for someone to call themselves a noob or newb is one thing. Applying these labels to someone else is pejorative, denigratory, and aggressive. Think of it like this:

"I am a crybaby."

"You are a crybaby."

They conjure completely different settings, feelings, the whole ball of wax.

Even Chrysantine's phrasing in her question reflects an aggressive and insulting verbal attitude.
    because it makes them feel inadequate?
    is an assumption and an inference. This is a technique for verbal sparring - not cooperative teamwork. It's like the kids in the schoolyard calling each other chicken. The objective is to be hurtful and demeaning.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    I'm just being facetious >
    Wow - this thread grew in a hurry. I'm adding a reply to my reply, to recognize that Chrysantine was identifying her original post as humorous. Ok - that is a nice thing for her to do. Humor is a difficult thing to put into writing - you lose all the body language and cues you normally get.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Learn from the mistakes of others. You cant live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spokesinger View Post
    I have to disagree - for someone to call themselves a noob or newb is one thing. Applying these labels to someone else is pejorative, denigratory, and aggressive. Think of it like this:

"I am a crybaby."

"You are a crybaby."

They conjure completely different settings, feelings, the whole ball of wax.

Even Chrysantine's phrasing in her question reflects an aggressive and insulting verbal attitude. is an assumption and an inference. This is a technique for verbal sparring - not cooperative teamwork. It's like the kids in the schoolyard calling each other chicken. The objective is to be hurtful and demeaning.
    This makes sense

We were all just jesting. If you knew Heidi, you would know there is history.

Much depends on the way the language reads. But IMO, you are better not to go there in the first place.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

This whole thread is a bunch of %&#@. And anybody that disagrees with me is a big *$##&)@!
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast