Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making a simple webserver

Default making a simple webserver

Yahoo email won't transfer a video I want send to an instructor. I need to make a simple webserver so they can download it directly off my computer. In previous versions of suse, you put the file into a folder. I want to setup to allow them to download it as an http address. They are a computer novice. So, it can't require any software to download and install, just a web browser like IE or Firefox. It must be private, so no one else can download or look at it.

Default Re: making a simple webserver

IMHO you are asking for contradictory things.
    I do not know where in your opinion a web server starts being not "simple" anymore, but a web server is by design for letting everyone in. You can configgure a userid/password scheme for (parts of) the web pages, but do you still call that "simple"? And of course you have to configure and start a web server (Apache), just putting the file "somewhere" is not enough.

Downloading files while checking for a user identification in a secure way is normaly done by using SFTP that is part of SSH. You state that installing software in the client is out of bounds, but I can not tell if the SSH client is allready there or not. In any case configuring an SSH deamon on your site (including sftp) must be done.
    Henk van Velden

If the video you are sendind is not confidential, you can upload it to a public ftp and send them the link. Otherwise, for file transferring purposes, you need to setup a ftp server on your part, and they can acess that server via a browser (I am sure firefox does it, but I am not so sure about others.) Other options you can take includes rapidshare upload, direct e-mail (depends on how large the video is, since you cant send big files as attachment.). But if you insist on setting up a http server, easiest way would be installing web server patterns from yast, and than you can configure it from yast too. When you launch your server, they can access to your server using http://[your ip address goes here]. If you want to take a name too, there is No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP who offers free domain names. And there is a small tutorial that I wrote about configurin a nginx server, you can find it here: Nginx server with PHP
    The only problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes trouble shoots back.
    My blog (in Turkish): http://yasar.serveblog.net

Want to show something on your machine to someone over the web? Don't copy it or upload it somewhere. Just run "webshare" and the current directory and everything beneath it will be served from a new web server listening on port 8000. When your pal is finished, hit control-c.

Code:
    alias webshare='python -c "import SimpleHTTPServer;SimpleHTTPServer.test()"'
    Lenovo: OpenSUSE 11.4/32 | Xfce 4.8.1 | Intel Core2 Duo T7200 | Intel 945GM/GMS | 4G RAM | Firefox 8.0 | Thunderbird 3.1.16

On 2011-03-28 06:06, lord valarian wrote:
    >
    > Yahoo email won't transfer a video I want send to an instructor. I need
    > to make a simple webserver so they can download it directly off my
    > computer. In previous versions of suse, you put the file into a folder.
    > I want to setup to allow them to download it as an http address. They
    > are a computer novice. So, it can't require any software to download and
    > install, just a web browser like IE or Firefox. It must be private, so
    > no one else can download or look at it.

Installing apache and creating trivial pages is simple. However, keeping it
    private means login/pass, which is not that simple.

Or you can create an ftp server, which comes with passwords by default.
    Also easy.

That's assuming you are talking of a LAN. Internet access is not that
    simple, better use a sharing service.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
    Want to show something on your machine to someone over the web? Don't copy it or upload it somewhere. Just run "webshare" and the current directory and everything beneath it will be served from a new web server listening on port 8000. When your pal is finished, hit control-c.

Code:
    alias webshare='python -c "import SimpleHTTPServer;SimpleHTTPServer.test()"'
    Hmm. I like this one Cool trick!
    The only problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes trouble shoots back.
    My blog (in Turkish): http://yasar.serveblog.net

Quote Originally Posted by yasar11732 View Post
    Hmm. I like this one Cool trick!
    Yes, amazing. I do not know what the security level is here, but amazing indeed.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Yes, amazing. I do not know what the security level is here, but amazing indeed.
    No Security unless you count Ctrl+c

but it does satisfy the OP's request.
    Lenovo: OpenSUSE 11.4/32 | Xfce 4.8.1 | Intel Core2 Duo T7200 | Intel 945GM/GMS | 4G RAM | Firefox 8.0 | Thunderbird 3.1.16

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post

but it does satisfy the OP's request.
    O yes, it does and very easy.

And as long as you start it, tell the other one to download now and stop it immediatly after download, the risks are managable.
    Henk van Velden

hcvv wrote:
    > And as long as you start it, tell the other one to download now and
    > stop it immediatly after download, the risks are managable.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned just encrypting the content as a
    solution to the security issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast