Thread: Printer seizes to function since 11.4 - "There is no print queue."

Unhappy Printer seizes to function since 11.4 - "There is no print queue."

Since I changed my System from openSUSE 11.3 x86_64 to openSUSE 11.4 x86_64 my printer (Samsung ML-2850 via USB) seizes to function (clean installation).

The printer connects to two machines via a KVM-switch. On the other machine (Windows 7 x64/Windows XP x64) the printer is working fine. This did not change when I switched the Cables/KVM-ports.

In addition, when I was using openSUSE 11.3 x86_64 the printer also worked fine.

All necessary CUPS-packages are installed:

Code:
    # zypper se -i | grep -i cups
    i | cups               | The Common UNIX Printing System                                 | package
    i | cups-backends      | Additional Backends for CUPS                                    | package
    i | cups-client        | CUPS Client Programs                                            | package
    i | cups-libs          | Libraries for CUPS                                              | package
    i | cups-libs-32bit    | Libraries for CUPS                                              | package
    i | cups-pk-helper     | PolicyKit helper to configure cups with fine-grained privileges | package
    i | gutenprint         | Printer drivers for CUPS from the Gutenprint project            | package
    i | libgnomecups       | GNOME CUPS Library                                              | package
    i | python-cups        | Python Bindings for CUPS                                        | package
    i | python-cupshelpers | High-level Python Bindings for CUPS                             | package
    YAST tells me: "There is no print queue."

Regrettably, searching for a solution on Google revealed nothing applicable. In fact, I seem to be the only one having this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards, Nachaz

Blog Entries

Default Re: Printer seizes to function since 11.4 - "There is no print queue."

Did you use the YaST tool to configure your local printer? Have a look with the CUPS http interface (via a browser)

Code:
    http://localhost:631/printers
    Check that the printer is properly configured. It can be modified from there if necessary.

Can you post the output of

Code:
    sudo cat /etc/cups/printers.conf
    That is where your printers are defined.

On 2011-03-27 15:36, nachaz wrote:
    > YAST tells me: "There is no print queue."

I would say that you haven not configured the printer in cups or yast.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Don't you need the proprietary unified driver from Samsung for this?

Blog Entries

I'm assuming that since the OP claims to have had this running with 11.3, they're aware of the configuration steps, and that its not working as expected. In any case a CUPS error log and/or /etc/cups/printers.conf would be helpful.

Sorry,

the printer-driver seems no longer to be integrated into the distribution (11.4 vs. 11.3).

I downloaded the proprietary driver from samsung and now everything runs just fine!

Thanks for your help!

On 2011-03-30 00:36, nachaz wrote:
    >
    > Sorry,
    >
    > the printer-driver seems no longer to be integrated into the
    > distribution (11.4 vs. 11.3).

If that is so, and it is not in another package, you should report in Bugzilla.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)