Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How to install Firefox4

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Yonghe District, New Taipei City, Taiwan (R.O.C.) - UTC+8
    Posts
    18

    Question How to install Firefox4

    My Linux is openSUSE v11.3 64-bit (traditional chinese).
    My question is, how to install Firefox4?
    Firefox website has released Firefox4 for linux, but I've no idea how to install it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,731
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How to install Firefox4

    It's in the openSUSE Update repository. Do an online update in Yast, should come in.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Fictionland
    Posts
    1,477

    Default Re: How to install Firefox4

    @swerdna: slightly OT, are there any plans to put FF4 also into the Evergreen Repos of Opensuse?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    657

    Default Re: How to install Firefox4

    Quote Originally Posted by johnhmj View Post
    My Linux is openSUSE v11.3 64-bit (traditional chinese).
    My question is, how to install Firefox4?
    Firefox website has released Firefox4 for linux, but I've no idea how to install it.
    Add the Mozilla repository to the list of your configured and enabled repositories. There are several ways to do that; for instance in YaST Software Repositories click "Add" and then select "Community Repositories", and from the list chose "openSUSE Buildservice - Mozilla."

    Once you have added the Mozilla Repository, start YaST Software Management, filter for the Mozilla repository, and then click "Switch system packages to the versions in this repository."

    Should work.

    ETA: In case the urls for the Mozilla repos are needed you can get them from here:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_pa...tories#Mozilla

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    657

    Default Re: How to install Firefox4

    Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    It's in the openSUSE Update repository. Do an online update in Yast, should come in.
    In 11.4 yes, in 11.3 no.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How to install Firefox4

    The fact is that nobody really want to make the effort to integrate FF4 in old Suse 11.3-repos especially all the depending stuff arround the FF. So the version-support of 11.3 becomes to a deception. You can try it by yourself or you can't use FF4.
    BTW this is one reason that many newcomers go back to other OS's because of Suse has no really long term support!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: How to install Firefox4

    pschulze59 wrote:

    >
    > The fact is that nobody really want to make the effort to integrate FF4
    > in old Suse 11.3-repos especially all the depending stuff arround the
    > FF. So the version-support of 11.3 becomes to a deception. You can try
    > it by yourself or you can't use FF4.
    > BTW this is one reason that many newcomers go back to other OS's
    > because of Suse has no really long term support!
    >

    I do not understand this comment. What is the reason you say it is not
    integrated in the "old" 11.3 repositories?
    Is the mozilla repo for 11.3 no 11.3 repository? FF4 is not automatically in
    the updates, but this is intended.
    FF4 runs fine for some time now and well integrated in my 11.3 just by
    adding the corresponding community repo. So what?

    --
    PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.2 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
    ION | 3GB Ram

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •