Thread: nvidia geforce 310m

Default nvidia geforce 310m

Hi,

I am having a sony viao laptop with a geforce 310m cuda in it. I tried various distributions and could find until no solution for the installation. I wanted to know if somebody would be able to give an idea if suse 11.4 would be able to handle the graphic-drivers.

Would be nice to see how my chances stand before I will install again....

For all hints I am grateful,

yours Freddle

Default Re: nvidia geforce 310m

I'm assuming you've got an F11. Mine has a GT300m in it (just a step above) & it works fine. 11.4 comes with an opensource driver that will run the chip at the highest resolution and you can also install Nvidia drivers. The only reason you would need to install Nvidia drivers is if you encounter problems or want to game. I did installed them (its a pretty easy process).
    Vaio F11: i7-720QM 8GB RAM Nvidia GT 330m
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit | openSuse 11.4 64 bit | Arch Linux 64 bit

Hi,

That is great news. Gaming would make me nervous anyhow. I did use several distributions and lost a lot of time. Now I feel confident in trying again.

Thanks a lot. Mine is a VPCS11C5E - guess that this will not change anything....

Thanks

Freddle

Good luck
    If you do decided to install the Nvidia drivers here is a pretty good guide: SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE
    Vaio F11: i7-720QM 8GB RAM Nvidia GT 330m
    Win 7 Pro 64 bit | openSuse 11.4 64 bit | Arch Linux 64 bit

Thank you for helping so much. I am so happy with those linux-forums. I will pick a time and then go ahead with the installation.

Thanks

Hi,

Just wanted to say that it went all well with the installation and the drivers do their job very well.

There are other issues with skype and vmware etc., but I will check the forum first.

How do I put the thread on "solved"?

thanks

Freddle

Blog Entries

Smile Re: nvidia geforce 310m (Solved!)

Freddle
    Hi,

Just wanted to say that it went all well with the installation and the drivers do their job very well.

There are other issues with skype and vmware etc., but I will check the forum first.

How do I put the thread on "solved"?

thanks

Freddle
    Only moderators could add something to the original title, but normally all I do is change the title on my message like on this message. It normally works just fine for anyone reading through the message thread. And, we are happy to hear of your solution and welcome you to the openSUSE forums.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas