Thread: Power Managenet in KDE (11.4)

Default Power Managenet in KDE (11.4)

First off, when I click on the settings button from the pop-up window that appears when I click on the battery icon on the taskbar nothing happens.

I can access the power-management settings from the KDE system settings. However, I can't see a way to change the cpu govenor. Previously (Mandriva 10.2 KDE 4.3) I could alter the governor from the power profiles tab (e.g. use performance under the performance profile, ondemand under powersave or whatever).

Should they be there? Is there some other way of getting the cpu govenor to use different profiles with different power settings?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Power Managenet in KDE (11.4)

There is one more cpu configuration that is part of YaST. DO the following:

YaST / Software / Software Management / Search on Power and Install yast2-powermanagement and exit YaST. Then Goto

YaST / System / Power Management and Just Press Finish. The first time this is run, the service pm-profiler must be started and you may even get an error message. So, now try this one more time:

YaST / System / Power Management and select one of the three profiles. For the fastest CPU speed I use Low Latency Computing. On a laptop you would use Power Saving. There is also Balance Low Latency Computing and Default is what ever your PC was doing before you loaded this YaST utility.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Power Managenet in KDE (11.4)

OK, got that thanks and it oes gie me some more control. But is there no way in OpenSUSE to choose the cpufreq governor short of writing to /proc? The yast2 powermanagement may do it, but it doesn't tell you what governor it is using. And more to the point is there no way of getting the governor to change automatically depending on the power state?

I thought this was part of KDE, but perhaps it was something that Mandriva added to KDE power management on their distro.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Power Managenet in KDE (11.4)

I thought this was part of KDE, but perhaps it was something that Mandriva added to KDE power management on their distro.
    As I understand it, cpu speed control was removed from KDE starting with version 4.5 and continues to 4.6, but I do not know the answer as to way such an action was taken.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas