Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: New folders being deleted

  1. #1

    Default New folders being deleted

    Here is a strange one for you all.

    Just installed OpenSUSE 11.4 a few days ago and am totally updated.

    When in KDE, if I create a new, empty folder using Dolphin or Konsole (Or from any application within KDE) and then log out, the folder is deleted. If I create a folder and put some data in it, then it stays.

    When I ctrl+alt+f1 to a console and create an empty folder, then it stays, so its just inside KDE where this happens.

    Im not even sure how to troubleshoot this. I checked dmesg and some log files, but don’t see anything of interest.

    I installed OpenSUSE 11.4 into a Virtual machine and it did the same thing, so this doesn’t appear to be an isolated issue; sounds like a pretty major bug. I wanted to get some ideas from here before I submit a bug report, however.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks!
    Joe

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: New folders being deleted

    Here is a strange one for you all.

    Just installed OpenSUSE 11.4 a few days ago and am totally updated.

    When in KDE, if I create a new, empty folder using Dolphin or Konsole (Or from any application within KDE) and then log out, the folder is deleted. If I create a folder and put some data in it, then it stays.

    When I ctrl+alt+f1 to a console and create an empty folder, then it stays, so its just inside KDE where this happens.

    Im not even sure how to troubleshoot this. I checked dmesg and some log files, but dont see anything of interest.

    I installed OpenSUSE 11.4 into a Virtual machine and it did the same thing, so this doesnt appear to be an isolated issue; sounds like a pretty major bug. I wanted to get some ideas from here before I submit a bug report, however.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks!
    Joe
    I just created a folder I called test (/home/james/test) in my home area as a standard user (not as root), it is empty and then I logged out of KDE and then back in and this test folder is still there. So I am thinking it has to be the name you use for the folder or the location you are creating this folder or your user persona that is the problem. Could you be much more specific as to what , where and as who you are creating this folder that is going away on you after logging out and then back into KDE?

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3

    Default Re: New folders being deleted

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    I just created a folder I called test (/home/james/test) in my home area as a standard user (not as root), it is empty and then I logged out of KDE and then back in and this test folder is still there. So I am thinking it has to be the name you use for the folder or the location you are creating this folder or your user persona that is the problem. Could you be much more specific as to what , where and as who you are creating this folder that is going away on you after logging out and then back into KDE?

    Thank You,
    Hi, and thanks for the reply!

    Well, I am trying to create a folder called JoesGames in /home/jgiles. I can create the folder but if I don't put anything in it, and log out, then back in, its just not there anymore.

    If I create the same folder from a console login, then it stays.

    Should I try deleting my .kde4 directory and start again? Maybe I set something or some profile setting and don't remember :-D.

    Joe

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: New folders being deleted

    Hi, and thanks for the reply!

    Well, I am trying to create a folder called JoesGames in /home/jgiles. I can create the folder but if I don't put anything in it, and log out, then back in, its just not there anymore.

    If I create the same folder from a console login, then it stays.

    Should I try deleting my .kde4 directory and start again? Maybe I set something or some profile setting and don't remember :-D.

    Joe
    Well I would just create another user, log in as that person and try the test again, before I removed my primary log in. I can imagine having almost any problem but the difficult thing to understand is the ability to duplicate this in more than one copy of openSUSE. Right now if I run Dolphin, I see that it is listed as version 1.6 and that KDE is listed as 4.6.0 release 6. Perhaps we need the same info from you.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  5. #5

    Default Re: New folders being deleted

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Well I would just create another user, log in as that person and try the test again, before I removed my primary log in. I can imagine having almost any problem but the difficult thing to understand is the ability to duplicate this in more than one copy of openSUSE. Right now if I run Dolphin, I see that it is listed as version 1.6 and that KDE is listed as 4.6.0 release 6. Perhaps we need the same info from you.

    Thank You,
    Here are the versions:
    kdebase4-4.6.0-6.6.2.x86_64
    dolphin-4.6.0-6.6.2.x86_64

    Here is my repo list:
    # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh
    ---+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+---------+--------
    1 | Tumbleweed | Tumbleweed | Yes | Yes
    2 | Updates-for-openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0 | Yes | Yes
    3 | download.opensuse.org-standard | Main Repository (Contrib) | Yes | Yes
    4 | ftp.uni-erlangen.de-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes
    5 | games | games | Yes | Yes
    6 | libdvdcss repository | libdvdcss repository | Yes | Yes
    7 | openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 | Yes | No
    8 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.4-Debug | No | Yes
    9 | repo-debug-update | openSUSE-11.4-Update-Debug | No | Yes
    10 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes
    11 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.4-Oss | Yes | Yes
    12 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.4-Source | No | Yes
    13 | virtualbox | virtualbox | Yes | Yes
    14 | wine | wine | Yes | Yes

    Yeah, I installed VirtualBox on the same machine and it does the same thing. One thing to note, however, is that I copied over my profile to the VM.

    I will try to create a new user later when I get home; I am at work now and do not have gui access. However, I do have ssh access so if you need any log files or other information I can get from console, let me know.

    Thanks so much!
    Joe

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: New folders being deleted

    Yeah, I installed VirtualBox on the same machine and it does the same thing. One thing to note, however, is that I copied over my profile to the VM.

    I will try to create a new user later when I get home; I am at work now and do not have gui access. However, I do have ssh access so if you need any log files or other information I can get from console, let me know.

    Thanks so much!
    Joe
    Well I am thinking a new user is the way to go and if there is a problem with your persona, a new user without the problem would explain a lot. I will be online tonight as well and will see your response when you get home, if not too late.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,863

    Default Re: New folders being deleted

    You could at least do some tests from a terminal window for your own satisfaction and also to be able to show us here (within CODE tags of course).

    Thus you open a terminal window and then do (from your home directory):
    Code:
    ls -l JoesGames
    to show that is does not exist.
    Then create the directory in the way you do this all the time and then repeat the statement above to show if it exists or not.

    Then log out and log in and again do the statement to prove that it is gone.

    This is what is called: gathering faccts.

    When it is realy gone, then you can repeat this, but between logout and login you could go to the console on logical screen 1 (with Ctrl-Alt-F1) log in there and look if it vanished at the logout or later at login.

    HTH
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8

    Default Re: New folders being deleted

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You could at least do some tests from a terminal window for your own satisfaction and also to be able to show us here (within CODE tags of course).

    Thus you open a terminal window and then do (from your home directory):
    Code:
    ls -l JoesGames
    to show that is does not exist.
    Then create the directory in the way you do this all the time and then repeat the statement above to show if it exists or not.

    Then log out and log in and again do the statement to prove that it is gone.

    This is what is called: gathering faccts.

    When it is realy gone, then you can repeat this, but between logout and login you could go to the console on logical screen 1 (with Ctrl-Alt-F1) log in there and look if it vanished at the logout or later at login.

    HTH
    Well, the problem with this, is from a terminal log in (via local console (ctrl+alt+f1)) or remote ssh session, it works without issue. I can create the directory and log out and back in and it remains. Its just from the KDE log in from gui where it does this.

    I will try to get a video of it from my camera to show. Its really bizarre for sure .

    Joe

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: New folders being deleted

    On 03/25/2011 06:06 PM, Joeg1484 wrote:
    >
    > I will try to get a video of it from my camera to show. Its really
    > bizarre for sure .


    couldn't you make a series of screen shots, and up load to
    paste.opensus.org ??

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
    173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
    "It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
    to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,863

    Default Re: New folders being deleted

    You did not understand what I said. In short I said to CHECK FROM THE CONSOLE what happens when you CREATE FROM KDE. Please read again my recipe. Everything you do from KDE should be checked from the console. You should work methodicaly.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •